Shrink wrap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Randomwake

Vessel Name
Random wake
Vessel Make
76’ CHB 34’ tricabin
Hi there!

I have a 34’ trawler and live in Pacific Northwest. I got my boat shrink wrapped for the first time. Much to my dismay there’s water droplets everywhere. Better than out in the rain but was hoping it would be dry. After the shrink wrap I ran a HD blower and cranked the diesel heater for 24hrs to dry up residual Moisture. I have a small store dry dehumidifier running inside the boat cabin, no heat.

Is there more I should be doing or try another heat cycle? Air dryer pellets? Or is this just the way it’s gonna be in our climate?

TIA!

Do you have vents in the wrap? Maybe add more bents.

Is the boat in the water? Is anyone staying aboard or there for much of the day?

Water in the bilge? Amy accumulated moisture will condense inside the shrink wrapping under the right conditions.

Here in the Mid-Atlantic states, most wraps have vents installed....does yours?

Greetings,
Mr. R. As has been mentioned, ventilation. Some sort of covered vents to allow inflow but keep rain/snow out as well as, if possible, powered fans to exhaust the air inside the shrink wrap covered by a weatherproof vent. I can appreciate the humidity factor but IF you keep sufficient airflow condensation should be minimized inside your enclosure

Personal take. Sealing things off is a two edged sword. My experience with that is more on the dirt home front.

A few dirt home houses ago I moved for job reasons, and decided to build. A hot new-ish thing then was the exterior siding in Dryvit, the synthetic stucco. Coupled with stone in some sections for accent, I liked the look back then.

I learned a lot watching the installation, this being pre-internet when research resources were harder to come by. So you have the structural walls, with insulation between the studs. On the inside you have drywall, taped and painted, and even foam insulation spray in and around electric plugs. Then going outward you have 4x8 plywood with taped and sealed seams. On top of that then goes about half inch styrofoam with sealed seams, and on top of that goes the Dryvit coating that is itself air tight. You have layer upon layer of air tight construction.

When I moved in I was delighted. It was so incredibly tight and thermal controlled. My heat bill was as close to zero as one can get.

But a few months in I'm going back to the contractors. Is there any such thing as a heat exchanger system for residential use, like is standard in sealed highrise offices to constantly bring in fresh air? Their look was deer in the headlights. Never heard of that in residential. Nope, nothing exists.

Middle of the winter I found myself opening windows to air the place out. Stale air. Humidity. Just needed more oxygen. It was living inside of a balloon.

Cutting out some chapters in the story to cut to the chase, the problem with that construction was houses built that way rot from the inside out. Normal life creates humidity and there is no escape. A half dozen years later I'm selling for another job move and I too had one small area an inspector found a problem in.

I understand the appeal of wrapping. I also lived with the effects of it. New build, first winter for me. I was shocked to see the cost of a wrap. It would have not quite doubled my yard winter storage costs. But worst is to pay that price and then battle the internal problems.

I am now trying to finally complete the renovation of a 120 year old home. Much more drafty than new ones. So the winter problem is everything dries out bone dry.

The usual response to such stuff is "it all depends on the installation." Right. And my retort is, then I guess I just have a talent for having the wrong installers.

You have taken a boat that was already probably pretty tight, as boats are built to be. You then tighten it. Condensation is unavoidable. And it gets raised in out of the way spots you can't see.

If the point of it all is to protect gelcoat and make spring cleanup easier, I'm going to experiment with a different route next season. I ran out of time this season and could not possibly get there. As I was about to haul I was told of a wax product you use in a hose end sprayer kinda like those cannisters for garden fertilizer. Give the boat a fast cleaning, then spray the whole thing down with that wax whose only mission is enough protection to ease things in the spring. Not designed to replace normal wax jobs.

I can't use heaters or dehumidifiers in my yard. The buckets of stuff that dehumidify have limitations. I'm not wrapped. When next near the boat at Christmas I'll be swapping out the buckets for fresh ones, and really hope to find a really dry air day to just open it up and dry it out that way with fresh dry air, every cabinet door and drawer and hatch wide open.

My two cents

My experience was early 90's.

Common in high rise office scale. No one had heard of it in use in residential.

Maybe it did exist, somewhere. But if you don't have a contractor who knows of it and can do it right, it may as well not exist.

You either need ventilation and some small amount of heat inside, or a dehumidifier to remove the moisture from the air. Either will give you dry air inside the wrap.

Almost every boat here that is stored outside is shrink wrapped. If you put in proper vents, and the correct amount of vents, you don’t have a problem. There are a very few that don’t shrink, mostly sailboats, but maybe less than 5% of the boats aren’t wrapped. If there really was a problem with condensation then there wouldn’t be that many wrapped. The wrap keeps snow and rain off the boats. Why is that important, because when water gets between fittings and the deck, for example, and it freezes then the gap widens and eventually starts to leak.

Different environments have different condensation issues.

"Almost every boat here that is stored outside is shrink wrapped. If you put in proper vents, and the correct amount of vents, you don’t have a problem. There are a very few that don’t shrink, mostly sailboats, but maybe less than 5% of the boats aren’t wrapped. If there really was a problem with condensation then there wouldn’t be that many wrapped. The wrap keeps snow and rain off the boats. Why is that important, because when water gets between fittings and the deck, for example, and it freezes then the gap widens and eventually starts to leak."

"Different environments have different condensation issues."

I can certainly see the point in MI.

I owned boats for close to 30 years in MD before wrap existed. Never missed it. Not aware of anyone who had problems because they lacked it. I'm back in MD.

This boat has many fewer deck fittings than my old sailboats. I can't yet think of a single place where water would pool enough to lead to wicking under some loose fitting, where wrap would solve something.

But hey, that's just me, in my location, with my boat. Your mileage may vary.

A dehumidifier will solve your problem, but only if the shrink wrap can be very tightly sealed. Like tape all around the perimeter. It takes very little air infiltration to completely defeat a dehumidifier. The dehumidifier has to be rigged to drain overboard, not into the bilge or you are just recycling the moisture. It will take days, maybe a week to dry out, then the dehumidifier will start to cycle. If well sealed, it will run maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the time. You cannot run it when the temperature is lower than about 45 or 50 (unless it is a desiccant type) - the evaporated will freeze.

Boats with low point drains, especially those with cockpits need to be very careful of letting snow melt then freeze over the drains. In places with lots of snow and or rain cycles and the boat unattended all winter damage can occur.

Usually cockpit covers are good enough but bad fits and leakage result in problems and even cover destruction. Then again so will a bad shrink wrap job.

Boating like a lot of things in life requires different local knowledge as not all behavior/preparation applies everywhere.

Always best to seek knowledgeable advice (not necessarily old salt advice) and do a bit of research on any debatable topic in your area and then apply it to your situation.

Last edited:
I put a dehumidifier on a timer and configured a drain tube that emptied thru the galley sink.
Also had a few of the small round warmer/heaters placed around the interior....engine space, cabins, etc. Just enough to keep the temps above freezing in the interior.

This seemed to handle the moisture well.

Is the boat in the water? Is anyone staying aboard or there for much of the day?

Water in the bilge? Amy accumulated moisture will condense inside the shrink wrapping under the right conditions.

Here in the Mid-Atlantic states, most wraps have vents installed....does yours?

Boats in land, nobody in it. Yes 4 vents. But they are in the middle of the wrap, thought they would be near the top.

Boats in land, nobody in it. Yes 4 vents. But they are in the middle of the wrap, thought they would be near the top.

As long as the moisture is just condensation on the inside of the wrap, probably no big deal. Inside the boat...big deal.....

I would think for it to be normal on the inside of the wrap.....warm air inside the "tent" can absorb more moisture from the air and as the outside temp cools at night, moisture forms on the inside of the plastic.

Without a way to get more airflow through.... should just be like a morning dew inside.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom