Single wt oil in Northern Lights Generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
We’ve had our GB 42 trawler for three years. We just finished the Great Loop. Not the purpose of the post but guess I’ll share that we are going to sell her. We will look for a smaller trawler probably in the 27 to 32 range. Hadn’t planned to list it here. Hadn’t even thought of it until now but maybe I should. There has been quite a bit of interest just from people that follow “Loopers” and want to see our boat when we are ready to show in a week or two.
I hired out having oil and filters changed on both engines and the generators. I failed to tell the boatyard that the Northern Lights (4,600 hrs), uses Delo Multi-grade. He used Shell Rotella T -30 Wt which is what the twin Ford Lehman’s run. I provided the oil so when quantities left over didn’t add up that’s when I realized. I got out my manual and it clearly notes that either route is okay. I should point out the boat lives in the Southeast US, so the beneficial temperature range with multigrades isn’t a need here.
I haven’t run it yet although they of course ran it briefly. I actually like the simplicity of just one brand/wt. oil. I used both simply because prior owners did.
What thoughts do you folks have on this? I don’t anticipate issues, but want the support of you more experienced mechanical minded. It’s no real problem to switch it back to what it has been used to if that’s best.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom