Siren Marine Placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwag956

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Scrimshaw
Vessel Make
1989 GB 42 Classic
I am looking at installing a Siren Marine 3 and am interested in where others have placed the main unit. It needs both GPS and cellular reception. I have found that my cell phone reception drops off a lot once I'm in the engine room (GB42). Is the cellular reception that much better than a cell phone due to the larger and external antenna?

The installation guides don't really say much but 'place away from metal'. Thoughts and experiences appreciated.

I have no experience with these but generally Location will affect almost all of these devices. Often needed is a booster of some sort especially for when you want the cell monitor function away from the boat so you can see what the Siren says.

The lower the physical installation and the more metal around the more likely the signals will be degraded to the point of uselessness.

If you are mounting the transmitter in the E.R. then to me you need something to get any signals, to and from your device, out and up so the signals have a chance.

If your cell cannot operate or operates only poorly in the E.R. then for your system it needs help. A booster of some sort.

My Siren 3 Pro is in the engine room. With the antennas that comes with the unit I have marginal reception. I bought an external all in one gps and cellular antenna with a 15ft extension and put the antenna up on my fly bridge.

Siren uses standard SMA connections so nothing special

Thanks - can you share which antenna you chose?

I installed a SirenPro3 about a month ago. The directions regarding the location for the main hub are a bit vague, so to be safe I mounted it in the pilot house. The cell reception has been very good so far.

Their YouTube channel has a lot of good videos regarding installation, and their tech support was pretty good as well when I called with a few questions.

Overall, a good system and I am very happy with it.

I put mine in a cabinet in the pilothouse. I didn't use any wireless sensors, so all the connections were within 10' of the unit. Ended up using some sealed relays to input the high water alarms off the second bilge pump in each compartment.

Ted

I have the older mtc . I put mine in the lower helm electrical cabinet so most signals could be in the same cabinet . be sure to fuse + signals .
only the temperature sensors leave the cabinet and they didn't have to be extended .one to the engine room and one to the galley .

Back
Top Bottom