Splicing together 3/8 chain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
Asking for a "friend",
Can you connect two pieces of 3/8 anchor chain in a way that allows it to still go through the gypsy? I did a quick google search and don't think I'd trust the few items that cam up.

Thnx

I’ll give it a maybe. I would say no, but I met someone who did it.

He used a link like Soo-Valley linked to. I don’t think the link actually matches any of the common anchor chain link sizes, proof coil, BBB or G40.

It is also weaker than G40. All that said the guy I met had joined two sections of G40 with one of those links and it went through his windlass. He didn’t seem worried about the chain being weaker.

I don’t think it’s a great idea.

I used one of the Crosby links to add on to my BBB chain. It's rated roughly the same as BBB and it is a quality piece that I will never loose any sleep worrying about coming loose. Passes thru my windless fine.

I've used them. But not on anchor chain.. They are prone to failure. You put the pieces through the chain, hold them together while you peen the pins to keep the pieces together. The peened "mushroomed" pins are the weak point. The mushroomed pin wears, the pieces can separate. For chain that is under constant tension they're probably trustworthy. An anchor rode is tight then loose repeatedly as you deploy, recover and pass it over the wildcat. I've only used them as an emergency repair. The entire length of chain to be replaced ASAP.

Last edited:
I've used them. But not on anchor chain.. They are prone to failure. You put the pieces through the chain, hold them together while you peen the pins to keep the pieces together. The peened "mushroomed" pins are the weak point. The mushroomed pin wears, the pieces can separate. For chain that is under constant tension they're probably trustworthy. An anchor rode is tight then loose repeatedly as you deploy, recover and pass it over the wildcat. I've only used them as an emergency repair. The entire length of chain to be replaced ASAP.

Have you had one fail? or someone you know had one fail? I am puzzled by the comment since they sell this, therefore it must have many satisfied customers.

The tabs you pin down are not under any force, they only hold the two pieces together
, the stress is at the ends uniformly.

Yes I've had them fail. Not breakage failure. The pins that are peened loosen and the two halves separate. I never lost a load because I caught it before hand.

Because of that behavior I won't trust it in an application where the joint goes slack and tumbles. Exactly what anchor chain does going into the chain locker. As you say the ends are tensioned. But not when the chain is slack.

I'd have to take extra care every time I haul the anchor in to stop and inspect the repair link. It's too easy to get complacent on that.

I can't check on payout because there isn't enough room between where the chain exists the chain locker and runs over the wildcat.

Yes there are satisfied customers. But to be satisfied the customer needs to know the weakness of the product as well as the strengths and use it appropriately.

I find it interesting that the McMaster catalog page warns it is not to be used for lifting.

Have you had one fail? or someone you know had one fail? I am puzzled by the comment since they sell this, therefore it must have many satisfied customers.

The tabs you pin down are not under any force, they only hold the two pieces together
, the stress is at the ends uniformly.

I would be interested in talking with a few people who work for large rigging companies and see what they have to say. Maybe Sailor of Fortune will chime in with his salvage experience for an even wider experience base.

Many applications of repair gear work great and some do not. ....it would be interesting discussion as I can see where different replacement link designs might be an issue for certain applications.

https://www.seamar.com/products?pSearch=Hammerlock&sc=529

This is what commercial boats use. Called a hammerlock. Stronger than chain of same size. Better than a shackle to connect anchors. If it were me, I’d lash the chain with synthetic 3mm twine. If done right it would be stronger than the chain and probably easy through the windlass.

738DCA39-43D6-48D7-BF1C-B9CF7616BE86.jpg

How about this
Sure looks like it would be as strong as the chain

It is about as strong as proof coil or BBB chain. It is not as strong as G40 or better.

The working load limit on the link you posted is 2750 pounds.
The working load limit on 3/8” G40 chain is 5400 pounds.

Another common anchor chain, BBB, has a working load limit of 2650 pounds so your link is actually a little stronger.

The other thing to be concerned with is the dimensions of the link. BBB and G40 are pretty short. I think that link is going to be longer. I’d be afraid it would jam in the wildcat but it seems it works for some people. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

Back
Top Bottom