Steering on flybridge helm "loose"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clemson101

Vessel Name
Loretta
Vessel Make
Fleming 55
Hello all. I have a 2015 Beneteau Swift Trawler 34 Fly with hydraulic steering. The steering from the flybridge has become "loose" meaning I can turn the wheel 2-3 times before it's responsive and most times it then seems to try to "catch up". Created somewhat of a dangerous situation last time I was steering from the flybridge. Main helm steering in the saloon is working properly as is the autopilot from either helm station. Any suggestions for a steering repair novice to check before I call the professionals?

Thanks.

Have you checked the reservoir. Is it full and is it pressurized. It sounds like in your description that the oil has to drained from the steering pump

I agree with Dennis, check the fluid level in the upper helm or reservoir. Or have an experienced mechanic check it if you don't know how.

Steering fluid is not consumed in use so it's possible that you have a leak if it is low.

What they said is the first thing to check. Your boat most probably has a Sea Star or perhaps UFlex Steering. These are vented systems, not pressurized. The top helm has a vented plug and the bottom helm has a non vented plug. Never take the plug out of the lower helm, all the fluid uphill will flow out. When you have a leak it will affect the upper helm first, and in the way you describe.
Look around for the fill plug at the UPPER Helm and remove it. Fluid should be vey close to the top.

These is a typical Sea Star Helm, there are variations :socool:

Attachments

• sea s helm.jpg
    sea s helm.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 111
Expanding on Keysdisease’s advice above, you can buy a kit at WM and others with a quart of oil, tubing and instructions on how to fill. If the lower helm is still working you usually don’t have to go through the venting process. Just add oil to the upper helm while working the wheel back and forth.

David

One of the commercial boats I ran had a clear plastic reservoir plumbed to the fill plug. Located between the helm and windshield where you could keep an eye on the level. I never saw any evidence of a leak but there must have been one before I came onboard. The reservoir was actually an overflow bottle from a car radiator.

Thanks all. Good info. I'll be on the boat this weekend and will check the upper help for the reservoir.

IMG_4094.jpgIMG_4095.jpgIMG_4118.jpg

The pump is an LS brand which I assume is French. Many of the parts on my Beneteau Swift Trawler are from France. Same process as y’all described though (I also watched a few YouTube videos). After finding the ISO 22 viscosity hydraulic fluid at Faucet’s in Annapolis (West Marine did not have), I filled the reservoir a bit at a time and slowly turned the wheel lock to lock after each addition, I finally saw the reservoir almost full. Started the engine and watched the rudder indicator as I turned the wheel and the steering was very responsive. I did check the lines throughout the boat for leaks and saw none. I’ll check again when I return to the boat next week.

Thanks for the advice and knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom