Step-up transformers 12V to 24V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rwaldrop13

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pau Hana
Vessel Make
Hatteras 54
Good afternoon. I was wondering if anyone has used step-up transformers to change voltage for specific uses. In this case, it's to provide higher amps/voltage to maintain charge levels for iPads used for navigation. My boat was a 24-volt boat and I had to use a step-down transformer to replace a damaged anchor light, but wanted to know if anyone has reversed the process. There's plenty of these devices available - Just search Amazon! But I want to know if anyone has practical experience with them. Prior to boat life as a service manager, we installed one in a golf cart for a customer but I left that job before ever getting any feedback.

Good afternoon. I was wondering if anyone has used step-up transformers to change voltage for specific uses. In this case, it's to provide higher amps/voltage to maintain charge levels for iPads used for navigation. My boat was a 24-volt boat and I had to use a step-down transformer to replace a damaged anchor light, but wanted to know if anyone has reversed the process. There's plenty of these devices available - Just search Amazon! But I want to know if anyone has practical experience with them. Prior to boat life as a service manager, we installed one in a golf cart for a customer but I left that job before ever getting any feedback.
Yes. I have a 12v boat but the new Wesmar stabilizers have a 24v controller. I used a 7a Newmar step-up transformer. Works fine.

Peter

Most iPad are charged at 5 volt DC at 2 amps (10 watts). Why a higher amperage and 24 vdc for your iPads?

Actually your info is out of date- see below. To keep up with battery usage when using as a chartplotter, higher amps are needed. If a 110 outlet is unavailable then a dedicated charging port is the solution.

Depending on the model, iPad comes with a 10W, 12W, 18W, or 20W power adapter. All Apple iPad USB power adapters are designed for use with power sources rated to provide 100V AC to 240V AC at 50Hz to 60Hz. Apple iPad USB power adapters also comply with the IEC/UL 60950-1 and IEC/UL 62368-1 standards for use with power sources rated to provide 115V AC at 400Hz. Find more information about iPad USB power adapter compatibility.

Yeah I don't think thee's a need for a 24V bus. FYI a transformer only changes AC voltage. I think the tech you're referring to should be called a "DC-DC converter".

That said, what you need is a higher output USB charging port, for example:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SQCBC2C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
or even more powerful,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084P83JNW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Either of these will run on 12V and charge your iPad at its max. The first one will put out more power at 24V, but I don't think that's necessary for your application. Only reason I bought the second, higher power one was to charge my MacBook Pro at a higher power level (it can charge at 100W+ max I believe)

Back
Top Bottom