Super Quiet exhaust fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wally

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Summertime
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen Manatee
I am looking for a 12v exhaust fan to exhaust the battery compartment. Since it will run anytime the charger is in operation, sound is of utmost importance. Looking for suggestions as to a quiet fan….my existing bilge blowers sound like jet engines!

If not needed to be explosion proof, I would use a squirrel fan computer fan.

Is the a requirement for a fan? or just vented?

I would think explosion proof would be a must even if diesel ER as batty (at least FLA) give off explosive gas.

Pretty unusual to need to pump hydrogen gas around? Its so light that just giving it a free path up and out is sufficient. My vote is a passive vent.

This question arises from the OP’s other thread on battery venting where others have noted they’ve never seen a fan used to vent batteries and as long as there is a passive vent, hydrogen rises. The OP’s batteries are under the salon seat and may or may not have any existing venting, passive or otherwise. I’d consider replacing the FLAs with AGM.

https://batteryknowhow.com/do-agm-b... of a hydrogen explosion with these batteries.

Yes, AGM batteries must be vented, even though they produce relatively less hydrogen gas as a byproduct. AGM batteries are still at risk of charging too fast and overcharging. Both of those conditions will increase hydrogen production beyond what the glass mats can absorb. So, there’s still a risk of a hydrogen explosion with these batteries.

I have seen explosion proof muffin fans (usually for electrical cabinets in hazardous locations) but don't know their costs...usually a lot more expensive.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2253236484...1291&msclkid=9b857b73c27b11ab0e021f2077867046

Last edited:
Sometimes you can provide positive pressure to a compartment remotely. Mount a fan where the noise cannot be heard. Run large diameter hose into the battery compartment with a natural passive exhaust.

I would put a vent low into the cabinet and a vent high out of the cabinet and you should be good to go. Don’t think I would bother with a fan.

If you drop back a page and look for the question about teak louvers you will see a link from OC Diver (thanks Ted) for MSI, they have a quiet blower. It is a great replacement for the misapplication of noisy bilge blowers but are not rated for gasses or explosion proof.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom