Surveyor in Chicago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMAlsworth

Does anyone have a recommendation for a surveyor in Chicago? Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

I'm posting the response I provided directly to Shane for future reference re: surveyor recommendation in Chicago area.

I've tried a few of my boating resources re surveyor recommendation but striking out so far. I did try a couple online searches that turned up a few hits. I noticed one name that seemed to repeat on different forums, different times and even from sail and power boaters. Some are dated but consistent with recent one (s). I'd feel better with these recommendations than just throwing a dart at a list.

Hope it helps.
Don

Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
I can HIGHLY recommend Rick Lenschow of Certified Marine Surveyors www.cmsurveyors.com

He did the survey on my 2004 Tiara 3100 LE Open last year and couldn't have been more thorough.
He will protect YOU, no doubt in my mind
I can't quote cost but he will gladly give you an estimate via email. Cost is by travel time and footage.
Anyone who buys a larger used boat without a survey is nuts.

This from a sailing forum but supports Rick Lenschow

"Max,
Our broker for our last sailboat recommended Rick Lenschow at Certified Marine Surveyors ((866) 627-7878) (based out of Sycamore, Illinois) and we were happy with him. We used an out-of-state surveyor for our current boat but have given Rick's name to other boat buyers and have received positive feedback on him from them as well. I don't have any financial or other connection with him but suggest that you give him a call and see if you're comfortable with him.
Mike
Tartan 34C - Liberty
Chicago"

And these from other forums...

"Has anybody used this surveyor. He's local around the IL/Wis boarder. Good? Bad?
James Seith, Stateline Marine Surveyors
https://www.statelinemarinesurveyors.com/
In the Chicago area, I'd use Rick. Did a great job for me years ago."
http://www.cmsurveyors.com/

"I talked to Skipperbuds in Sturgeon Bay. Down your way, they recommended
I would go with Rick Lenschow with CMS he is SAMS and AMS certified and is used by most of the insurance companies
His number is 866-627-7878"

Mike Tock, Lakeshore MArine, (SAMS), is in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. 920 627 6123. He conducted a buyer survey for the folks who purchased our 44 Ocean Alexander. Thorough, efficient, knowledgeable, personable, experienced. Not sure if he'd travel to Chicago, but he's who I'd hire. There are some jerks in that line of work...Mike isn't one of them.

I have a friend who is a broker in Chicago dealing mostly in sail, and he recommends Rick Lenschow regularly. No personal experience, but it sounds like he's active and experienced in that market.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom