Swim Platform - vertical supports

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lghawk

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
48ft Trawler
Hi Everyone!

I currently have on the back of my trawler a cage-setup which was used for cray pots. I want to convert this to a swim platform.

At the moment the setup is very sturdy, however it has side supports and a top rail which are tied back into the caprail running around the deck. Therefore the lateral support comes from that toprail.

My intention is to cut this away so that the swim platform is open at the rear and both sides. I would then like to add new structural support underneath secured back into the stern of the boat on a 45 degree angle. I have attached a highlighted photo showing the parts I want to remove, plus a quick sketch of the new supports.

My main question is not about the strength, as I know I can engineer this. My question is about the fixing method of the posts into the stern of the boat. How do I do this? I cannot get to the inside of the stern of the boat, as there is a large fuel tank inside - so this means I cannot bolt through. My next thought was to screw into the timber in the back of the boat using stainless steel coach screws (see below). Heavy levels of sealant used on the plate and also in the screw hole.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Ideas maybe?

Really appreciate any help!

Cheers,

Lyndon.

Attachments

• Coack Screw.jpg
    Coack Screw.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 79
  • New Setup.jpg
    New Setup.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Remove.jpg
    Remove.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 31
Will you leave the platform the same length as it is now? That’s a bit of leverage.

Hey Healhustler,

I am actually thinking of extending slightly further out...maybe. Currently its about 800. Id like about 1200mm if possible...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom