Tagging things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danderer

Guru
Vessel Name
Infinity
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 48
Our new-to-us boat has significantly more systems (and more piping and valves) than our previous boats. 4 AC units, 8-zone hydronic, hydraulics, fresh and salt wash-downs, a number of valves added to ease winterizing, etc.

Lots (to me) of piping and hoses and valves. Some valves are labeled but I'd like to do a more through job and also label sections of hose and piping.

I could do this with masking tape and cardboard tags on strings but I'd like to do something a bit more upscale and durable.

Thoughts on what I might use to achieve this?

I'm in the process of tagging all my seacocks, valves, and major switches with colored name tags from a trophy engraver. Attaching them with JB Weld epoxy.

Last edited:
Our new-to-us boat has significantly more systems (and more piping and valves) than our previous boats. 4 AC units, 8-zone hydronic, hydraulics, fresh and salt wash-downs, a number of valves added to ease winterizing, etc.

Lots (to me) of piping and hoses and valves. Some valves are labeled but I'd like to do a more through job and also label sections of hose and piping.

I could do this with masking tape and cardboard tags on strings but I'd like to do something a bit more upscale and durable.

I have used these in the past for similar situations with good results:

https://www.amazon.com/Amgate-Write-Ethernet-Marking-100pcs/dp/B0153CAU2M

https://www.amazon.com/AMPCOM-Nylon-Ties-Cable-Label/dp/B07DW8BS4J

And another alternative:

https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Skater-Waterproof-Resistant-Identification/dp/B07GFBSZ1Z

Get a Brother P-Touch. For wires and other small things, wrap the little printed label around it and adhere it to itself. It allows you to instantly make an additional label. For instance, find the VHF antenna cable and print out 3 or 4 labels. Then you can attach them along the route back to the radio. For any oily wires or hoses in the engine room, you'll have to clean the surface or use a different marker.

Speaking of a different marker, anybody know what the light blue marking pencil is that is often used at used car part stores, etc.? Whatever it is seems to write on dirty, oily items. I've also seen it used to write dates on critical engine hoses, fuel filters, etc., to keep track of their service life.

Dymo also makes a labelmaker called the RhinoPro 5000 that can print directly onto
heat shrink tubing. It's the bomb for wires and cables as long as you do it prior to
installing them.

I have different approaches depending on the need for waterproofing or durability required of the tag/label.

For dry clean areas I use plastic blank tags which can be bought in bulk and a label printer that prints on cellophane (plastic) tape. These are sold at Office Supply stores and can be supplied with clear tape or white or black tape with contrasting lettering. (These can also be used to label instruments/circuit breakers as needed.) I secure these with cable ties, loosely so that they can be pulled as needed to be read from different angles.

For damp/dirty areas (bilge for example) I actually get labels engraved in plastic tags which last for ever and again secure with cable ties.

Pipes and hoses; sometimes use a permanent marker where it will be legible, and I often indicate direction of flow.

Wire; I usually use the label printer and double the label back on itself to secure it.

~Alan

Thanks all.

I've got a label maker, but there isn't always a good surface to put the labels on.

The cable tags suggested look really good but maybe just a bit too small (both the length of the zip and the size of the writable area).

However, seeing those led me to various options at McMaster-Carr. I think their plastic tags attached via zip ties will do the trick.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom