Teak Cleaners, what do you use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RonR

Guru
Vessel Name
Triton
Vessel Make
48' Golden Egg Harbor
We are now in the process of stripping all of the exterior teak on the boat. About 30% of the old Varnish is flat falling off. Some of the areas need to be cleaned before we can move onto the next step. In the past I have use a two part cleaner called TE-KA. It works very well, but do not get it on paint or fiberglass as it will stain/streak. What are your go to products that will not stain the hull?

Attachments

• Eggvarnish.jpg
    Eggvarnish.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 38
We are now in the process of stripping all of the exterior teak on the boat. About 30% of the old Varnish is flat falling off. Some of the areas need to be cleaned before we can move onto the next step. In the past I have use a two part cleaner called TE-KA. It works very well, but do not get it on paint or fiberglass as it will stain/streak. What are your go to products that will not stain the hull?

sandpaper, 150. 220, then varnish.
If you are finding discoloration of the teak below the varnish, that discoloration must be sanded out. Cleaning, bleaching, staining all risk leaving a colour of their own in the wood which will remain and make that wood different from the wood that is sanded to new.

Last edited:
Pretty much what Koliver said. Sand if you can. I won’t say that I never use a product like teka, but I severely limit it. I’ve bleached black wood back to beautiful with Teka before, but do t use around paint. I’ve never had an issue with fiberglass, but use copious amounts of water when rinsing. If I need to bleach a small area, I’d typically turn to oxalic acid in whatever formulation you like or in crystal. They all work though crystal is cheapest. It’s almost always the magic in most “cleaners and brighteners”. But once you get teak under control I rarely need more than just sandpaper and a scraper, especially for maintaining.

We use products and methods from Teakdecking.com, Teakdecking Systems. It's proven, it works, and our teak continues to look like new. There may be cheaper products that work, but we've never had the desire to experiment. Their blog provides some excellent information and they have great videos on YouTube as well as Facebook and Instagram. We love teak and the key is always maintaining it correctly. People often damage it permanently in cleaning incorrectly. Boatworks Today also has excellent videos on YouTube using Teakdecking's products.

One side note to teak. Myanmar is one of the largest sources of teak and no one can know what the current situation there will lead to.

We use products and methods from Teakdecking.com, Teakdecking Systems. It's proven, it works, and our teak continues to look like new. There may be cheaper products that work, but we've never had the desire to experiment. Their blog provides some excellent information and they have great videos on YouTube as well as Facebook and Instagram. We love teak and the key is always maintaining it correctly. People often damage it permanently in cleaning incorrectly. Boatworks Today also has excellent videos on YouTube using Teakdecking's products.

One side note to teak. Myanmar is one of the largest sources of teak and no one can know what the current situation there will lead to.

Ordered up a gallon to test out. Thank you !

Ordered up a gallon to test out. Thank you !

I think if you follow their methods, you'll be pleased. I'd definitely look at their videos. They manufactured the teak on out boats and we just find them very professional. Last year, they acquired Teak Solutions in Barcelona, Spain as well.

Back
Top Bottom