Tip amounts for dock line handlers and fuel dock attendance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dock line handlers, are for people who cannot handle a boat. Our yacht club marina does not have "dock line handlers." It is assumed that members are competent skippers. Since the majority of the 300+ slips are gunnel to gunnel, boat handling is essential.

The OP is traveling to various marinas and utilizing numerous docks for service and berthing.
Dock line handlers and dockmasters are there to control when and where the boat goes, assist in the dockage, and try to limit potential problems.

Dock attendants in busy season in the Long Island sound area of NY, Ct, and RI can receive much larger tips than the average posted here.
I'm sure, but then it depends on the locations and the boat too. Until recently my father ran a multi-million dollar 65 footer for an owner who would spend the summers around Montauk and eastern LI. I'm sure those tips were much higher than they'd see from our 1996 37 footer. Not sure it makes logical sense - just like the poster who asked why restaurant tips vary according to what's on your plate. Or when a valet parks your car at the Breakers in Florida, I'll bet the Bentley driver tips more than the Honda.

I'm sure, but then it depends on the locations and the boat too. Until recently my father ran a multi-million dollar 65 footer for an owner who would spend the summers around Montauk and eastern LI. I'm sure those tips were much higher than they'd see from our 1996 37 footer. Not sure it makes logical sense - just like the poster who asked why restaurant tips vary according to what's on your plate. Or when a valet parks your car at the Breakers in Florida, I'll bet the Bentley driver tips more than the Honda.

"Until recently my father ran a multi-million dollar 65 footer for an owner who would spend the summers around Montauk and eastern LI. I'm sure those tips were much higher than they'd see from our 1996 37 footer.
Or when a valet parks your car at the Breakers in Florida, I'll bet the Bentley driver tips more than the Honda."
Not generally what has been seen with the tips. Some relationship exists between size of boat and tip but not nearly predictable.
Similar with types and costs of the boats.

I have seen times where the biggest and nicest boat owners tip poorly. Not sure why that is but it happens.

Many marinas I have been to don't need dock line handlers because they are shelters, o current harbors.

Some marinas have a lot of current and not sheltered from afternoon breezes or wind from anywhere.

The majority of boat owners struggle in these marinas even with thrusters so line handling is sometimes insisted upon by the marina.

Not saying all the line handlers are good, especially to earn a tip, some even put the boat in bad situations.

Maybe it’s an east coast/west coast thing. I’ve been boating pnw all my life, never tipped a dock hand. Nobody I boat with does either. Maybe we’re just cheap? Maybe I don’t go to places like that. Not sure. But I can tell you, if someone took a line and then walked away I wouldn’t hunt them down to tip them.

Ditto. I've never tipped any of the dock help and never seen it done, in PNW or SE AK.

Not seen it done in Europe yet, either.

Curious what you think about home commissions, boat commissions, business sale commissions, etc.

My point about meal tips was that the effort and skill required to take my order and deliver my plate is the same regardless of whether I order a low priced or high priced meal in the same restaurant. I expect a high end place has a higher skilled staff than an Applebee's, and I have no problem rewarding talent and experience. For example: A professor at Harvard should get paid more than one at a community college, LeBron James should get paid more than a bench warmer.

I suspect that when it comes to boat and home ( & auto )sales, there are different levels of professionalism. When you first enter the profession you probably sell the low end merchandise until you can move up to the average level stuff, and then again for the big leagues. I assume that if you run a real estate brokerage that sells homes that are $1M and up, you have the pick of real estate agents applying to work there and you can pick the cream of the crop.

As PSN pointed out....higher end restaurants should have better staff....but within that restaurant I could order a $25 meal or a $50 meal. The staff is the same, the effort is the same but the tip would be double ?? It doesn't make sense to me. My solution is to tip on the average meal price rather than what my party ordered, and then add or subtract for service level.

The thing I don't understand about tipping is why a waiter/waitress gets a bigger tip when I order the Porterhouse over the pasta at the same restaurant, or if I drink a Topshelf drink versus a glass of water. The time commitment, effort and attentiveness are the same but one meal is going to cost me $50, and the other $20 (probably more...I haven't been out to eat in quite a while). The "percentage system" has always just defied logic for me.

I absolutely HATE tipping in America. What you say is absolutely true - and a horrible system of inequity in pay both from the customer and to the server. I completely LOVED my time in Australia where there is no tipping - just fair pay and fair wages for all. I'd move there in a heartbeat if we didn't have grandkids down the street.

I absolutely HATE tipping in America. What you say is absolutely true - and a horrible system of inequity in pay both from the customer and to the server. I completely LOVED my time in Australia where there is no tipping - just fair pay and fair wages for all. I'd move there in a heartbeat if we didn't have grandkids down the street.
I worked for a UK based global O&G company with significant interests in the US. The UK guys would always complain about poor service in the US. Took about 30-seconds of conversation to figure out they were lousy tippers, and their British accent was an immediate tell. They'd have the same lament about equity, tip should be something extra vs expected, blah-blah-blah.

As the saying goes, "When in Rome...." the OP is just trying to figure out what's common and customary. It's a good question. Reading the responses here, my take is you'll know when to tip and when not to. If you do, increments of $5 bills seem to be the right denomination. Given current price of diesel, guessing $500 is a minimum most folks on TF take on. What's another $5 for someone who made that a bit easier?

Peter

I worked for a UK based global O&G company with significant interests in the US. The UK guys would always complain about poor service in the US. Took about 30-seconds of conversation to figure out they were lousy tippers, and their British accent was an immediate tell. They'd have the same lament about equity, tip should be something extra vs expected, blah-blah-blah.

As the saying goes, "When in Rome...." the OP is just trying to figure out what's common and customary. It's a good question. Reading the responses here, my take is you'll know when to tip and when not to. If you do, increments of $5 bills seem to be the right denomination. Given current price of diesel, guessing $500 is a minimum most folks on TF take on. What's another $5 for someone who made that a bit easier?

Peter

Agree with you whole heartedly. What's another fiver for someone who helped out.

I see that as totally different from the food service scenario. And not even related to the proliferation of tip jars on counters of convenience stores.

I'm one of your northern neighbors and one of our favourite jokes is...
Whats the difference between a Canadian and a canoe?
"A canoe tips"

There is tipping in Australia, mainly restaurants and bars, but nothing like in USA. Waitstaff here are properly paid, they don`t have to "dance for tips", but often get tips anyway, around 10-15%.
Tips in marinas are less likely. If the marina is part of a Club often you`re not supposed to tip, it`s often an end of year contribution to a tip fund shared between staff. Again, staff are properly paid.

The help I get at my marina is from the neighbors who I in turn help with docking etc.

I am a PNW boater - the only tips I have seen handed out (and the only tips I have given out) were at Roche Harbor for the aptly-named “Phecal Phreak” boat that circulates throughout to provide in-slip pumpouts.

Other than that, you do your own pump-outs, pump your own fuel, and dock hands are few and far between. I get the idea that it’s illegal for someone else to pump fuel for you in WA, BC, and AK.

My point about meal tips was that the effort and skill required to take my order and deliver my plate is the same regardless of whether I order a low priced or high priced meal in the same restaurant. I expect a high end place has a higher skilled staff than an Applebee's, and I have no problem rewarding talent and experience. For example: A professor at Harvard should get paid more than one at a community college, LeBron James should get paid more than a bench warmer.

I suspect that when it comes to boat and home ( & auto )sales, there are different levels of professionalism. When you first enter the profession you probably sell the low end merchandise until you can move up to the average level stuff, and then again for the big leagues. I assume that if you run a real estate brokerage that sells homes that are $1M and up, you have the pick of real estate agents applying to work there and you can pick the cream of the crop.

As PSN pointed out....higher end restaurants should have better staff....but within that restaurant I could order a $25 meal or a $50 meal. The staff is the same, the effort is the same but the tip would be double ?? It doesn't make sense to me. My solution is to tip on the average meal price rather than what my party ordered, and then add or subtract for service level.

I guess your experience with commissioned sales folks is different from ours.

I am a PNW boater - the only tips I have seen handed out (and the only tips I have given out) were at Roche Harbor for the aptly-named “Phecal Phreak” boat that circulates throughout to provide in-slip pumpouts.

Other than that, you do your own pump-outs, pump your own fuel, and dock hands are few and far between. I get the idea that it’s illegal for someone else to pump fuel for you in WA, BC, and AK.

A pump out boat is a whole nother thing. We have a free pump out service in south sound too, we tip them well. They come to you where ever you are, as long as you’re within the scheduled service area.

Maybe it’s an east coast/west coast thing. I’ve been boating pnw all my life, never tipped a dock hand. Nobody I boat with does either. Maybe we’re just cheap? Maybe I don’t go to places like that. Not sure. But I can tell you, if someone took a line and then walked away I wouldn’t hunt them down to tip them.

I was just thinking the same thing. It never crossed my mind to tip a fuel attendant. An instructor, yes, but someone working at a dock? No. Maybe a west coast thing; or where we roll.

Prryc

While here in the PNW (North American PNW for our Canadian friends) there are very few places where one would tip, one of the exceptions, for us anyway, are the wonderful college kids helping Kevin at the Prince Rupert Rowing & Yacht Club. We usually spend 1 or 2 nights when headed South to clear CA Customs.

$5,s and $10’s depending on what is done. Most of the dock hands is our areas are teens and college folks so they can use the dough. I just put $300 bucks in fuel in the boat I think I can give the attendant who helped me tie up and chatted w me a few bucks. Besides I usually use the same few fuel docks so I get to know the staff

I'm one of your northern neighbors and one of our favourite jokes is...
Whats the difference between a Canadian and a canoe?
"A canoe tips"
Every year, the restaurants in San Diego do a survey of the best and worst tippers, and every years Canadians are deemed the worst tippers.

Oops, the best tippers hands down are the Zonas from the state next door.

Agree with Bmarler, boated since 1958 West coast and NEVER tipped anyone on the dock. Boaters just helped other boaters. Have towed people in and been towed in and even when offered a tip we all refuse, just "pay it fwd". At some time or other we all need some help. 5 years in Ft Ladeda and Bahamas with a 70fter and never tipped. Never saw anyone tipping. If someone does something spectacular, sure, offer a tip. But on a daily basis, I don't even think about it. PS, not a cheapskate, tip good where it is expected.

Agree with Bmarler, boated since 1958 West coast and NEVER tipped anyone on the dock. Boaters just helped other boaters. Have towed people in and been towed in and even when offered a tip we all refuse, just "pay it fwd". At some time or other we all need some help. 5 years in Ft Ladeda and Bahamas with a 70fter and never tipped. Never saw anyone tipping. If someone does something spectacular, sure, offer a tip. But on a daily basis, I don't even think about it. PS, not a cheapskate, tip good where it is expected.

Guess you haven't been in Ft Lauderdale in the last 20 years or so.

So my take from this thread is that PNW boaters don't typically tip, because there are seldom line handlers there to handle lines, because boaters in the PNW know how handle their vessels when docking . . . :confused:

While boaters on the East Coast don't know how to dock, frequently require line handlers to manhandle their boats in to the dock because even with multiple thrusters, twin engines, 15 satellite dishes, 5 GPS, and multiple steering stations, they can't seem to lay her alongside the moorings . . . . is that about it?:dance:

All kidding aside (and yes, the above was tongue in cheek) the only time we've tipped here in the PNW, and up to Alaska, was the first time we fueled our aft tanks to the top . . . and they were 200 gallons smaller, each, than we had been led to expect . . . . which MAY have resulted in an un-permitted discharge of a small quantity of diesel fuel . . . which the fuel attendant MAY have helped us to clean up . . . provided there was actually a spill that is . . .:whistling:

Anyway, after settling up with the office on the fuel bill, I found the fuel dock guy, shook his hand, and a $50.00 bill may have changed hands. He was appreciative.

As stated in a previous post, in the PNW, the only time anyone has ever helped us tie up, it was fellow boaters on the dock, none of which expected a tip. I often offer to help people with lines, but I say to them, tell me exactly what you want me to do!

I've had people who, while well intentioned, felt that any dock line they handle has to immediately be cleated off TIGHT to the closest available cleat . . . regardless of what the boat is doing . . . :facepalm:

... For example: A professor at Harvard should get paid more than one at a community college, ...

Why is that? Just because he works at Harvard? For all you know the Harvard professor could be coasting because now he has tenure. The CC professor could be busting his a$$ to make sure his students actually learn something useful. The CC professor could be a "Stand and Deliver" kind of guy.

Yeah, the Harvard prof is probably making more money, but does that mean he is making an impact on his students commensurate with his salary?

Guess you haven't been in Ft Lauderdale in the last 20 years or so.

True, sold boat in 2005. But I don't tip guys who fill car with gas, oh wait..... that hasn't happened since the 1970s :dance: Nope! Not gonna do it. Just like a guy who hands me a pizza across the counter and wants a 15% tip? Not happening on my watch :banghead:

True, sold boat in 2005. But I don't tip guys who fill car with gas, oh wait..... that hasn't happened since the 1970s :dance: Nope! Not gonna do it. Just like a guy who hands me a pizza across the counter and wants a 15% tip? Not happening on my watch :banghead:

Not the same as a dock hand that pumps 400 gallons of fuel or 80 gallons of your sewage. Or helps you tie up when it is blowing 35 to 40…

Not the same as a dock hand that pumps 400 gallons of fuel or 80 gallons of your sewage. Or helps you tie up when it is blowing 35 to 40…

That's his job and it's the employers responsibility to pay them a proper wage from the profits from the product you have purchased.

Yep
And I absolutely HATE it when "Tipsters" who travel don't learn the culture or customs in other lands and tip extravagantly and now in some places it expected.

Part of the reason we'd rarely go to tourist areas.
You never experience it away from them, quite the opposite.
If I left small money on the table more often than not somone would come after us to give it back

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom