Tip amounts for dock line handlers and fuel dock attendance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had never even thought of tipping when mooring or fueling. I didn't read this thread for awhile because I thought that all the responses would be "Tipping? That's crazy!" Turns out that there are places (or people) where it is done. Makes me wonder if they also tip their hygenist at the dentist, the snow plow operator, the captain on a plane flight, etc. The possibilities are endless. I also wonder how long it takes for the recipient to overcome the insult. Not long, I guess. And just think of the feeling of superiority when the captain, standing at the cockpit cabin door as the passengers leave the jet, actually accepts your $20 bill. Or would it be $100? Seems that some tipping is definately for the benefit of the tipper.

I had never even thought of tipping when mooring or fueling. I didn't read this thread for awhile because I thought that all the responses would be "Tipping? That's crazy!" Turns out that there are places (or people) where it is done. Makes me wonder if they also tip their hygenist at the dentist, the snow plow operator, the captain on a plane flight, etc. The possibilities are endless. I also wonder how long it takes for the recipient to overcome the insult. Not long, I guess. And just think of the feeling of superiority when the captain, standing at the cockpit cabin door as the passengers leave the jet, actually accepts your $20 bill. Or would it be $100? Seems that some tipping is definately for the benefit of the tipper.

I can't understand the confusion.

For those that live in the USA, and have traveled beyond their front door.....

I see tipping in 2 lights.

One are the jobs that depend on tips to make up the other part of their paycheck. The common ones are food service people.

The others are just ordinary people doing their jobs. Do they expect or need tips? Not sure "needing" money can ever be determined... but I don't look at it as tipping as much as giving a gift of cash for someone who pleased me beyond the necessary. Whether that be a doctor, lawyer, auto mechanic, plumber, or dock hand...and many more. Professionals really are tricky but there it is more of a relationship. Airline pilots for a flight....not likely...a doctor you have known a long time and gives great service above and beyond....maybe a bottle of good stuff or a box of his/her favorite golfballs.....

I call it a tip because it relates but seems that tip is inappropriate because too many see it as "exactly" the same...giving money to someone who shouldn't need it....

As if everyone here wouldn't like a little extra money. If it seems insulting, just refuse it and be adamant about it. But at least both parties are then satisfied that they tried to be nice and you being proud of your work and not caring about money are happy to see the customer happy.

Life is too easy to make it this much more complicated over a subject that to me is pretty simple.

Who would think that this thread would be so interesting? Obviously, there's no right or wrong answer. But it is an interesting view into the different social norms that we all are working from. The options are endless. You just gotta do what feels right for you and not worry about it. We were cruisers in Mexico in the 70s on a big night out with 3-4 other boats. We gave what was a good tip for our budgets and the waiter threw it back in our faces! What can you say. Aloha from Hawaii

The key is called a deck key. Or if you drop it overboard without a float a damnit key.

I'm from NY 10 years moved to FL,
I was am still am surprised how much less people tip here in Fl or for that matter in the south in general.
I have seen people leave $1 for dinner :confused:

If that person did that in NY I think the wait staff would return it!

I tip fuel and help if docking etc., $5-$10

I get the rationale for generously tipping wait staff is they are either not paid by the restaurant/bar, or paid poorly. If they didn`t get the bulk of their income from tips prices would have to be raised commensurately to cover proper wages.
So what about dock workers? Are they chronically underpaid too and forced to "dance for tips" to survive financially?
Or is it the USA custom you tip everyone? And the potential retribution for not tipping is abuse or no/poor/surly service next time.
I`ve always tipped in USA and Canada, more generously than here. Staff seemed happy, maybe surprised at Aussies tipping."When in Rome" is my motto.
But,fortunately, so far,here, I`ve not seen fuel pump attendants looking for tips.

I get the rationale for generously tipping wait staff is they are either not paid by the restaurant/bar, or paid poorly. If they didn`t get the bulk of their income from tips prices would have to be raised commensurately to cover proper wages.
So what about dock workers? Are they chronically underpaid too and forced to "dance for tips" to survive financially?
Or is it the USA custom you tip everyone? And the potential retribution for not tipping is abuse or no/poor/surly service next time.
I`ve always tipped in USA and Canada, more generously than here. Staff seemed happy, maybe surprised at Aussies tipping."When in Rome" is my motto.
But,fortunately, so far,here, I`ve not seen fuel pump attendants looking for tips.

Its really hard to find logic or consistency in it, even for those of us that grew up in the US. As you see in this thread, there are lots of opinions and no consistent rules. We all just do the best we can and sounds like you go with the flow when in Rome.

tip

I'm on a fixed budget but I even tip the person at the Mcdonalds window a dollar if they are nice. I tip the dock hand 10 to 20$ just for a $20 pump out. Has nothing to do with the amount of the bill for fuel etc. If you can afford to have a boat I think you can be a little more generous. People wonder why its hard to get help, well maybe this is part of the reason. My daughter is a server so we know first hand. Oh by the way cash is king don't put the tip on your credit card if possible, they have to wait several days to get it.

Like many I find it easiest to have a stack of $5 bills. I give one to anyone who helps. If there's only one guy and he does really well I give him his $5 and the $5 that would have gone to his helper if there was one.

But I've found that more imporant than the $5 is that I get off the boat, introduce myself, ask their name and thank them for the help. Usually chat a couple of minutes. It obviously makes their job more enjoyable.

Great discussion. I would like to hear feedback from folks on the great lakes. How do you handle tipping at your home port? If it is a windy heavy day, I radio in for help and tip. Also the person who does the pump-out gets looked after. Our big treat is donuts!
We Canadians are lucky we have toonies and loonies which feel heavy. :thumb:

Great discussion. I would like to hear feedback from folks on the great lakes. How do you handle tipping at your home port? If it is a windy heavy day, I radio in for help and tip. Also the person who does the pump-out gets looked after. Our big treat is donuts!
We Canadians are lucky we have toonies and loonies which feel heavy. :thumb:

Our home port doesn't have dockhands available, so if we have any help coming into our slip, it's because a neighbor happened to be there and saw us coming in time to assist. We do generally tip the fuel dock employees though.

Good discussion. I usually keep 1s, 5s, and 10's in a ziplock bag onboard. A friend's son works at a marina here and makes a LOT of money due to tips in the summer. Much more than his peers make at other part-time jobs, so it's not like they rely on it like waiters do. They have to at least be paid minimum wage. Still I'm happy to tip them and also gas docks and especially pumpout boats. Minimum is usually $5 pp. Many are college kids working for the summer so a good cause.

So here's my mini-rant on tipping in general. Where does "it's their job" end and tipping begin. We all know to tip waiters and bartenders but what about mailmen, garbagemen, plumbers, painters, landscapers, etc, etc. Personally, if I hire someone and they do a great job, I'll round up and include a tip. Here's a pet peeve of mine. You wouldn't think of not tipping a bartender who spends 30 seconds pouring draft beer into a glass. Somehow, that's worth a buck or 2 on top of the very expensive price. Why is that expected/accepted, but very few people tip the housekeeping service at a hotel? I try to leave some cash when I can, but don't often carry any/much. I would be fine if the hotel bill had a line for adding a gratuity like a restaurant does. Compared to the beer bartender, here is someone that might spend an hour or more cleaning up after you and if they are lucky they may get a couple extra bucks. It could be a $600 bill for a few nights and they usually get zero. I travel a lot for business so maybe I'm extra sensitive to this, but even our corporate policy only allows a couple dollars per day for gratutity. These are some of the hardest working and overlooked workers who really are performing a service and are deserving and in need of tips more so than the smug bartender pouring your $10 beer.

Carry on....

I guess I am lucky.

I feel completely comfortable with my tipping strategy. Probably because I DO think about it carefully.

When I used to save peoples lives regularly and couldn't accept tips, I was more confused. Then as an assistance tower, I got tipped when it was ridiculous for people to do so. A 5 minute job where I was already making a lot per hour based on multiple charges/billing/etc. That helped me see the light.

For some tipping there are norms that you can easily research. Such as housekeepers in hotels/motels. $1-$5..... but if it were 40+ years ago and a bunch of my flight school buddies and I trashed a room from an all night party... not sure even $5 would be appropriate. Now when I leave a room, hardly anyone would knw someone was there. So if the place looked/smelled and "felt" like it had tender loving care.... a bit more than the "recommended"...or a bit less than recommended it it wasn't "perfect".

I guess my advice is don't over think it, just "think it".

PS, that's kind of my point. We stay in a hotel for a few nights, spending a few hundred dollars and a housekeeper spends time every day cleaning up after us and at the end, remakes the whole room, and we think that $1-$5 is appropriate. Same as the bartender pouring a few drafts for a minute or 2. I don't over-think it, but many don't think about it at all.

Jeff, if you can afford a boat then why only $1 for the min wage McDonald person if they are nice. And what is it you know first hand since your daughter is a server.

The other day we went out for a sit down lunch. What I noticed is staff turnover, the same food double what it was 5 years ago, yet now the card machine wants a minimum of 18%, with 20 & 22 added in to make you look cheap. Used to be choose % or $ and press the number keys.

Last edited:
In port, whenever we are within walking distance of a bank:
$200 for a stack of $5 bills and 2 rolls of quarters!

Obviously, on occasion, two $5 bills from the stack is in order, AND
(A dock master who has gone over and above for special favors fits into a very special category.)

The stack of $5 is kept very handy ... right next to "boater cards" and sterile wipes for after the honey pump sessions.

Jeff, if you can afford a boat then why only $1 for the min wage McDonald person if they are nice. And what is it you know first hand since your daughter is a server.

The other day we went out for a sit down lunch. What I noticed is staff turnover, the same food double what it was 5 years ago, yet now the card machine wants a minimum of 18%, with 20 & 22 added in to make you look cheap. Used to be choose % or $ and press the number keys.

Steve Guru , Thanks for beating me up. We know first hand what types of tips are left in Michigan at diners for the last 15 years. I'll leave more than a dollar from now on. Thanks for you tip.

Un-related but mentioned - restaurant servers and bartenders.
In Florida, both of the above are not entitled to minimum wage and currently get 'paid' $7.95/hr. Whether they like it or not, tips are relied upon to get them to a decent wage.
I'll normally tip them 20% with a normal $10 to dockhands and $20 to the fuel attendants. To me, this is just how it is.

In Florida, both of the above are not entitled to minimum wage and currently get 'paid' $7.95/hr. Whether they like it or not, tips are relied upon to get them to a decent wage.
I'll normally tip them 20% with a normal $10 to dockhands and $20 to the fuel attendants. To me, this is just how it is.

I think that's pretty common. The alternative is high prices on the menus with little to no tipping. I'm guessing most workers prefer the former.

I onced paid for a meal with a card and zero tip because I intended to leave a cash tip which I thought was preferred. I had a very irate waiter confront me and demanded to know why there was no tip. I don't remember exactly how it eneded, I think I left cash regardless, but I thought this was out of line. I think if he had asked politely if there was something about his service that was bad, it would have been better than being confrontational. If really did intend to leave zero tip, this would not have changed my mind!

Good discussion. I usually keep 1s, 5s, and 10's in a ziplock bag onboard. A friend's son works at a marina here and makes a LOT of money due to tips in the summer. Much more than his peers make at other part-time jobs, so it's not like they rely on it like waiters do. They have to at least be paid minimum wage. Still I'm happy to tip them and also gas docks and especially pumpout boats. Minimum is usually $5 pp. Many are college kids working for the summer so a good cause.

So here's my mini-rant on tipping in general. Where does "it's their job" end and tipping begin. We all know to tip waiters and bartenders but what about mailmen, garbagemen, plumbers, painters, landscapers, etc, etc. Personally, if I hire someone and they do a great job, I'll round up and include a tip. Here's a pet peeve of mine. You wouldn't think of not tipping a bartender who spends 30 seconds pouring draft beer into a glass. Somehow, that's worth a buck or 2 on top of the very expensive price. Why is that expected/accepted, but very few people tip the housekeeping service at a hotel? I try to leave some cash when I can, but don't often carry any/much. I would be fine if the hotel bill had a line for adding a gratuity like a restaurant does. Compared to the beer bartender, here is someone that might spend an hour or more cleaning up after you and if they are lucky they may get a couple extra bucks. It could be a $600 bill for a few nights and they usually get zero. I travel a lot for business so maybe I'm extra sensitive to this, but even our corporate policy only allows a couple dollars per day for gratutity. These are some of the hardest working and overlooked workers who really are performing a service and are deserving and in need of tips more so than the smug bartender pouring your $10 beer.

Carry on....

And there's the rub on why tipping is such a heinous institution. It should be banned as a business model.

End tipping altogether and employers - and customers - will thus participate in a system that is equitable to all. e.g. - servers who are not cute females will make as much as those who are born attractive. e.g. - servers will be paid for their time and effort, not the cost of the plate (it takes the same effort to bring a hamburger as it does to bring a filet mignon). etc...etc...

And there's the rub on why tipping is such a heinous institution. It should be banned as a business model.

End tipping altogether and employers - and customers - will thus participate in a system that is equitable to all.

I've worked and traveled in countries where tipping was not customary and servers (presumably) received a base wage. Compared to US where they have to 'sing for their supper,' service sucked.

Peter

Last edited:
I onced paid for a meal with a card and zero tip because I intended to leave a cash tip which I thought was preferred. I had a very irate waiter confront me and demanded to know why there was no tip. I don't remember exactly how it eneded, I think I left cash regardless, but I thought this was out of line. I think if he had asked politely if there was something about his service that was bad, it would have been better than being confrontational. If really did intend to leave zero tip, this would not have changed my mind!

Many people I know who pay by card and tip with cash specifically write "cash" on the tip line to make sure the server knows to look for a cash tip on the table.

Many people I know who pay by card and tip with cash specifically write "cash" on the tip line to make sure the server knows to look for a cash tip on the table.

I agree and do the same. I think that was one time when I failed to write cash. But it does show how waiters feel "entitled" to a tip rather than earning it. I don't know that tipping plays much into motivating workers these days. Poor service will likely still earn them 18% and extraordinary service maybe 25%. I don't think I've ever left zero tip regardless of how horrendous the service was.

I think that's pretty common. The alternative is high prices on the menus with little to no tipping. I'm guessing most workers prefer the former.

https://upserve.com/restaurant-insi...ethod. Labor laws and restaurant minimum wage

"Over 68% of restaurant staff said they would not take an increase in hourly wage if tipping were removed. This isn’t surprising, as a past Upserve study indicated that 97% of servers preferred tipping as their payment method."

Pretty much my experience too unless you ask a server who works in a bad place for tips.

https://upserve.com/restaurant-insi...ethod. Labor laws and restaurant minimum wage

"Over 68% of restaurant staff said they would not take an increase in hourly wage if tipping were removed. This isn’t surprising, as a past Upserve study indicated that 97% of servers preferred tipping as their payment method."

Pretty much my experience too unless you ask a server who works in a bad place for tips.

Not surprising if you do some simple math. A waiter serving 3 tables for an hour may get $20 per table plus the small hourly pay. Could be much more or less than that depending on the situation. Of course they don't want to give up ~70/hr for a $20 hourly rate. A bartender can pour a lot of beer in an hour and get a dollar or 2 per beer. As a society, we want to be generous, but is this fair? So many people work in jobs that provide essential services and do not rely on tips and make much less. Not to mention the fact that many cash tips can go unreported and tax-free.

I've worked and traveled in countries where tipping was not customary and servers (presumably) received a base wage. Compared to US where they have to 'sing for their supper,' service sucked.

Peter

Dance monkey, dance.

Not surprising if you do some simple math. A waiter serving 3 tables for an hour may get $20 per table plus the small hourly pay. Could be much more or less than that depending on the situation. Of course they don't want to give up ~70/hr for a $20 hourly rate. A bartender can pour a lot of beer in an hour and get a dollar or 2 per beer. As a society, we want to be generous, but is this fair? So many people work in jobs that provide essential services and do not rely on tips and make much less. Not to mention the fact that many cash tips can go unreported and tax-free.

It's a free country, people can work in whatever industry they like.

Before I begrudge food industry people, look at sales people who rake in huge sums for sometimes very little effort.

I was married to one who was a good real estate agent. Other than that and could entertain with the best, she was pretty scary in terms of talent. She made a ton of money and we flipped some pretty sweet deals back in the 2003-2009 years.

Yep.... look at the pay for a lot of professions/jobs/military service that pay a pittance for the risk.... life's not fair....it is what you make of it.

I learned to do what makes me happy and enough money to pay the bills...I could care less about everyone else and their choices. I was a mediocre tipper till I worked as an assistance tower and learned the real gift of tipping...especially being on the good end. :D

Last edited:
It's not exactly true that people can work in whatever job they want even though I'm a strong believer in free market capitalism. But this thread is not about people being paid for their efforts, it's about tipping. If it was about pay for effort, the guy climbing down a manhole in the cold rain or roofing your house in 100+ degree heat, would make a lot more than a CEO sitting in an office.

Back
Top Bottom