Tipping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fixin to

Vessel Name
Andare
Vessel Make
Sabre 38 Hardtop Express
Is it proper to tip a boatyard employee for a good job? We are getting varnished because I refuse to do it as did the admiral. The Sabre 38 has a half acre of brightwork, and the employee is doing a great job.

If they did a very good job, saving you time and effort -- over tip. The employee will be Johnny on the spot next time you need work needed.

Wifey B: Always proper to tip unless a firm policy and sign saying prohibited. Haven't yet seen anyone offended by receiving a tip. Even those who refuse to accept one still appreciate the offer. :)

About once a month I took a complete Mexican lunch to the shop to feed all the guys and the one gal. It cost me about $20 but it definitely kept me on their good side and if/when I needed something I was always first in line, no waiting for other boats to get finished.

I often tip workers who are not accustomed to receiving tips. I usually couch it in softer terms such as "Let me buy you lunch" or "Have a beer on me after work." The response is usually "I can't take this" or something similar, to which I tell the story of my Uncle Frankie. I visited him when I was on a business trip. Now, Uncle Frankie was a charming guy with game....and a gambling habit so couldn't really afford the $50 he palmed me, so I tried to give it back. He explained: "Peter, there are only two reasons people give you money. They want you to have it, or they're stupid......Please don't call me stupid."

While I would do it for purely altruistic reasons, tipping is good business. I always get a return phone call when needed.

Peter

It is not improper to tip a boatyard employee if that's what you want to do.

Tipping along the East Coast of the USA boating world is firmly dug in as the norm from delivery captains to assistance towers to yard workers to dock hands/fuel attendants and especially at the pumpout.

Managers, supervisors....not so much unless a hands on type.... I have done both, per job and pizza lunches after a longer stay or seasonal/annual slip stay.

We were at a yard where someone was having a bit of work done involving a number of different workers. He bought the entire staff pizzas and sodas for lunch. I thought that was pretty nice. The yard office coordinated the delivery with the favored local pizza place. I generously tip the guy who waxes our boat. He treats it like his own and is very conscientious.

Absolutely.... IF it's warranted.

Tipping is To Insure Promptness .... and quality above average service.

I don't tip for substandard service, as there's no reason to reward poor behavior. However, there's an arguement insist on the best, and let them know, and reward accordingly.

How much would one tip if doing cash instead of other appreciation such as a meal or beers?

For example, for a training captain's time beyond their hourly or daily rate?

How much would one tip if doing cash instead of other appreciation such as a meal or beers?

For example, for a training captain's time beyond their hourly or daily rate?

At least 10% so if I used a captain for three days at $400 per day, I'd tip at least $100 and if exceptionally good might do $150 or $200.

Tipping along the East Coast of the USA boating world is firmly dug in as the norm from delivery captains to assistance towers to yard workers to dock hands/fuel attendants and especially at the pumpout.

Managers, supervisors....not so much unless a hands on type.... I have done both, per job and pizza lunches after a longer stay or seasonal/annual slip stay.

We once tipped the owner of an HVAC company we give a lot of business, but he came to our home on a Saturday night. We gave him money in an envelope and told him it was to make up to his wife for him being at our place and so get a baby sitter and take her out for a nice dinner one night. We got a thank you note from her. We do a lot of business with his company and we don't normally tip but most is routine, contracted, during the day. We get incredible service and he does personally show up on some of the jobs. I'm sure it's mostly when the only way they can meet their commitment to have someone onsite within 2 hours from our call. Still, our home was different than the normal course of business and it required replacing a compressor.

At least 10% so if I used a captain for three days at $400 per day, I'd tip at least $100 and if exceptionally good might do $150 or $200.
I can tell you from experience that tipping delivery captains on West Coast was not common. I was full time more or less dedicated for about 4 years moving nice boats up and down the coast. I had a lot of 'atta-boy' compliments, but tips were rare as hens teeth. I remember one - an owner of Sunseeker Manhattan from Florida with a jet ski on his swim platform instead of a dinghy. He accompanied me as crew. A young dot-com millionaire common for the day, he was perhaps the most annoying client I had. We spent about a week getting from Seattle to Redwood City. He gave me a rare tip - $500.

Peter

I'm a fan of tipping when you get good service from an individual. I did it at our last yard to the guys who did the launch and retrieve. I think we got very good service from them and I was able to get away with some things I probably shouldn't have ;^) In the end I actually gave a nice tip to the yard manager who helped load out the boat on the way out and also tipped the driver of the truck that brought the boat south a couple hundred bucks. We got great service from all and not a scratch on the boat, I was happy to pay it.

If they do an average job the shop pays them.

If they go above and beyond what I expected then I tip.

Tipping has become so common place that people start to expect it for doing nothing extra!

I can tell you from experience that tipping delivery captains on West Coast was not common. I was full time more or less dedicated for about 4 years moving nice boats up and down the coast. I had a lot of 'atta-boy' compliments, but tips were rare as hens teeth. I remember one - an owner of Sunseeker Manhattan from Florida with a jet ski on his swim platform instead of a dinghy. He accompanied me as crew. A young dot-com millionaire common for the day, he was perhaps the most annoying client I had. We spent about a week getting from Seattle to Redwood City. He gave me a rare tip - $500.

Peter

In South Florida and up the coast from here, tips are the norm. Captains do learn the non tippers and tend to charge them more. I think the dealers here in South Florida also do a better job of informing customers that tips are normal.

I will tip the person that pumps out my holding tank. I may tip the person that assists at a fuel dock or marina (but frankly dock assistants are exceedingly rare in the Salish Sea).

I wouldn't tip the travel lift operator that is hauling out and blocking my boat. I wouldn't tip the tradesmen at the yard that are doing the work. I wouldn't tip the mechanic that is coming to service the engine. It just seems as if those types of tips just aren't done in my area.

If other Salish Sea boaters think I'm wrong, let me know.

I recently had my boat hauled for a bottom job and hull buffing. One guy ran the lift and did the powerwashing; another guy sanded the bottom. I think they both worked on the buffing and bottom painting. I assume they don't get paid a lot, so I tipped them $100 cash each. The yard owner was appreciative (no, I didn't tip him, I figured the $4k he got was sufficient). I've done that job myself so I know how horribly hard it is, and I did it up north, not here in the NC heat.

Pollo asado

I often tip workers who are not accustomed to receiving tips. I usually couch it in softer terms such as "Let me buy you lunch" or "Have a beer on me after work." The response is usually "I can't take this" or something similar, to which I tell the story of my Uncle Frankie. I visited him when I was on a business trip. Now, Uncle Frankie was a charming guy with game....and a gambling habit so couldn't really afford the $50 he palmed me, so I tried to give it back. He explained: "Peter, there are only two reasons people give you money. They want you to have it, or they're stupid......Please don't call me stupid."

While I would do it for purely altruistic reasons, tipping is good business. I always get a return phone call when needed.

Peter

A pollo entero from the local rotisserie is golden for your Mexican re-fitters. Simply offer it before they knock off for the day and explain it is for the family. They will be all smiles and it is not the least bit awkward...

I would tip. Some craftsman go the extra mile. Karma!

I have a regular crew at a yard we patronize, I tip, bring in food and cold drinks, and handout Christmas cards with cash. We are graciously thanked each time, get priority attention and outstanding service for whatever we need.

Wifey B: Have you ever angered or upset anyone by tipping them? :nonono:

Ever worsened someone's day or life by tipping them? :nonono:

Ever personally felt bad or gone hungry because you tipped someone? :nonono:

I once was very dependent on tips but I also tipped when I was 16 and on my own if appropriate. I remember times I decided a sit down meal vs. fast food and I always factored the tip into the decision. At my very poorest, I wasn't going to fail to tip.

Today I can afford to tip as can any boat owner. I get great pleasure out of hoping I just make someone's day a little better both through my words and behavior and through my financial recognition. I can't help it, but I get great pleasure out of tipping. :dance: I would love to see us make certain professions less tip dependent, but I'd also like even then for us to continue some degree of tipping. :)

Oh, (and I can already feel the hate coming for not abiding by the customs elsewhere) but I do tip around the world. Only rarely is it rejected. :hide:

In addition to the tip, be generous with your compliments. Take an interest in his work.

I recently had a mech out to service my aftercoolers. I knew the port engine was going to be really tough ( separate thread ) and I really did not want to do this myself. The guy said the port AC could not be removed w/o ripping half my galley apart. I disagreed and said it would have to be pulled from below. This seasoned mech refused to even try. Had a second guy out, from same company, and I explained how I thought the job should be done. He agreed it could be done and with just a little help from me accomplished the job. It was really tough! You can bet I tipped the second guy.

I think I am in the minority on this subject, but I disagree in general about tipping for several reasons:

Firstly, in respect to yardwork, I am already paying $80-100/hour for this work and have every reason to expect quality work in exchange for the price paid;

secondly, are we paying for the workman to do better quality workmanship on my boat than on my neighbors' boats who aren't tipping?;

thirdly, am I tipping to jump to the head of the line ahead of other paying customers? Is this fair?;

Lastly, by paying tips in an industry (unlike restaurants) in which tips are not customarily paid, are we not simply setting a new higher standard for the cost of work that in most cases already contains payment for time spent by yardworkers walking back and forth to get materials and for coffee breaks, etc.?

Sorry to sound like a grumpy old man, but we already pay handsomly for work that in many cases is of less than stellar quality. So for those of you who endorse tipping, are you saying that it is now necessary to tip to obtain the quality and timeliness of work that we should have reasonably expected to receive in the first place?

I think I am in the minority on this subject, but I disagree in general about tipping for several reasons:

Firstly, in respect to yardwork, I am already paying $80-100/hour for this work and have every reason to expect quality work in exchange for the price paid;

secondly, are we paying for the workman to do better quality workmanship on my boat than on my neighbors' boats who aren't tipping?;

thirdly, am I tipping to jump to the head of the line ahead of other paying customers? Is this fair?;

Lastly, by paying tips in an industry (unlike restaurants) in which tips are not customarily paid, are we not simply setting a new higher standard for the cost of work that in most cases already contains payment for time spent by yardworkers walking back and forth to get materials and for coffee breaks, etc.?

Sorry to sound like a grumpy old man, but we already pay handsomly for work that in many cases is of less than stellar quality. So for those of you who endorse tipping, are you saying that it is now necessary to tip to obtain the quality and timeliness of work that we should have reasonably expected to receive in the first place?

Nothing wrong with your belief but let me ask then in the example the OP gave, how would you choose to recognize the employee's exceptional effort? Or would you do nothing on the premise that's what you paid for?

Back
Top Bottom