Tired of cable steering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loon

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Irene Mae
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36
My boat is a 36’ 1980 GB with cable steering and would very much like to do a conversion without going the full hydraulic route. What I’m really wanting is an AP. I’ve sort of looked at the Optimus system (electric to hydraulic) and like the idea but not the $$$. Anybody have any experience or ideas for me to explore?
Loon

25+ years ago I converted my Willard 30 from Cable to Hydraulic - two stations; and installed Navico A/P I'd say it was about 40-hours of work to do the conversion for me, but I was skinnier and more nimble then (but I know more now). Option at the time was a wheel-pilot which didn't work great due to slop in the cable steering.

I don't know squat about the Optimus system so cannot comment on it vs converting to full hydraulic. At the time, West Marine had a "Bargain Store" in Oakland which is where I found the hose, fittings, and helms. These days, full retail would be pretty expensive. Well over $2k for the parts alone I'd reckon (and wouldn't be surprised if $3k were the number).

Peter

Last edited:
Why don't you like cable? Ot has been great for me for 5 years.

Really want an auto pilot. Is there any way to get one with a cable system?
Loon

Loon
Try a PM to DeanOz. I think he did it with his IG32 with cable steering, similar to/ copied off the GB32. Whether it works for a 36, not sure. My old IG 36 had cable steering, never trouble, worth keeping for simplicity and no hydraulics to mess up.

Look into the Electric steer by wire system from Hypro Marine.
This is what the new Nordhavns are using and they are awesome.

No idea on pricing just know I like the way they work on the nordy’s I have delivered.

Thanks for the input! I’ll check it out next week, we’re off tomorrow to the San Juans til Sunday. Appreciate it.
Loon

I think the only issue is that unless you find a way to disengage the wheel(s) from the cable the autopilot will be turning them at will.

Most of the boats here have hydraulic steering, some 30+ years old and still working fine. A high percentage are Sea Star systems, readably available parts and service, reasonably priced. A/P is easily plumbed in.
If price is why you are reluctant to install hydraulic, the price of installing an A/P into a cable system is going to hurt, and you will still have a 40+ year old steering system.

Why don't you want to switch to hydraulic? :socool:

They make auto pilot units for literally every kind of steering system imaginable. Cable, hydraulic, electric, tiller, etc. See an expert.

pete

I found the cable steering on the GB to operate as if it was power steering. Very little effort to turn. I had considered a simple wheel steering AP such as EV100. As I said before the wheel(s) would be turned by the AP unless a way is found to disengage the wheel. A hydraulic system does not turn the wheel.

Loon

Mine has a gear on the upper helm driven by a rotary actuator. No cables involved directly with the ap.

Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 4.40.33 PM.png

loon-
It sounds like you need a rotary drive. Raymarine make a Type 1 and a Type 2. Both made to drive cable steering. I'm in the process of installing one on my Grand Banks 32.

Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 5.02.30 PM.jpgMaybe I should have added a little more info- the rotary drive has a sprocket. That sprocket is connected to another sprocket (via a chain) on the steering wheel shaft. It drives the boat by turning the wheel just as you would. I found this picture on Facebook recently. The sprocket on my steering shaft is split- it bolts together around the shaft so no need to remove all that steering gear.

Thanks a bunch guys. I’ll get more info and post what I find. That’s why I love this forum!
Loon

My Wood Freeman had a manual clutch to disengage it when not in use. As I recall the drive motor looked with a starter motor that was adapted to use.

Old tech for sure.

Back
Top Bottom