Tollycraft 57

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregg Kirby

Hi,
I am new to the group. I'm looking at a Tollycraft 57 tomorrow. If anyone has information/feedback on this model regarding quality, cruise speed, gph and overall likes and dislikes it would be greatly appreciated.
I thank you in advance.
Gregg

Hi,
You have a beautiful Formula.
Thank you for welcoming me into your club.
Best,
Gregg

Tollys are beautiful and a well built boat. Hope it works out for you. If it does then we will need some photos.

You’ve spent time aboard ? What engines.? I’ve seen some with wall covering issues. The 57s ER headroom is tight requiring a nimble owner. If well kept up they are indeed a nice vessel.

Tolly 57 will cruise at 10kts and burn a gallon a nautical mile if the bottom is clean and the engines are properly maintained. The boat has a higher top end but that is directly related to Max HP and you didn’t mention which engine package the boat comes with. However, anything over 10kts and suddenly you are looking at 2 gallons a mile or worse.

Boats were well built and well finished. If properly maintained they are excellent boats. Not to the standard of a Fleming but not much different than an OA of the same early 90’s vintage.

I'm on my 17th year of owning hull #27, a Tollycraft 57 wide body c/w a pair of 800 HP. 3408 Cats.

I agree with tiltrider with respect to the fuel consumption at speed values and you will likely soon realize that the boat operates most economically at 2 speeds. 9 knots burns about 7 gph, while 19 knots uses about 42 gph. Any speed above 12 knots is usually about the same gpm as 19 knots and is a waste of time.

My dislikes include:

The headroom in the E.R. at 5' is a pain at times.

House and start battery locations outboard of the engines is a poor choice. I relocated mine.

Main fuel tanks (500 Gal. each) and the blackwater tank are buried in the boat. Inspection and service access is non existent. Removal process starts with a chainsaw just to gain access.
Mine are original, and I dread the thought of replacement.

Lazarette hatch in the cockpit deck is subject to de-lamination due to water ingress. Same is true for the bowsprit.

Poor mechanical ventilation in the heads and galley.

No builder support, Tollycraft is long gone, now 25 years.

All that being said, I don't know of a boat in the same vintage and price range that I would rather own.

If you want more in depth information from me, PM me.

Hi Luna,
Thank you for all the information. I think I made a mistake when I tried to PM you. I apologize. I would love ask you some more questions when you have time.
Kind Regards,
Gregg

My wife and I got real close to buying one. Overall was impressed by the quality and the reputation. Wasn't aware of the tankage issue mentioned earlier however. The problem is that I would have needed to repower and we couldn't reach a reasonable compromise in price.

Curious what your thoughts are of the boat your viewed.

Hi Mako,
This 1990 is in immaculate shape. I was very impressed with the overall build quality. There was the section of the hull cutout for the bow thruster that was over 2 inches thick of solid glass. Beautiful wood in the main salon, pilot house and staircase. Unfortunately, the staterooms were all white and lost some of the warmth of the rest of the boat. Liveability overall was excellent. The Tolly has starboard pilot house door and a staircase to the bridge as you exit there. Port side main salon entrance through a wing door to the port mid and forward deck. In 1995, I think that they went to full walk-around. I guess a give and take, no full walk-around but a massive main salon.
Overall I thought it was built HD (stringers and engine mounts). We will see, I have to get her from Michigan to Connecticut. What were your thoughts?
Best,
Gregg

I had vessel #7 of the Tolly 53, which is the same vessel with a 4' smaller cockpit. Ours was an 89 with 6v92's.

Absolutely solid vessel. Agree on the battery locations... pita. We had no issues with the fuel tanks, but the black ours was very accessible under the hallway between the bunk room and guest head.

Loved the beamy salon, and all the storage. The fly was huge for a vessel of that size.

The down was the widebody. we made it work, but always having to run through the salon for aft access was not ideal.

Where is the one you are looking at? I am familiar with several of the 57's in the WA area.

A big plus is there is a VERY active owners group that seem to know everything about these vessels. Best of luck with it. We ultimately wanted newer and bigger and were willing to plunk down the funds to do it... but if i was still in that price range it would be near the top of my list.

JadePanama.

We use our boat year round in the same general climate as your stated location. Yes lots of cloud, rain and sometimes snow is encountered, 8 months of the year.
I almost always pilot the boat from the enclosed and heated flybridge and access the cockpit to land the boat (even solo) using the exterior ladder. I do not enter the salon unless we are secured and then once secured, I seldom visit the fly.

To us the benefits of the large salon and fly more than offset the loss of the side decks.

I'm unaware of the very active user group. Is it possible for you to provide some info. on this group? I don't do FB.

Gregg.

PM sent.

We certainly LOVED the massive salon. Everyone who came on board was just in awe of the space. the lack of side decks wasnt necessarily an issue, but now that i have had 2 boats with them I am like WOW what a difference. I piloted mixed from Fly and PH and never had any issues... very maneuverable vessel.

The group is on FB unfortunately. But if you havent joined the Tollycraft Boating club (tollyclub.com) they are very active. they have many cruises year round, and an almost fanatical group. I have seen more 1970's vessels that look pristine in that group than ever on any other manufacturer. Scott Fultz is also pretty active there and was R.M. Tollefson's right hand man for many years and is an absolutely walking encyclopedia of Tollycraft.

JP, thanks for that.

Hi Jp,
Thanks for all the information. I am flying out to Michigan for a sea trial on Friday on a 1990 with 8V92s. Her name is Nauti-Gal in Benton Harbor. Does she ride as well as you thought that she would? Is your stabilized? Nauti-Gsl is not. Sorry for the slow response.
Thanks,
Gregg

I've been aboard Nauti Gal. Clearly well maintained. The one thing that struck me as out of character was the dated fabric and vinyl wall covering accents in the salon, and the near 100% usage in the staterooms. Sort of an old motel feel...and not in a good way.

Hi Rufus,
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you on the dated feel. My wife will be decorating. It's to bad that Tollycraft didn't carry the warm wood colors from the main salon to the staterooms. My wife will dress her up. Sea trial on Friday and if everything goes well, we will try to get her home to Long Island Sound in May.
Kind Regards,
Gregg

Gregg
I have a Nordlund 61. Nordlund made the hulls for the Tolly. I normally curse the sound. Oyster bay area is a favorite of ours. Where will you be located

GK
There are some really savvy DD guys on boat diesel. With engine data in hand it may be helpful to query there as to the engine’s watch out points during survey.

I say this because way too many survey mechanics lack DD experience. I know enough about the V92 series to suggest this.

Back
Top Bottom