Transmission Temp gage installed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

george123

Has anyone ever installed a temperature sensor on a diesel transmission with a display on the dash? I was delivering a 47 Novi last week and we had a transmission over heat because it dumped its fluid. If we had a temp gage we could of seen it fail earlier and not damage the transmission.

Thanks
George

Maybe? With out fluid the gauge would be unable to read a temperature. Unless you are talking about adding heat pucks. I have used them with warning lights to measure for heat on all kinds of things like exhaust headers, mixing elbows, risers and so on.

Maybe? With out fluid the gauge would be unable to read a temperature. Unless you are talking about adding heat pucks. I have used them with warning lights to measure for heat on all kinds of things like exhaust headers, mixing elbows, risers and so on.
what are the heat pucks and where can I purchase

My ZF 63A tranny came with a level alarm switch which sets off a buzzer and light at the helm.

It would be pretty easy to install a cross on the hydraulic line going from the transmission pump to the transmission cooler. Put a temp sensor on one side and a pressure sensor on the other. Best of both worlds.

Ted

Raymarine makes an IR camera that can measure temps around the engine room. But I will bet that it is pretty pricey.

Check out Seaboard Marine (here) as they have everything you need from the sensors to hydraulic line fittings and gauges. I just replaced my 40-year-old gear hydraulic pressure gauge as the 20' hydraulic hose to helm gauge was stiff as a board. The new sending unit and electric gauge are good quality.

I this particular case a pressure sensor might have provided a better early warning than a temp sensor. Many transmissions are fitted with both.

I do recommend Ruuvi Tag Pro (connected via BT to a Victron Cerbo GX OR without and using their app)

Back
Top Bottom