USCG News Release for PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
News Release
U.S. Coast Guard 13th District Pacific NorthwestContact:*13th District Public AffairsOffice: (206) 220-7237After Hours: (206) 251-323713th District online newsroom

Coast Guard Introduces Email Subscription Service for Mariner Notices

The U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Center (NAVCEN) has completed its Maritime Safety Information (MSI) upgrade in the Pacific Northwest and now offer Broadcast Notice to Mariners (BNM) via email in addition to radio broadcasts.
The online subscription service is a supplement to the standard BNM broadcasts over VHF-radio that previously were the only way to receive this vital navigational information. Mariners can now use this new service to plan for underway periods and receive updates to navigational hazards in near real-time without having to wait on scheduled VHF-radio broadcasts.Mariners who operate in Oregon and Washington, including the Columbia and Snake River systems should visit the NAVCEN website and subscribe for email delivery of BNMs at:*https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=feeds
BNMs are organized by Coast Guard Sector and mariners can subscribe to one, two, or all three Sectors within the 13th District area:

Sector North Bend – Southern and central Oregon coast and rivers
Sector Columbia River – Northern Oregon coast, southern and central Washington coast, Columbia, Snake, and Willamette Rivers
Sector Puget Sound – Northern Washington coast, Strait of Juan de Fuca, San Juan Islands and neighboring straits, Puget Sound, and Lake Washington

Additionally, NAVCEN has developed an online BNM archive that is searchable and available to the public. BNMs can be viewed and downloaded from this database on the NAVCEN website at: https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/bnmmessages/DistrictSearchV1.php?d=13&i=3.
For any questions regarding these new services in the 13th District, please contact the office of Waterways Management at (206) 220-7280 or*D13-SMB-D13-LNM@uscg.mil
-USCG

I'm reminded of a speech that I gave to Maritime Industry executives (including US government agencies) some years ago:

[FONT=&quot]Local Notice to Mariners and Broadcast Notice to Mariners are a vital part of our navigation information system and need to evolve into an electronic system that provides more flexibility and access by mariners.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The vision for future Local Notice to Mariners is that the information needs to be available locally in a real-time electronic form, where the user can select what is desired. The information for special notices needs to be left in its full form and not summarized, and the user should be able to select the geographic area of interest.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]February 27, 1997
[/FONT]

I'm reminded of a speech that I gave to Maritime Industry executives (including US government agencies) some years ago:

[FONT=&quot]Local Notice to Mariners and Broadcast Notice to Mariners are a vital part of our navigation information system and need to evolve into an electronic system that provides more flexibility and access by mariners.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The vision for future Local Notice to Mariners is that the information needs to be available locally in a real-time electronic form, where the user can select what is desired. The information for special notices needs to be left in its full form and not summarized, and the user should be able to select the geographic area of interest.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]February 27, 1997
[/FONT]

Par for the course.

Yep, except the Gov't probably did 14 studies, spend untold amounts of $$$ to think tanks in order for all of them to conclude that the USCG needs to join the 21st Century!:D

Back
Top Bottom