V Berth Cushion replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rfawcett

Vessel Name
Sea Shanty
Vessel Make
34CHB
I need to replace the foam cushions majority of my boat but am wondering everyone's thoughts on foam. I am starting with the v berth and have read up on different foams that may work. Trying to work with a bit of a budget but am looking primarily at "open cell, medium density"

Does anyone have any tips about finding the best deal and whether this is the best stuff to use?

Cheers!

Last time I had them made for me...the pro used a medium to light density on top 2" and dense on the bottom 2".

I was before the craze of high tech foam mattresses.

Welcome aboard. I used to go with the dual density, more dense on the bottom and softer on top before we had memory foam mattresses. Now I just order a memory foam mattress from Amazon and cut it to shape. Then either upholster it or mane custom sheets to fit it. I have one in our spare bedroom that is cut to shape and waiting for us to make the custom sheets for it. Will get it done after I finish all the work on the boat.

On the old boat we used these.

https://www.amazon.com/LUCID-Inch-M...e&sprefix=bamboo+mattress,aps,227&sr=1-3&th=1

I bought a foam cutter, cut them to size and sewed up some new covers.
One of them facncy electric steak knives will work in a pinch, use some spray silicone on the blades.

For the kids bunks I would say they are fine, for our V-birth they were a little thin. Next time around I would go with the 10" or bigger if you have the room.

Attachments

• v-birth.jpg
    v-birth.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I did like RonR, mattress off the internet.
Layed out a tarp in the parking lot, that allowed more room to work and cut with sharp tools.

Also was a great opportunity for homeless jokes in the parking lot.

You won't likely have room to increase the thickness, so the only way to improve the comfort is by getting the best foam you can find. You should be able to find a foam shop that will let you try various densities until you get the one you can tolerate and still afford.

I need to replace the foam cushions majority of my boat but am wondering everyone's thoughts on foam. I am starting with the v berth and have read up on different foams that may work. Trying to work with a bit of a budget but am looking primarily at "open cell, medium density"

Does anyone have any tips about finding the best deal and whether this is the best stuff to use?

Cheers!

If you're on a budget check out Robnet's upholstery down in National City. They're around the corner from a massive foam/fabric warehouse so you can run in and test all the different materials.

Come to think of it you might want to hit the warehouse first if you don't actually need upholstery work done. Here's their site - tons of sunbrella fabric there as well: https://www.ufofabrics.com

@socalrider, thanks so much for the tip! it'll be nice to check out what they have in person rather than everything online.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom