Vetus thruster on Helmsman 38/Saville 37

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capran

Vessel Name
Honu
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38/Mariner Saville 37
Have the Vetus thruster on my helmsman/saville. last yr, our first, worked fine. thought I would test it and turned it on while on the hard to test. Battery switch on, Vetus on button pushed twice and lights up, but nothing moving when using the control toggle in either direction. manual says if the light is on, that it is not a fuse issue. trouble shoot guide only says that, and that won't turn if stuck with debris, but there is no debris (on the hard) and it does move/spin. sigh. don't see being able to launch tuesday with no thruster. Ideas/

You can still launch. You can remove all the electrical components while in the water.
I can’t remember if the control circuit can have a separate power source than the relays, but it’s possible. Check to see if the main switch to the relays is on and working. (Check for voltage on the big wires at the thruster itself)

I wish I was handy enough to do that. I and finding a mechanic without a 2 month wait list s impossible. As to the launch, I can barely dock with the thruster so going out without it wouldn't be possible. I sailed for 40 years including 21 on my last boat, a Catalina 34. Totally overwhelmed and bummed out. Vetus 75kgf 185 mm on the limited manual

How long did you run it while the boat was out of the water? On the Sidepower thruster we put in our last boat, Sidepower was very specific to not run the thruster while the boat was out of the water except for a very brief burst to test it.

Tried for maybe 2 to 3 seconds. I had turned on the battery switch to the two devices-the windlass and the thruster. Tried the windlass first, for less than 2 seconds. Then turned on the thruster by the controlling toggle and moved the joy stick for a 2 or 3 count. Didn't make a noise and don't think if it was spinning it would be totally silent given the sound it makes in the water.

Mine was fairly quiet out of the water. A lot of the noise is from cavatation.

Seems odd. You rely on it for docking so think if it worked until shortly before the yard lifted your boat. If so, it`s unlikely (though not impossible) something failed while the boat sat unused on the hard. Is there an ammeter showing the not insubstantial draw of the thruster, telling you it`s pulling amps. Noting Comodave`s post, can you get someone to observe the prop while you try again?

No noise at all ? Sounds to me like you have a lose ground or hot wire to the unit. try the wiggle test on all connections.

pete

We did have one of us stand next to the thruster propeller and no sound or movement when unit was turned on, and the light at the toggle shows green/ so not sure if the indicator light would be green/on if there was a ground or fuse problem, sine the small troubleshooting guide says: " if electric motor does not operate check if battery switch is on, check whether control panel fuse has burnt out, check if main fuse has burnt out. In all of above cases the power indicator light will not be on. Check if it is possible to turn the propeller. A piece of wood or similar could have been caught between the propeller and the tunnel." That's the entirety of the troubleshooting part of "electric motor does not operate". I sure appreciate all the ideas even though my skill set is so lacking.

I am not familiar with your thruster but first you need to get a schematic of the system. Then start checking the voltage at the thruster. There should be heavy duty cables that supply power. Check their connections and see if there is voltage. Then work your way to the thruster and see if there is voltage when you activate the thruster. There is probably a solenoid that actually provides the power to the thruster. The switch, or joystick, just sends a signal to the solenoid to turn on in one direction or the other. Check the small wiring from the joystick and see it there is voltage there when the joystick is pressed. Make a plan as you go through the schematic and then see where you have voltage or not. Also check each and every connection for being clean and tight. Take the heavy cable connectors off and clean. Then tighten them down and spray the connection with Boeshield. It will help prevent corrosion. A dirty connection can cause the thruster to not work or may cause a heat buildup from resistance in the dirty connection.

Same result on the upper and lower helms?

pete

You are so knowledgeable! I keep telling the first mate I only deserve a sailboat. I did check voltage going from the battery but am hoping I can get someone out to watch them go through the process. Will post again when I know more. Worst case scenario is we have to go home for a while waiting for service.

Is your boat in a marina? If so there is likely someone there that has basic electrical skills and can maybe show you how to do it, then buy them a lunch. But first contact Vetus and get a schematic of your system so they can show you where to start looking.

There is a short series of videos from Vetus Global that I was watching last night and I'd recommend.

https://youtu.be/hvmwfCAHJ48

My 95kgf Vetus stopped working a couple of days ago and I've been working through the troubleshooting.

If you have a helper I'd suggest you measure the voltage across the two big terminals on the thruster, and have the helper engage the thruster briefly while you listen and watch the voltage.

Thank you so much for that link.

No noise at all ? Sounds to me like you have a lose ground or hot wire to the unit. try the wiggle test on all connections.

pete

That is my suggest as well. We had a similar situation on our windlass motor. Seemed like everything was fine; the buttons would click the solenoids, but not actuate the motor. I cleaned up the connections on the motor itself and it all came to life. They didn't look that bad before I wire brushed them clean, but that was the problem.

Mine was the windlass motor, but the bow thruster motor is similar in design and application. If anything, it is easier to access for maintenance than snaking yourself up into the chain locker.

I sure appreciate the collective help. Had a mechanic come out. Voltage easy to check. Two main wires on either side of Vetus. OK. Checked fuses. OK. Unplugged the bottom white plug in cord OK. Tapped top of unit. OK. Very briefly tapped unit. Runs. Yay. Launch tomorrow. He suggested we come over and turn it on and tap left and right so that the brushes don't corrode.

With the Helmsman, the whole bed structure comes apart like one of those wood puzzles, so totally open to sit and do maintainence. Now I know what is what and where to check if things go south. If it didn't it would not be easy to access through two lockers. This trawler thing is not any easier than sailing!

Glad you got it sorted. I went through all that with mine, then pulled the brushes expecting them to be shot, but they were fine. Blew all the dust out and put the brushes back in, and it now works fine.

Gremlins!

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Trawler Forum mobile app

I was expecting the the worst-case too, so I get it. I relish those rare occassions! Launched yesterday. Staying in a marina tonight as we had other issues. Heading out tomorrow for the summer.

Turn the vetus power batteries switch off then pull apart the connectors of the control orange wires of the joystick. Switch the battery back on and put the connectors back together. This should reset the system and you should be ready to go. If this doesn't work, check the batteries. Mine are 180 Amps each. I had this same issue on my vetus 130pro.

my problem last year was similar to Ramkay. The contacts at the main power switch were corroded. Removed and given a shot of cleaner and bobs-your-uncle there was life!!
Love those gremlins.
Barrie

Back
Top Bottom