Washing Salt Off Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mliemon2

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Scout
Vessel Make
Grand Banks EU 47
I've searched the forum for a number of combinations, and was surprised to not find any threads pertaining to washing salt off of boats!

What are you doing that works? What products are you using?

Thanks!

Google says; Star Brite Salt Off Concentrate, Salt-Away Saltwater Remover, and Seaworks Boat Salt Remover. To remove salt stains, prepare a solution of 1 cup vinegar and a squirt of dish soap to every gallon of warm water.

Usually it rains here, sometimes there is water on the dock and I have a salt water hose to soften up dried salt. The windows need to be done in any event. White vinegar seems to work for everything on boats.

Coincidentally I'm washing the boat today. I use an ounce to 2 gallons of water. For persistent stains I use a worn out Scotchbrite sponge with straight soap. Works well, wax friendly, supposedly environmentally friendly, and usually goes on sale in the fall clearance. A bottle lasts 3 or 4 years.

20230530_144512.jpg

Ted

I've searched the forum for a number of combinations, and was surprised to not find any threads pertaining to washing salt off of boats!

What are you doing that works? What products are you using?

Thanks!

Foolproof timesaving method:

Step (1) Find an intelligent, hardy, woman.
Step (2) Trick said woman into marrying you.
Step (3) Sleep with new wife until you have a kid.
Step (4) Hand kid a sponge and a hose.
Step (5) Point at boat.

Follow me for other genius boating hacks!
(disclaimer: I said time saving not money saving)

Last edited:
There is a product called "salt away" that we use on cars in the winter to de-salt cars from road salt,, it works very well and sprays on with a hose..>>>Dan

Coincidentally I'm washing the boat today. I use an ounce to 2 gallons of water. For persistent stains I use a worn out Scotchbrite sponge with straight soap. Works well, wax friendly, supposedly environmentally friendly, and usually goes on sale in the fall clearance. A bottle lasts 3 or 4 years.

View attachment 139316

Ted

Does it come in lemon scent? :D

Are you asking about stains or just rinsing off the salt? I have a good friend that used to work for Procter & Gamble designing cleaning products who I asked what to use for rinsing salt off the boat after a day on the FL Gulf coast. He looked at me like I was a bit slow....water is his answer. Salt is obviously water soluble so I was apparently over thinking it. A good coat of wax on the hull really helps but that's all I have used since that moment.

Are you asking about stains or just rinsing off the salt? I have a good friend that used to work for Procter & Gamble designing cleaning products who I asked what to use for rinsing salt off the boat after a day on the FL Gulf coast. He looked at me like I was a bit slow....water is his answer. Salt is obviously water soluble so I was apparently over thinking it. A good coat of wax on the hull really helps but that's all I have used since that moment.

Your pal at P&G was right. The problem is that salt is not the only particulate that is left behind and the others are not as water soluble. I just use dawn and a very soft brush. And the kid.

Your pal at P&G was right. The problem is that salt is not the only particulate that is left behind and the others are not as water soluble. I just use dawn and a very soft brush. And the kid.

Dawn will take off the wax also. That’s why they invented boat soap (and car wash soap, for that matter).

I just use plain water from my dock hose with a nozzle. Washes the chunky salt right off the hull, works every time and looks good.

I guess I'm just a little slow here, as I just use fresh water . . . Either on the dock, or just switch the wash down pump (used for cleaning the anchor and chain as it's brought) over to fresh water, then turn on the water maker if needed!:D

Sometimes the hose isn’t enough. But the hose plus a soft rag/micro fleece (windows) or very soft brush usually is. Surprisingly rain usually isn’t enough unless it’s wind driven. Even then the side opposite the rain is still left with salt residue.
Like boat soap but like non skid cleaner more. Then don’t need to wander around with two bottles.

We use fresh water from the dock with a little bit of dawn with a brush. :)

Foolproof timesaving method:

Step (1) Find an intelligent, hardy, woman.
Step (2) Trick said woman into marrying you.
Step (3) Sleep with new wife until you have a kid.
Step (4) Hand kid a sponge and a hose.
Step (5) Point at boat.

Follow me for other genius boating hacks!
(disclaimer: I said time saving not money saving)

:rofl:

Another reason for loving a timber boat.
No need to worry about washing salt off
Salt loves timber and timber loves salt

My dad taught me this in 1970.

To wash the salt water off of a boat, first spray entire boat with fresh water (starting at the top) from a hose.

Wait 10 minutes for most of the water to run off.

Then spray entire boat with hose again.

The first soaking "releases" the salt. The second soaking washes it off.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

My dad taught me this in 1970.

To wash the salt water off of a boat, first spray entire boat with fresh water (starting at the top) from a hose.

Wait 10 minutes for most of the water to run off.

Then spray entire boat with hose again.

The first soaking "releases" the salt. The second soaking washes it off.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Cool, makes sense. Will try it this week.

Dave,

I know but it gives wifey something to do :)

Just as long as she doesn't read this.

I saw an interesting blurb on the internet where a person was rinsing their Yamaha outboard using hot tap water. They claimed it worked better than salt away. I have a hot water spigot in my cockpit. When we get back to the marina, we always have 6 gallons of hot water just sitting in the tank. I think I'll try spraying down the boat with that instead of the dock water. I just need to remember to top off the water tanks.

Car washing soap is what I use. Easy on wax,doesn’t streak and pocketbook friendly and readily available.

Actually we don’t have to do that, wash the salt off that is. Really nice not having our boat rust away either…

Not everyone is in fresh water :)

More Clarificaiton

I should have given a little background when I created the thread.

In the PNW, at least for me, just rinsing with water never quite did the trick. I've found that first rinsing with water and letting it sit for a bit, then giving a brushing, then spraying with salt-away gets rid of 90%.... I need soap for the final 10%.

I've heard a lot of people say 50/50 water and white vinegar is amazing, other say they use a high pressure wash down hose, but I also heard thats bad on gelcoat..... either way, what got me re-thinking about it was this video:

https://youtu.be/DnJt_tHFy7A

Note: Those videos are AMAZING and all worth multiple watches.

I use one of those salt away sprayer bottles that hook up to a hose, and fill it 50/50 with salt away and boat soap. I then just spray down the boat followed by a rinse and have had great results for years. in the PNW

Last edited:
I should have given a little background when I created the thread.

In the PNW, at least for me, just rinsing with water never quite did the trick. I've found that first rinsing with water and letting it sit for a bit, then giving a brushing, then spraying with salt-away gets rid of 90%.... I need soap for the final 10%.

I've heard a lot of people say 50/50 water and white vinegar is amazing, other say they use a high pressure wash down hose, but I also heard thats bad on gelcoat..... either way, what got me re-thinking about it was this video:

https://youtu.be/DnJt_tHFy7A

Note: Those videos are AMAZING and all worth multiple watches.

Now THAT is a detailed video on expedition boat storage & deck systems!

For those interested in just the topic of this thread, the author's comments begin at 34:10 into the video.

Put succinctly, spray boat with high-pressure water, then spray on vinegar in a spray bottle, wipe, then spray with water again.

He comments that he has tested most of the "salt-away" type of products and vinegar works just as well.

Earlier in the video, the author also recommends this pricey high-pressure spray nozzle, and comments that it has lasted him 25 years:

https://www.zoro.com/strahman-m-70-...MIovzf3MGm_wIVgtGGCh3-ugBfEAQYAyABEgJrqvD_BwE

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

When we lived in SoCal we went on several long range sport fishing boats. The crews always washed the boats down with 5 gal jugs of chlorine bleach. They said it was the best for removing salt.

Back
Top Bottom