Weaver Dinghy Davit - options for pulling dinghy up on edge and tying off…??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cabin6

I’ve got a Californian LRC 42, andwe have weaver dinghy Davit clips on swim step, and they work well and easy to clip / un-clip the dinghy.

We also have what looks like a base system for a Davit (see pic) - does anyone know what they are (name?) - we are thinking they would make a good foundation for pulleys/clamp to tilt the dinghy up for cruising…

Stern-Davit-2.HEIC

Stern-Davit-fdn-2.HEIC

Thanks!
Kim

Last edited:
I’ve got a Californian LRC 42, andwe have weaver dinghy Davit clips on swim step, and they work well and easy to clip / un-clip the dinghy.

We also have what looks like a base system for a Davit (see pic) - does anyone know what they are (name?) - we are thinking they would make a good foundation for pulleys/clamp to tilt the dinghy up for cruising…

Stern-Davit-2.HEIC

Stern-Davit-fdn-2.HEIC

Thanks!
Kim

No picture. Try again?

Here are photos… didn’t show inn original post

These are the pics I mentioned, but the links didn’t appear with the post.

Attachments

• CEAC877D-F79E-4BB3-A3F1-C41B519F2EDC.jpg
    CEAC877D-F79E-4BB3-A3F1-C41B519F2EDC.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 9521BE17-1C6C-4813-AB10-F02696ECD6BB.jpg
    9521BE17-1C6C-4813-AB10-F02696ECD6BB.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 38
I

SeaWise is another brand that works like the Weaver system, and St. Croix makes some removable davit systems too.

-Chris

Is it possible they were used to stabilize the opposite tube of an inflatable when tipped up? Usually that's done with stand off rods that are much less obtrusive but maybe PO wanted something more stable?

The PO we bought from back in April didn’t know… but if I could figure out what those are for (see pics I posted as a reply), then maybe I could Google it… we can pull the dinghy up and tie it off to a ring on the roof if aft cabin (where likely the trawler boom ropes also connected), but the we can’t easily walk across the cockpit because lines run across it…

Why not simply pull the dinghy up and lash the upper side to the handrail?
Are you concerned the handrail isn't strong enough?
If yes then the socket fittings you are querying would make good places to insert a lashing point if you rotated them 180 deg so the open side is forward.
You could then easily make or buy something that slotted in from the open (now front) side and gave you a lashing point.

Those davit bases do not look like they are secured adequately for handing a dinghy from. 4 screws won't do much. Before going too much farther take a very good look at how they are secured. Are there brackets on the inside and outside of the transom?
If not then the weight of even a light dinghy being lifted will likely tear them off that cap rail.

Davit foundation…

Those davit bases do not look like they are secured adequately for handing a dinghy from. 4 screws won't do much. Before going too much farther take a very good look at how they are secured. Are there brackets on the inside and outside of the transom?
If not then the weight of even a light dinghy being lifted will likely tear them off that cap rail.

Thanks… the foundations are very well secured and integrated into the gunwale. The pic just shows the top of them as I needed to figure out what they were…

Looks like the St. Croix removable Davit can handle up to 500 lbs, I believe … which is a lot more than our little dinghy.

At present we are using the weaver Davit clips and flipping the dinghy up … and have a solution that we’re going to test, using the foundation shown with weaver hooks so we can tie off the dinghy without running a
Lines across the cockpit.

Back
Top Bottom