Webasto Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gbinterim

Vessel Name
Interim
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36
This summer our Webasto Air Top Evo 40 diesel heater blew a glow pin. We were in Juneau, Alaska and the turnaround time would have been three weeks or better. I chose to purchase a new unit and have my old one repaired. The new one was $2,000 and the repairs came to $800. Im selling my 2018 for $1,000 plus shipping. Repairs and replacement parts were preformed by Sure Marine Service in Seattle.
Ron
Gbinterim@cox.net

Attachments

• CACA3D27-B32C-419F-9CA4-D445E1BBBD5C.jpg
    CACA3D27-B32C-419F-9CA4-D445E1BBBD5C.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 5AE35E1C-C6C9-467F-B718-DC2F14775EFB.jpg
    5AE35E1C-C6C9-467F-B718-DC2F14775EFB.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 9DDF9284-F68B-46BB-92D0-CD576869AEF5.jpg
    9DDF9284-F68B-46BB-92D0-CD576869AEF5.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 63
  • ADA989EC-2E12-41F2-BA9A-7A009739C5C5.jpg
    ADA989EC-2E12-41F2-BA9A-7A009739C5C5.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 77
Wow, a 2018 unit and it crapped out in a few years ? UGH

Did you take this up w Sure Marine in Seattle .. nicely?

Air frieght to/from Juneau shouldn’t be a problem. Read “a day or two.

Is there something not said in post #1?

I’ve had two Wabys on two different boats. Sure I had a few problems but every thing as a whole turned out fine. And I don’t even know what a “glow pin” is. Had no reason to know. Furthermore how would you know “it” was a glow pin”? You must have been working on it. Is glow pin another word for “glow plug”?

Go to the post office in Juneau and get info on sending parts to Seattle. taxi cabs are inexpensive and fast in most all communities in SE.
Nice place to get stuck tho .. I was born in Juneau. Lived right above the Governors mansion on Dixion st.

The heaters and Sure Marine are top notch IMO so I’m think’in this will turn out fine. You’re in it financially a bit too far but don’t give up.:blush:

Last edited:
The forced air heaters are really nice when they’re working. For a high duty cycle they fall short. I’ve had espars for decades, and as a livaboard I had to replace major parts every three years.
If you plan to use the webasto extensively, you might want to keep it as a drop in spare. It’s ready to go now that you went through the trouble of fixing it.
I do so much work on my espars that I bought the serial adapter and got the software so I could troubleshoot them myself.

The glow pin is the term used to describe the glow plug. In my case it was the code on the troubleshooting information sheet. I did contact Sure Marine and my unit was out of warranty. The original unit lasted 18 years and I was confident in the product. Shipping to and from Juneau was not a problem, just timing when it could be repaired. Love doing business with Sure Marine they go out of their way to help.

I see several posts about heaters now that the winter season is approaching. I’m reducing the cost of my heater to $900 plus shipping.

Thanks G about the “glow pin”.
Seems a world fad now to create a new word for old words that have been in place seemingly forever. Absolutely for yes. A four syllable wort to replace just one. Not smart IMO.

Re the heaters the Wabbys we had were good enough so I’d buy another. Underway after time I didn’t know it was running until I stepped out on the aft cockpit … oh yea .. it’s chilly out here.

Well the Chinese definitely copied the basic design.

Question I had a Webasto in my downeast boat when I got her. I ditched it b/c the glow plug "ran" almost constantly which killed my battery when anchored overnight. Is that still the case or have they done something better now?
The Bosch glow plug was available at any Mercedes dealer or foreign auto parts place as I recall.

Brooksie,
Mine is on while in the ignition cycle then shuts of once it's lit.

Brooksie,
I didn’t even know it had a glow plug. Would’a guessed that if asked tho. Many appliances have glow plugs. Perhaps I unconsciously thought of it.

The diesel oil furnaces universally suffer from fuel feed not unlike our diesel engines. Nothing much else can go wrong w them. Dirt, water or air in the line and the’re dead tho.

When I had mine serviced the Sure technician told me diesel fuel additives were hard on the unit. I had a one week turnaround on service, from my door to my door one week, the service cost only one hour of shop time at around $120.

Since I only have a 150 gallon fuel tank I just run it down before filling and dropped the additives.

Brooksie,
Mine is on while in the ignition cycle then shuts of once it's lit.

That's what I thought it should do but the local "repair depot" couldn't seem to fix it.

Reducing the price to $700 plus shipping.

Back
Top Bottom