Whaly dingy owners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
Anyone have a Whaly dingy, the 12 ft one? And how do you mount it on your boat?

I'm shopping and the Whaly looks interesting. Thx.

Hi , we have the 10 footer, the 310. Love it. Carry it up top and use the crane to deploy. Love how tough it is and it speeds along well with our 4 stoke 9.9. Absolutely love it.

Hi , we have the 10 footer, the 310. Love it. Carry it up top and use the crane to deploy. Love how tough it is and it speeds along well with our 4 stoke 9.9. Absolutely love it.

Thanks MUCH for the comment. Looking at the 12ft and trying to figure out how to lift it.

You can get stainless steel shackles to run through the places where the ropes are installed and hook your lifting bridle to them. You will also then run the ropes then through the shackles.

Thanks MUCH for the comment. Looking at the 12ft and trying to figure out how to lift it.
Seevee - I am in the process of mounting for a 310 AB RIB on my Willard 36 boat deck so some differences to your MS 430.

For me, I have a pipe davit crane for lifting. I will find the center of lifting by using cheap adjustable lashing straps from Harbor Freight so i can get the length of each leg correct. From there, I'll have a permanent lifting bridle made by a rigging shop (Defender has one). I also built a cradle for my RIB from 3/4" GPO3/fiberglass panels I purchased from McMaster Carr.

Hope at least a bit of the above is useful on your boat.

Peter

MV Weebles, would you happen to have a photo of the cradle you built? Did you attach it to the deck? Thank you!

AB has CAD drawings of the chocks on their website. I reached out to two fabricators - one would do them in aluminum, the other in 1-inch thick Starboard. Both wanted close to $2k by the time it was done which seemed a bit rich for my blood.

They are not installed yet - will be in a couple weeks once the paint is touched up on the boat. I purchased a 24"x36" sheet of 3/4" thick fiberglass sheet from McMaster Carr. I think it was about $150. Cutting it was fairly easy. I built some "feet" with scrap to make the base a bit wider and provide a pad for the mounting bracket (not shown). From OnlineMetals.com, I ordered 3-inch angle iron (316 SS) cut into eight 3" long lengths. I also ordered 316 SS backing plates to secure the underside of the mounting feet. The metal pieces were a bit expensive - over $225 with shipping.

The fiberglass GPO3 sheeting is incredibly robust and of course weather inert. It was fairly easy to work with.
https://www.mcmaster.com/Sheets/grade~gpo3/

In all, cost was under $500 and maybe 10 hours go fabricate (plus cost if paint and tools, which I already had).

Hope this helps.

Peter 497837595.jpg

AB has CAD drawings of the chocks on their website. I reached out to two fabricators - one would do them in aluminum, the other in 1-inch thick Starboard. Both wanted close to $2k by the time it was done which seemed a bit rich for my blood.

They are not installed yet - will be in a couple weeks once the paint is touched up on the boat. I purchased a 24"x36" sheet of 3/4" thick fiberglass sheet from McMaster Carr. I think it was about $150. Cutting it was fairly easy. I built some "feet" with scrap to make the base a bit wider and provide a pad for the mounting bracket (not shown). From OnlineMetals.com, I ordered 3-inch angle iron (316 SS) cut into eight 3" long lengths. I also ordered 316 SS backing plates to secure the underside of the mounting feet. The metal pieces were a bit expensive - over $225 with shipping.

The fiberglass GPO3 sheeting is incredibly robust and of course weather inert. It was fairly easy to work with.
https://www.mcmaster.com/Sheets/grade~gpo3/

In all, cost was under $500 and maybe 10 hours go fabricate (plus cost if paint and tools, which I already had).

Hope this helps.

Peter View attachment 131335

That is awesome! Thank you for sharing!

Seevee - I am in the process of mounting for a 310 AB RIB on my Willard 36 boat deck so some differences to your MS 430.

For me, I have a pipe davit crane for lifting. I will find the center of lifting by using cheap adjustable lashing straps from Harbor Freight so i can get the length of each leg correct. From there, I'll have a permanent lifting bridle made by a rigging shop (Defender has one). I also built a cradle for my RIB from 3/4" GPO3/fiberglass panels I purchased from McMaster Carr.

Hope at least a bit of the above is useful on your boat.

Peter

Peter,
Great ideas, thx. And, yes, I'll most likely rig similar.

Are you based in St. Petersburg, FL? If so, where do you keep Weebles?

Peter,
Great ideas, thx. And, yes, I'll most likely rig similar.

Are you based in St. Petersburg, FL? If so, where do you keep Weebles?
I see you are in Madeira Beach too. We recently downsized from our house in St Petersburg to a small house in Madeira Beach so we are neighbors. However, when Weebles eventually makes it to Florida, she will reside in a slip we own as part of a condo in St Pete Beach a few miles south. We just recently quit our jobs so still trying to figure out what life looks like for us.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom