What do you think the cost of sailing 15000 miles is in a catamaran vs an up to 60feet trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foilmagnet

The setup in the Trawler will be single engine with a get home.
Speed max 9knots but trawling at 6 knots
Engine will hopefully be a gardner or lugger v6. Get home.... What ever there is in it
Full displacement hull.
size from 46 feet to max 60 in the trawler I know it is wish full thinking to find a v6 gardner in a 60feet trawler. Well in almost any boat from after 1998.
Age no more than 25 years of the trawler
The cat will be a sail cat. min 40 feet and max 47 feet.
Age no more than 20 years of the sailcat.

Both used in hmmm ready to sail shape. What ever that means.

I am not so much thinking in fuel cost but service and repair cost. I have a feeling from all i read and seen that a sailboat is way more expensive in the long run. But i am often wrong so why not now

Never been a sailor, but I would think the costs would be similar depending on where you plan to cruise. In the PNW the sailboats I see are mostly motoring, so costs would be the same. If somewhere that you can mostly sail, then you will be using those sheet thingamabobs, so those would be the wear items vs mechanical's. I don't know those costs. Your true cost will depend on your capabilities.

Hard to say because rarely will you find a trawler that is not equipped with a lot more creature comforts that are expensive to fix. Similarly equipped and no fuel considerations, the trawler wins hands down because it only has one rugged propulsion system and the sailboat has one rugged and one more vulnerable to the elements.

Back
Top Bottom