Which Packing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
After installing new Aqualloy 22 shafts, it’s time to decide on stuffing box packing. I’ve used Gore GFO in the past, but ABYC recommends against packing containing graphite due to the potential for galvanic corrosion. Rod Collins at Marine How-To has moved away from graphite but—last I read—he said it might be acceptable with AQ22 and continual monitoring of shaft anodes.

So what is everyone using? Particularly, what are the pros and cons of a Teflon packing like TefPack? I would only use flax as a last resort.

Personally I've been using Palmetto 1347AF (PTFE acrylic packing) on my boat for about 5 years. It works well, once it's broken in it can be tightened to almost no drip without getting hot, etc. No complaints and at least when I bought a bunch it was cheaply available (it's not a marine specific packing, but the specs indicate it's suitable based on shaft speed and other factors).

Thanks for the recommendation. I’d also heard tales about teflon scoring shafts but maybe that’s not so?

Thanks for the recommendation. I’d also heard tales about teflon scoring shafts but maybe that’s not so?
I'd expect you can score a shaft with any packing if you run it too tight or let things get too hot. Basically, if the shaft is getting scored then things aren't lubricated adequately.

For my rudder posts I had a bit of trouble keeping them consistently dry. So I opened them back up, took a bunch of heavy marine grease, coated the packing and generally got a bunch into the gland and down into the rudder tube just below it. Put it back together and the steering was a bit lighter at the dock, so the grease noticeably reduced friction. And I haven't had a drop of water from the rudder posts since I did it. I haven't had any reason to add grease on the shafts though.

I have dripless on our current boat but our last boat had Duramax for at least 15 years when we bought it. I had pulled the engines so while I had them out I went ahead and rebuilt the stuffing boxes. The shafts were absolutely perfect where the packing was so I put Duramax back in. One excellent benefit is that after a break in period you can adjust the stuffing box so it doesn’t drip at all.

About 10+ years ago I changed to the Gore GFO packing. It is still in the stuffing box doing its job. I pulled the shaft 2 years ago and took it to the local expert shaft shop and they said no problems.

It is a SS shaft but I don't know which alloy but there were NO SIGNS of corrosion or wear at the stuffing box. My shaft has a relatively long exposure to seawater so I mount 3 shaft zincs to it.

The only adjustment I do is about a 1/2 or 1 flat nut tightening to control the drips per year. Other than that no problems.

Thanks, all.

I decided to go with the mostly good experiences many folks have reported with graphite packing. Also with the assurances of several reputable shaft fabricators/repairers that they have never seen an Aqualoy/Aquamet 22 shaft damaged by graphite.

I appreciate the good counsel.

Any packing can and will damage the shaft if left for extended periods of pickling in salt water.
Boats that are frequently operated seldom have shaft corrosion problems in the packing, and even less on boats that get regular fresh water flushing after use.
I like the graphite packing, it can be pretty much drip free with careful adjustment.

I recommend the Teflon packing Used it for years no issues.

I used the Ultra-X graphite packing. It didn't leak even with the gland not even hand tight. You have to weigh the corrosion, which you can control, to the wear on the shaft of other packing that you have to tightened to control leakage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom