Who has/uses AIS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think a B+ transponder is an easy call on a new boat. A switch to turn the transmit off is very easy to fit, if you ever feel the need to go dark or want to leave systems on when stopped.

I have a receiver and I find its utility very limited as few pleasure boats in NE have transmitters. Price would have to drop dramatically for me to purchase transmitter.
I noticed that in Maine and the Maritimes. Few pleasure boats and none of the fishing boats transmit. But lots like you are on receive. So there's more value to be transmitting than you might think.

I had a few cases where I was tracking unknown targets in the fog, and they called me by name on the VHF. And small boats that have AIS but not radar are going to steer well clear of me.

What surprised me in our encounter with the 900’+ freighter was that he readily charged course to go around me. He was the give way vessel but I expected some grief about it, but no he did the correct thing right away. It was refreshing.

In my experience, professional mariners always do this, following the rules as they should.

For those who boat in areas that have reliable cell coverage, go to your APP Store and get one of the many AIS Apps. Marine Traffic is there and loads quickly, but is not real time. The one I use combines good navigation charts with AIS, and is Real Time, all for a low annual fee, though unless you leave it on, you may want one that loads more quickly.
When I leave cell service, unless I have my phone as a hot spot, I get charts where there is GPS, but no AIS information.

As it is on my phone, I have it with me wherever I go. A few days ago I used it to navigate on a shoreside walk in Honolulu, far from my boat.

Keep in mind that you will only see targets that are within range of scattered land receivers, all of which are volunteer amateur operated. I have been in busy ports where these web apps show nothing because there are no volunteer receivers in the area. I don't think they should ever be used as a nav tool.

Agree completely. Transmitting is just as if not more important than receiving. I want the big commercial ships to see me and be able to call me by name on the VHF. Let them tell me what to do do to stay out of their way.

Ditto. AIS can see vessels around islands, see vessels coming your way that are not in your line of sight - somethings radar can't do. It also give you the vessels names for hailing purposes. It's also handy to find friends when you are cruising, say, the Canadian Gulf Islands or any area of moderate boat traffic. AIS is a must have and buy a transceiver.

As the saying go's. I would not leave home without it!

On my way to Martha's Vineyard passing Vineyard Haven. A ferry from Edgartown was coming around the island going 30 knots if not more. Small boats were to his left and right. Rather than try to figure out were exactly he was going I was able to call him by name.

Passing Newport R.I. in the fog for close to 2 hours. There were boats coming out and passing Newport in both directions. We were able to call each other since its gets tight between Block Island and Judith Point.

I can keep going with this................

Keep in mind that you will only see targets that are within range of scattered land receivers, all of which are volunteer amateur operated. I have been in busy ports where these web apps show nothing because there are no volunteer receivers in the area. I don't think they should ever be used as a nav tool.

Yep! I was in Boston Harbor taking some people on a tour around the islands. I was asked by a friend on land if I turned my AIS off. It was never turned off. This goes back to TT's point. The islands blocked my signal to the land based receivers. How far inland are these receivers?

Are we talking receiving or transmitting?

I receive only. Mostly for being able to see the big ships coming from a distance. With AIS and the shipping lanes I can plan safe crossings well in advance. Also helpful when crossing the ferry lanes .

Send and receive has proven a great safety device for us when in controlled shipping lanes and in open water. We've been contacted innumerable times by control lane operators, cruise ships, tugs, large yachts, ferries and other "small" boats that can see us on AIS. Foggy bad weather where vision is nil, boats moving much faster than us or course conflicts often elicit a contact. It is also great socially to be seen by boats we are trying to hook up with.

Our every move is live and recorded by Marine Exchanges which we feel is a great safety factor. Our shore family watchers can see us and enjoy our journey in live time. Send receive AIS is a :thumb::thumb: for us.

Last edited:
In getting electronics for our upcoming boat, I'm debating AIS. Not to get into any political discussion about surveillance etc., but I'm curious who has and uses AIS here? If getting electronics now, would you get it?

We had a transceiver on the last boat, and now have added on to this boat.

Especially useful in fog with big ships around, so we can arrange to keep out of their way. Sometimes useful for that in clear weather, too.

Sometimes useful to see the name of a recreational boat so we can hail and discuss passing or crossing or whatever. Not many recreational boats around here have it, though, so AIS is in no way a replacement for radar.

Used to be called Boatbeacon. When I renewed a couple of years ago it had combined with the Nav App and is now called SeaNavNP $37.99.
I watch ships gping past my house and have this App and Marine Traffic. Marine Traffic can be a few seconds but is usually a few minutes late. Boatbeacon is almost always RealTime.

Is that monthly? In any case, seems like it might not take many $37.99s to pay for an AIS transceiver.

-Chris

Very good point. It is important to understand the strengths and weaknesses of all systems used. I use the apps in addition to the AIS transceiver not instead of. The onboard AIS is range limited by the VHF signals it uses. The APP is not. The APP can be used for a long range "heads up" of traffic to anticipate seeing with the onboard AIS.

I never had it and never found a real need to get it.
I boated out of Mystic, CT and did all around LI Sound, BI Sound, Gardner's Bay, up and down the Hudson several times and in the Canadian and Erie canals.
If it were included in some of the electronics I had I might have used it, but never thought it was worth the expense to add it.

I only have it on an app for marine traffic and only use it for curiosity to see the name of ships around me. Do not consider it as a needed navigation tool.

Nick part of the year we cruise in your area. Pluses to a transceiver that make a big difference are.
Other vessels can identify you by name. Both going into and out of the cape cod canal this can be quite helpful. The receiver allows you to identify barge/tugs but times come they want to know your intentions and rather than having a host of boats responding to a VHF call a transceiver makes it a specific call.
We set up alarm zones on the AIS as well as the radar. On occasion crew or I have a brain fart. Distracted doing something else, or tired or hate to admit daydreaming. Being able to know in a second point of closest approach and what’s approaching is so helpful. Radar gives me only part of the information. MARPA/ARPA aside. The AIS is easier and faster.
I will buddy boat on occasion. Here again with both boats having transceivers it’s much easier to keep an eye on each other.
Many of my friends have transceivers. Often they will see me on the water or in an anchorage or I’ll see them which allows us to chat and often make unexpected plans to meet up for dinner or drinks . Sometimes as we’re going past a spot we’ll see a friends signal. Then a chat on the cellphone or vhf breaks up the day.
As you know not only when fishing but even when just cruising in New England there’s spots with a lot of traffic. It’s often mixed commercial and pleasure. From what I hear in our region more and boats not just ships have AIS transceivers unlike other areas. So the utility will continue to increase with time.
Sure radar is great but it doesn’t tell what you’re looking at. The cost difference between a receiver and transceiver isn’t enough compared to the benefit. Both for safety, convenience and socializing a transceiver is the way to go.

Last edited:
I noticed that in Maine and the Maritimes. Few pleasure boats and none of the fishing boats transmit. But lots like you are on receive. So there's more value to be transmitting than you might think.

I had a few cases where I was tracking unknown targets in the fog, and they called me by name on the VHF. And small boats that have AIS but not radar are going to steer well clear of me.

If you are navigating in fog or at night you need radar. Less than 10% of boats have AIS so it is not something to rely upon. I haven't seen the need to call radar targets. I steer clear of them.

In the daytime I look out the window. See and avoid. I am not glued to the mfd. Not many narrow channels in the Northeast but everyone uses the same buoys as waypoints so you can't be daydreaming. (and if you do lapse you will most likely run over a pot warp and wrap it around your prop)

The reason I prefer driving from the CB is the open air, NO windshield. If you have not noticed the difference give it a try, see how much more you can see at night not looking through a windshield.
I will turn on radar once in a while to ensure it is working during daytime, for when it will be needed, like in the fog and night.
But travelling at 7 knots, listening and looking seldom have needed it.
When I find myself with boat bucks to spare I will consider one that integrates into chart plotter screen.

The reason I prefer driving from the CB is the open air, NO windshield. If you have not noticed the difference give it a try, see how much more you can see at night not looking through a windshield.

Bridge is great on a warm calm day. Rough seas or chilly day (frequent) I am down at the helm.

I Turn on the radar frequently when at the helm during day.. Practice makes perfect and fog can roll in very quickly. Not the time to read the manual.

I waiting for prices on FLIR thermal cameras to drop below $500.

Last edited:
I have AIS and use (transceiver). My boating in in the Pacific NW - Canada and US, where I see more and more boats with that equipment. I like it as a way to keep an eye on shipping and ferries. It’s also great for buddy boating.

Wow, thank you very much everyone for all your thoughts and opinions, I appreciate it!

Fog happens often in this area. I never go out in fog, but have been caught in conditions where I can't see past the bow. It's unnerving (at least for me) to know there's something just a couple of hundred feet off the boat, I can hear it and see a radar return, but have no idea what it is. For a few hundred bucks more, I'll go for AIS, transmit and receive. It might not be the be-all answer all the time, but I'll take the incremental benefit.

Thanks again!

As the saying go's. I would not leave home without it!

On my way to Martha's Vineyard passing Vineyard Haven. A ferry from Edgartown was coming around the island going 30 knots if not more. Small boats were to his left and right. Rather than try to figure out were exactly he was going I was able to call him by name.

Passing Newport R.I. in the fog for close to 2 hours. There were boats coming out and passing Newport in both directions. We were able to call each other since its gets tight between Block Island and Judith Point.

I can keep going with this................

Pre-AIS - when doing runs to Bermuda or the Islands from the east coast and you saw a ship and lights we would generically hail the vessel at so and so coordinates to communicate intentions and/or instructions.

Crickets.

Those ocean barge tows can go waaaay back with lame lighting. Scary stuff searching for that barge(s) way back yonder.

AIS - "Hailing vessel Blah-Blah-Blah". We get an immediate response.

Nice to have that name. Accountability is a good thing.

Anywhere.

Never had it until we bought our new (to us) boat last fall. We send/receive and found it very useful on our 400+ mile cruise up the ICW. As mentioned previously in this thread, it puts a name/other info with radar targets and facilitates easy communication with oncoming boats. Thumbs up for AIS.

The problem with asking those who do not have AS and who are also not running out to get it is that in all likelihood they have not witnessed it in use and have no useful information to pass on to you.

I have used it in different boats equipped either receive-only or transponder models. I prefer transponder mode, but I cannot justify any expense beyond receive-only for my own, very local use boat.

The problem with asking those who do not have AS and who are also not running out to get it is that in all likelihood they have not witnessed it in use and have no useful information to pass on to you.

I have used it in different boats equipped either receive-only or transponder models. I prefer transponder mode, but I cannot justify any expense beyond receive-only for my own, very local use boat.
Rich, really! :rolleyes:
Those of us that do not have have given reasons why, that is also useful information for consideration.

I have AIS receive only. I really don't care locally about using it in NJ or NY harbor.

Where I think it is helpful is in the ditch / ICW with boat traffic. I radio ahead and call out I am passing port or starboard with the name of the boat. What I don't like is 4 out of 10 do not reply back or acknowledge - is it not paying attention to a channel or do they have the previous boat name on the transmit? I am trying not to rock the crap out of you but you are not even listening so is it worth it? I often wonder. Those that reply back seem to appreciate that I am slowing down passing on starboard and giving you a heads up. But 5 transmit out of 20 that I pass have AIS where I can call (lol yes I receive only - kind of like a pot calling the kettle...)... Those others seem to have a dinghy covering their names on the stern so I can't even call because no one seems to know where they are and who is coming up behind them...
AIS is nice - Radar is better - know who and where you are is priceless.

And I am just the opposite.

The boats that to me that present the most danger on the ICW are the little Joe's, ripping around fast in all kinds of weather who have neither AIS or RADAR (or aren't/don't know how to use it).

To me it is valuable in places where many of the vessels have it, use it and are good enough skippers that it matters.

There were other vessels on the ACIW that did annoy me, but I hardly needed AIS to nav safely and their acts spoke the same.

It is invaluable in some waters/situations (a small part of the time in my cruising) and maybe a dangerous distraction in others (depending on one's skills). I bought a radio with receive only late in the game but had it for years on commercial vessels I delivered (maybe some private vessels but never remember using it on them).

What I find curious is how often vessels (even reported here) use the radio to make passing arrangements or nav decisions. Most of the time it was obvious and I was already reacting to make it clear what to do. Like the story about the large freighter that had already begun a turn to go around a small vessel.

I would recommend getting it and all the great gear that is out there, especially direct safety/survival gear. I just hope newer boaters realize AIS's use to it's fullest extent and where it fits in with wise navigation. To me it's all about where you are, the threats that are present, how you detect them and how you avoid them.

AIS can be great when used accordingly.

Last edited:
Can't remember exactly when I put AIS on the charter boat (15 to 20 years ago). My business (carrying scuba divers to shipwrecks) required me to anchor 15 to 60 miles off the Atlantic coast, where commercial shipping moves North and South. Previously I would have to call unnamed ships repeatedly to change course as I was anchored with divers in the water. It was common to have near misses (1/4 to 1/2 mile) every year or two. I added AIS thinking I would be able to contact ships by their name. In reality, the the ships approaching could identify me with the use term "conducting underwater operations ". Never had another ship pass within a mile of me.

When outfitting Slow Hand, it wasn't a question of if AIS, but how big an antenna with how much gain. While you will find a much smaller percentage of recreational vessels with AIS in the Great Lakes and inland waters, it was extremely rare in 2017 when doing the Great Loop, to find commercial vessels without AIS.

Ted

Perhaps my reality is different but suspect not. As the years have gone by traffic density on land and water as increased. Percentage of operators not knowing or caring about traffic laws or solas has increased. Our use patterns have changed. On the motorcycle it meant make believe you’re invisible. Then take off before people wake up. Then trailer to low density areas before riding. On the boat it meant don’t go on weekends if you can avoid it. Use the AICW before or after the great migration. Use every tool you can to stay away from the distracted or brain dead egocentric ********. I assume the other vessel is clueless. Won’t respond to VHF. Doesn’t know their sound signals and isn’t at the helm. Even if only 10% of recreational boaters have transceivers and nearly all commercial traffic does it means a significant percentage is giving me information I can use to take them off the collision risk balance sheet. It means I have more time to assess and plan for the jerks. That’s worth every penny. I want to help the others so send out my signal I.e. a transceiver.
As many have mentioned radar is line of sight. Doesn’t see around corners. In high density areas there’s so many returns it’s hard to know what’s what. In recent travels AIS was a more helpful tool than radar passing through NYC and over the length of the AICW. Day and night, clear, rain or fog we always have both AIS and radar on. Been told you’re obligated to do so unless it’s broken. Morally think if you can afford a boat you can afford to lower other people’s stress and increase safety of all. Think at this point given the modest cost of a transceiver in the scheme of things it’s Luddite, selfish thinking to not have one. So there……
BTW while we’re talking about seeing and being seen my other bugaboo is radar returns. Even with a brand spanking new radar I am surprised how bad some boats returns are. Sure I can use my filters but when there’s sea clutter or rain I lose other information. Especially in the ICW saw so many boats without reflectors of any sort. It was a rainy cold trip at times. A mostly white boat on a misty day with a low sun angle was hard to see. Talking about expenses if you don’t want a transceiver please get the best reflector you can.

Last edited:
I have not yet added AIS, but at this point, it's pretty much the next thing on the list. In my mind, it's another tool that gives you information you might not otherwise have. And that's never a bad thing.

I've been noticing more AIS-broadcasting boats pop up on Marinetraffic locally over the last couple of years, so it's definitely getting more common (albeit a minority amongst recreational boats).

I have receive only, it came with the boat and I really like it. It's built into the VHF and displays on MFD's at both stations. Large shipping is constrained to the channel, which I can easily avoid and run in shallower water to avoid them. I'll upgrade to a transceiver at some point before I'm traveling further and on more constrained waterways, but for now, being able to alter course earlier and usually to a less degree while giving ships a wide berth, is a great benefit. Both my radar and my ability to tune it cannot hold a candle to the ease of use of the AIS. I recognize the limitations of not seeing craft such as myself which are not tranmitting, but I can more easily avoid recreational boats like mine or, in the worst case, survive an impact with a similar craft, I cannot say the same about a container ship, tug, etc.

At some point, if every boat is transmitting, my MFD's would become quite cluttered, I haven't looked into whether you can filter out the smaller craft but at this point, far less than 50% of recreational craft in my area are transmitting so it isn't a concern.

At some point, if every boat is transmitting, my MFD's would become quite cluttered, I haven't looked into whether you can filter out the smaller craft but at this point, far less than 50% of recreational craft in my area are transmitting so it isn't a concern.

Most MFDs let you conditionally hide targets. You can typically hide based on conditions such as "hide targets that aren't moving" or "hide targets based on CPA" so you don't see boats that are stopped or not going to get within, say, 2 miles of you (such as a boat heading away from you).

We had just anchored on a sharp bend of the Tenn-Tom, well out of the channel, last November when I saw a tow coming upstream on AIS. I raised them by name and the captain advised that he wouldn’t have any trouble getting by us with his two-wide barges, but that wider tows might have a problem. We decided not to wait and started hauling the bow and stern anchors as he began his 90-degree turn to starboard—and promptly grounded the lead barge. He apparently tried to force the barges back to deeper water which resulted in the entire tow pivoting on the lead barge directly toward us. Disturbing to say the least to see a massive wall of metal sliding steadily in our direction with the engines dimed and the operator seemingly unable to stop it. Because we had ample warning and got the anchors up quickly, we were able to slip out well behind the tow without incident.

That night, at another anchorage behind a bridge abutment, I set a two-mile alarm on AIS to wake me when a tow was approaching. We were protected by the bridge from down-bound traffic, but exposed to anything coming upstream. Again, I was able to call them by name to make sure they saw us. Invariably, they’d already seen us on their AIS. I was already a fan of AIS before that run on the Tenn-Tom, having been thanked numerous times by tow captains for being able to “see” and hail us in advance. There are so many advantages to AIS, like being able to see around corners in many of the places we boat, I would not want to be without it.

Attachments

• 02CBAD3D-E2D1-49AA-938E-E64157714754.jpg
    02CBAD3D-E2D1-49AA-938E-E64157714754.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom