Winter Boat Cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kernr

Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Europa
Hi All -

Well it is time once again to think about winterizing our boat. I have been thinking about doing something other than shrink-wrapping. Inside storage is limited in RI and pretty pricey. Last year it cost around $2,400 to shrink-wrap the GB 47 Europa. So I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for someone that makes winter covers. This particular boat model with the bimini off and dinghy in the garage is pretty smooth. Probably need 2 or 3 PVC supports forward of the cabin and one support in middle of fly bridge.

I would think that three zippered together panels (to manage from a weight standpoint) it would not be that difficult to manufacture.

All inputs appreciated,
Bob

Off hand I would guess that it would cost in excess of 10 to 12K out of Sunbrella and that may be a low price.

Yikes. Costs us about $750 to shrink wrap our ~41 LOA boat here in South Dak. Including a zipper door.

They use the same stuff for boats here that they use to shrink-wrap those gigantic sausages of hay or silage in the fields, probably helps keep our costs down.

Attachments

• Vermeer_InlineBaleWrapper_1_1.jpg
    Vermeer_InlineBaleWrapper_1_1.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 32
This another good reason to head south.

I think you challenge will be getting something made for this season. Our cover was made by Tidewater Canvas in Md and is 10ths old. There are a few local places that do this, if you go to the Newport boat show this week they will be there.

I was told that a replacement cover would be around $8k

I think you challenge will be getting something made for this season. Our cover was made by Tidewater Canvas in Md and is 10ths old. There are a few local places that do this, if you go to the Newport boat show this week they will be there.

I was told that a replacement cover would be around $8k

A cover for a GB 47 has got to be many times the sq footage of a cover for a Mainship Pilot. I would bet that a canvas cover for most boats is roughly 10 x the cost of shrink wrap which is why not too many invest in them.

No doubt it would cost much more. I have been told the lifespan for a covers is around 15 years so do the cost benefit. Min has held up pretty well through some heavy snow and winds

No doubt it would cost much more. I have been told the lifespan for a covers is around 15 years so do the cost benefit. Min has held up pretty well through some heavy snow and winds

I agree. But part of that analysis should be how long you intend to own the boat and how much, if any, would the cover add to the value of the boat at sale. No doubt it's a nice feature, but doubt it adds significantly to the sale price.

Also, at least where I winter, if you own your own cover, you pay the yard to install and remove it and store it. Thre is also framing required. So it's nowhere near cost-free once you purchase it. There may be some people that can do that work themselves, but then again, your time and effort is not really "free" anyway.

Last edited:
And what a job it would be to cover a 47’ boat.

Funny, one of the bigger boats in our marina (40-something), about 1,500 miles from the Atlantic and about as far from saltwater as you can get on the continent, has a winter cover from the town where I was born -- label says Fairclough Sail Makers in New Haven, CT. That's about how far we have to go for a really large canvas cover. I hope that was shipped with the boat when it came out, because I can only imagine the weight and shipping cost on a cover like that. Beautiful cover though, and it's weathered very well through the 11 years we've been at our marina. Black vinyl layered on fabric. I assume they did black on purpose to absorb heat and shed snow.

Hi All -

Well it is time once again to think about winterizing our boat. I have been thinking about doing something other than shrink-wrapping. Inside storage is limited in RI and pretty pricey. Last year it cost around $2,400 to shrink-wrap the GB 47 Europa. So I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for someone that makes winter covers. This particular boat model with the bimini off and dinghy in the garage is pretty smooth. Probably need 2 or 3 PVC supports forward of the cabin and one support in middle of fly bridge.

I would think that three zippered together panels (to manage from a weight standpoint) it would not be that difficult to manufacture.

All inputs appreciated,

Bob
Would / could you be interested.in a DIY project?
There are materials that IMO would be better and much less $$ than Sunbrella.
If you bought a Sailrite or other heavy duty sewing machine you can DIY and come out ahead of paying a canvas shop on your first project.
You would need to design and build a framework yourself.
Some of the materials I have in mind and have worked with are very waterproof and durable. I would guess a 10 year life expectancy would be conservative. I made some covers for a friend for his wood piles and they are still in decent shape after more than 10 years of 24/7/365 exposure.
If interested let me know and I can provide more details & info.

Most permanent covers around here are indeed Fairclough and look impressive. As much as I'm impressed with many of Don's DIY projects, I can't imagine taking on a custom cover for a 47' GB as a first try. I think the OP is underestimating what goes into a full custom cover and framing. It's a lot more than a couple PVC pipes and a few connected tarps. Here's an idea what's involved for a smaller, simpler sailboat:

Back to the original question which seems to be mostly about cost. You can look at investing in a cover but it will be 10's of thousands I'd guess. It may make sense long term, you'll have to do the analysis and decide for yourself. There may be cheaper shrink wrap options. You may be able to hire an independent contractor cheaper than your marina. Some people also DIY shrink wrap but I would not recommend that on such a big boat unless you're experienced. I really think you need to bite the bullet and budget winter storage and covering into your overall annual boat budget which I'd guess is already significant for that boat.

Last edited:
Last year I used Kinder Industries to make my boat cover. I think their out of R.I. too.

Very happy with their work.

When we had a 36’ GB, it came with a Fairclough cover and frame. We used it for 2 years. The expense of installation, removal and storage made no sense to us. It wasn’t easy to get the work scheduled. Finally it went to the dumpster frame and all. We used shrink wrap after that. So many folks use shrink wrap that it actually became easier to get that scheduled than it was to get the canvas installed and removed. Removing the shrink wrap only requires a box cutter.

Just to stir the pot...

And FWIW...

We have a hardtop... and a bridge enclosure which remains installed... so we don't usually cover or shrink wrap over winter. I've not seen a need for the extra effort and expense. The winter weather doesn't seem to bother the enclosure clears. And I've not had any of the occasional breakage I've read about that was caused by shrink wrapping.

It feels a bit goofy sometimes when shoveling snow out of the cockpit, but that doesn't happen all that often.

I eventually discovered the (almost complete) set of cockpit canvas that came with this current boat, so I'll probably put it up for the winter -- even though missing one of the side panels -- but I wouldn't otherwise go out of my way to save the shoveling since it's not usually required where we are.

-Chris

When we had a 36’ GB, it came with a Fairclough cover and frame. We used it for 2 years. The expense of installation, removal and storage made no sense to us. It wasn’t easy to get the work scheduled. Finally it went to the dumpster frame and all. We used shrink wrap after that. So many folks use shrink wrap that it actually became easier to get that scheduled than it was to get the canvas installed and removed. Removing the shrink wrap only requires a box cutter.

You know we did our own cover on our previous Carver 3207. 2 x 4 frame, carpet to protect the deck bearing points, zip tied to the rails on the sides and aft, similar to the video above. Giant tarp, I think it was 30' x 50', the largest commonly available, necessary given the height of the boat so the tarp draped mid-hull for the straps. Took two people, ideally three, to run the cover over the frame, and don't try it on a windy day. I made the frame like a big tinkertoy, used a Sharpie to identify the pieces, mostly bolted together with big wing nuts and bolts. I thought it would be relatively quick and easy each fall. Instead it was a significant hassle, just as you say. Assembly, disassembly, storage, checking straps (which you'd have with a custom cover too, not just my cheapskate tarp approach), making sure nothing frayed in high winds, making sure nothing was slapping or chafing in January. Making sure the frame pieces didn't crack in heavy snow. I notice the new owners are still using the setup, but the long bow strut broke and now they just cover it to the front cowling of the flybridge, not the whole bow (which leaves the bow hatch exposed to melting snow, but okay).

Live in a northern climate, there's no perfect solution, pick your poison (or cost and hassle ratio).

Last edited:
Haven't used them but these people have been around for a while and enjoy a good reputation. They have done many GBs and should be able to make the covers without coming down to measure:

Lohmann Sails & Covers
https://www.boatcovers.ca/gallery

I believe they the fabric they prefer is WeatherMax which is lighter and more chafe-resistant than Sunbrella.

Several years ago I got a quote from them for a GB42 CL for around €5k.

Haven't used them but these people have been around for a while and enjoy a good reputation. They have done many GBs and should be able to make the covers without coming down to measure:

Lohmann Sails & Covers
https://www.boatcovers.ca/gallery

I believe they the fabric they prefer is WeatherMax which is lighter and more chafe-resistant than Sunbrella.

Several years ago I got a quote from them for a GB42 CL for around €5k.

10 yrs ago or so, I got a quote from Lohmann. For my 44' he was then charging $100/ft, plus tax. Prices have risen, though I don't know by how much. His covers are everywhere here in SW BC, as they are excellent quality.
I helped a friend install one on his 60' Monk McQueen, took 2 of us under 2 hours. Neither of us had done one before.
I didn't buy. Still in a shelter. Much better, though more $.

In my younger days I always covered my sailboats myself using PVC tubing and blue cheap tarps. Back then a couple hundred bucks mattered. By the time you get to owning a GB 47, I'd think those days are behind you. Also, you hare talking about protecting a significant investment so trying to skimp on that could end up being the more expensive choice.

I used to do absolutely everything maintenance wise on our boats, but as I get older I am farming some of the work out. Waxing the boat was done by the yard this year. If I were to store it outdoors it would be shrinked by the yard. I wouldn’t want to mess with covering it up myself. Too much back trouble and arthritis.

Hi All -

Well it is time once again to think about winterizing our boat. I have been thinking about doing something other than shrink-wrapping. Inside storage is limited in RI and pretty pricey. Last year it cost around $2,400 to shrink-wrap the GB 47 Europa. So I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for someone that makes winter covers. This particular boat model with the bimini off and dinghy in the garage is pretty smooth. Probably need 2 or 3 PVC supports forward of the cabin and one support in the middle of fly bridge.

All inputs appreciated,
Bob
Our Mohican 42-104 had to give up her home in an on-the-water shed, so we decided to get her a winter coat in the San Joaquin Delta, Stockton (Pacific Boat Works) they charge me 5k and did a great job using Sunbrella, three zipper sections, with a drawstring (rope) under the rub rail, and she fits perfectly.

mWjxG9Cvun4mN8nD7

Last edited:
Self Storage / Self Cover

When I lived in Maine we always covered our own boats.

We built a frame with 2x4s that would get re-used each year, and the Black+Silver heavy duty tarps that would typically last for 2 or 3 winters. With Maine's snows we'd design the frame to have steep sides to ensure no snow would build-up on it.

Typical Winterizing: 1/2 day to winterize the engine and other systems, then 1/2 day to put the frame back up and get the cover on it.

The Black/Silver heavy duty tarps are available online... just about any size you need.

The marina would haul it and pressure wash the bottom then bring the boat to our home where I had my own blocking and jack stands.

Then I moved to Long Island NY, and everything changed. No yard, no man cave, no place to store the boat. Oh well. Now we follow the seasons north and south!

I have not used the system myself but a few boats in my yard use Kover Klamps. It looks a little involved initially to bend tubing etc but more likely cheaper than a cover and also probably doable this year.
Good Luck!

Just to stir the pot...

And FWIW...

We have a hardtop... and a bridge enclosure which remains installed... so we don't usually cover or shrink wrap over winter. I've not seen a need for the extra effort and expense. The winter weather doesn't seem to bother the enclosure clears. And I've not had any of the occasional breakage I've read about that was caused by shrink wrapping.

It feels a bit goofy sometimes when shoveling snow out of the cockpit, but that doesn't happen all that often.

I eventually discovered the (almost complete) set of cockpit canvas that came with this current boat, so I'll probably put it up for the winter -- even though missing one of the side panels -- but I wouldn't otherwise go out of my way to save the shoveling since it's not usually required where we are.

-Chris

Following up on this, I'm thinking about not covering Morning Light (42' Webbers Cove Trawler) this winter. All the windows are glass and except for the cockpit -- where I would leave the gate open -- there is no place for water to accumulate. The boat is all white and I'll leave the shades down so fading should not be a problem.

I'll cover the hypalon tender with a tarp.

What, if anything, am I missing?

Thanks,

Jim

Regardless of what material you choose to cover, this is another plug for Kover Klamps. I've been using them for years on various boats up to 35' with canvas, poly tarps and shrink wrap. It's a bit of labor initially building the frame with a pipe bender and connectors, but the frame should last forever. Here's the frame on our former Ranger Tug.
88xKBTKwUDiNRJ9r5
QGGihMywJRXjhJqF7

@mohican42… it would cool if you could snap and post a picture of your boat’s cover next time you are down there. Sounds like rather a simple (and therefore good) solution to the covering question.

Back
Top Bottom