Zipwake trim tabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adornato

Vessel Name
Sarah McLean
Vessel Make
Sabre 36 Express
We are buying a new Eastern 248 cruiser with 200 hp Yamaha outboard. Planning to have trim tabs but recently saw a thread on another forum
praising the advantages of Zipwake "automatic" trimtabs.

The Eastern is a fairly light 4000 lb cruiser with a cruise speed about 18-22 kts, with topend 30 kts.

the Zipwakes are quite expensive and just curious about others experience

Zipwake is technically a interceptor, not a trim tab. Basically does the same thing only differently.
Hydrodynamically Trim Tabs work better at slower speeds than Interceptors, other than that price, ease of installation, durability should probably be determining factors in a decision.
If you want to stay on plane at slower speeds, Trim Tabs will work better. Of the trim tab systems on the market the leader is Bennett with systems on some boats working without issues for decades. The electric Trim Tab systems like Lenco have electric motors in the actuators in the water, and may be better suited to trailer boats. Interceptors in all popular brands also have electric motors on the transom in the water.
All brands of these "Trim devices" have an "automatic" option, which for most boats in most conditions and for most operators I consider just something else to break.

Disclaimer: I am retired from the Maine Industry and at one time was Sales Manager for a Trim Tab Manufacturer

:socool:

Our boat has the Volvo Penta Interceptor which can be used either manually or auto. In auto it controls the angle of attack when coming up on plane, compensates for heel due to side wind and uneven loading and as well as keeps the boat more level in turns. On our boat it really improves the ride because of the ability of the computer to keep the boat level.

Hydrodynamically Trim Tabs work better at slower speeds...

Interesting. The trim tabs on our 38 foot semi-displacement trawler may or may not work. I am unclear as I have never used them since they were tested during our survey years ago. Frankly, I am at a loss to understand the need or benefit of trim tabs while underway. We so rarely cruise in flat water that I can't imagine being able to tell when we are a degree or two off center. What am I missing?

Attachments

• IMG_3067.jpeg
    IMG_3067.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 29
Does an outboard powered boat really need trim tabs? It seems that getting the right prop angle would do almost as good and would be more efficient than trim tabs.

David

Zipwake - a good Swedish company!!!
If you haven't found this yet, have a look and click around. Lots of explanation, examples, sizing help, videos, etc.
https://zipwake.com/

I put Zipwakes on my SD boat about 8 years ago and don't regret it. Going into it, the jury was out, as it's a questionable application on a boat that goes as slowly as my boat. I wrote more about the results here in TF:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s76/greenline-33-exterior-enhancement-discussions-53392.html

Though I have to agree with DavidM - I, too, would question whether a boat such as the one you're looking at really needs trim tabs/interceptors in the first place!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom