Boat lost in Hurricane Ian. How to cancel CG documentation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FBoykin

Vessel Name
Hannah Jane
Vessel Make
2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
My Grand Banks 42C trawler was pretty much wiped out by Hurricane Ian. Insurance surveyor declared her a total loss and I signed hull ownership over to my insurance company in late 2022.

My Coast Guard Certificate of Documentation form is up for annual renewal and I'm unsure what to do regarding the paperwork (what's new?). Doing some CG site research, it appears I can request to have the boat delisted, but the fee is $195.00! In another spot, there's information on how to handle selling the boat, but I didn't really do that.

Since my Ft. Myers marina (Legacy Harbour Marina) and many others in the area were destroyed (& their boats along with them), I'm sure other owners are in my same "boat".

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Fred Boykin

Try calling the NVDC in West Virginia and ask them. I have always found them to be very helpful.

On first thought I would say it’s your insurance companies problem. They own the boat and the documentation number stays with the boat. If they sell it they will have to transfer the documentation.

Dropping documentaion is simple.

Go to USCG NVDC site look up form and follow directions.

On first thought I would say it’s your insurance companies problem. They own the boat and the documentation number stays with the boat. If they sell it they will have to transfer the documentation.
I've only been involved with a this sort of thing once before. When selling to a buyer that is not interested in USCG DOC I believe it is the seller that needs to file to and/ cancel DOC. When I look at Delisting I see a $15 fee... a little more if satisfaction of loan / mortgage involved.
It may depend on whether you used DOC form to surrender/transfer ownership to the insurance Co.
Inquiring w USCG NVDC good advice

In another thread on one of the forums it was stated that the NVDC's processing system is down. Apparently they updated the software and ran into problems. It will get fixed eventually but don't expect it to be quick. This may also affect thier phone response, there might be a lot more calls than normal.

On the NVDC website there is a FAQ section. In there is a Deletion of Documentation button. Click on it and it gives the process.

USCG documentation includes Titling the vessel. The vessel is now in the insurance companies name.

You could pay to delist, or you could opt to simply not pay and allow it to lapse. I'd treat it like state vehicle registration renewal from State 'A' after you've already moved and registered the vehicle in State 'B'.

Short Answer: The renewal belongs in the circular filing cabinet.

Be careful with letting USCG documentation just lapse.....

I can't find the specifics, but it doesn't just go away. It might be something about a lapse in documentation and if the boat is sold, the quagmire it may create for the next owner.

That is because documentation is more like a title than a registration.

I tend to agree w/ psneeld that its best to surrender / delist the Doc / title vs just ignoring.
When I got involved previously helping a friend I think they were confused by all the Doc "Service" companies out there...
Are you sure you were on the USCG NVDC website when looking at fees?
The delisting fee I found was $15

Attachments

• Doc Fees.jpg
    Doc Fees.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 32
If you still have the old documentation, flip it over and fill out the new owner, the insurance company and send in with copies of insurance documents....plus notary.

Should be easy peezy.

Last edited:
First of all, my condolences on your loss. I was in a similar situation -- my boat was at Burnt Store Marina. Now it's in a landfill somewhere. September 28, 2022 is a day that changed a lot of people's lives.

As I understand it, USCG documentation benefits and protects the BUYER. It theoretically gives him a clean title. No liens, no undisclosed claims to ownership. That's why the BUYER pays to have his boat documented. The Seller isn't involved, and pays nothing.

When the Buyer later sells his boat, the process repeats. The NEW BUYER pays for the benefit of getting a clean title. The Seller pays nothing.

For the posters above who are recommending that the OP take the time and trouble and expense to "undocument" his former boat, my question is WHY? Why would the seller care whether the new owner (in this case the insurance company) gets a clean title? If the insurance company wants a clean title, it's their responsibility to take whatever steps are needed to do that. Not the seller's.

Bob

Hi All,

Thank you all for the comments and advice. I took the simplest approach and called them on the phone. I didn't wait too long and the rep told me to mail in the renewal form with a letter explaining what happened to the boat and they would take care of it. No charge either.

But I've found it best over the years to take care of the paperwork no matter what. It's a lot easier to get things sorted out if you do it right away before people forget about the circumstances (including me!).

Fred Boykin
Previous Grand Banks owner...

If it is up for renewal. Just don't renew. In covid I did not get the renewal form. Since I did not renew they deleted me. I had to re apply to reinstate it.

:eek:
Hi All,

Thank you all for the comments and advice. I took the simplest approach and called them on the phone. I didn't wait too long and the rep told me to mail in the renewal form with a letter explaining what happened to the boat and they would take care of it. No charge either.

But I've found it best over the years to take care of the paperwork no matter what. It's a lot easier to get things sorted out if you do it right away before people forget about the circumstances (including me!).

Fred Boykin
Previous Grand Banks owner...

Nothing wrong with this approach, it is the way I would have done it.

I bought a documented boat that had been allowed to lapse years ago and had been state titled / registered. The process to reinstate was not difficult, I just had to show a photo and rubbing of the hull number plate and provide a notarized bill of sale. The most difficult part was getting a rubbing of the hull number.

Be careful with letting USCG documentation just lapse.....

I can't find the specifics, but it doesn't just go away. It might be something about a lapse in documentation and if the boat is sold, the quagmire it may create for the next owner.

That is because documentation is more like a title than a registration.

Yes, it's absolutely a title and has nothing to do with registration. I was making an analogous comparison, not a literal one.

My response was specifically related to the fact that the vessel was totaled.

I suppose you could ask the insurance company if they want the documentation transferred to them. However, I certainly wouldn't be renewing documentation for a vessel that was totaled that I no longer legally own.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom