Fuel tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Randomwake

Vessel Name
Random wake
Vessel Make
76’ CHB 34’ tricabin
I have a CHB 34. With a single engine 120 hp Ford Lehman. I got some water in the fuel tanks a few years ago and the problems seem to persist wondering if there’s any flushing techniques for getting some of the algae and rust debris out of the old fuel tanks, I think there’s some fuel lines that are plugged which causes suction and then I’m getting air drawn in somewhere maybe through the fuel filters or other fittings. Which causes the injection to periodically air lock.

We’ve have had friends that have hired fuel polishing companies with good success. Diesel backup generators, for most facilities use a fuel polishing company as part of their support plans so they should be around.

You can build your own fuel polishing system. Fuel pump, filter, timer, return manifold if you have more then one tank.

DIY fuel polishing

Attachments

• IMG_5682.jpeg
    IMG_5682.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 13
Regular use of a good fuel conditioner will eliminate algae and water in the tanks. I use one every fill up and never had fuel problems in 60+ years. Although most of those years the fuel was better than today.
A conditioner will help Racor type filters remove water easier, increase cetane rating, add lubricity for fuel system components, etc.

I have a CHB 34. With a single engine 120 hp Ford Lehman. I got some water in the fuel tanks a few years ago and the problems seem to persist wondering if there’s any flushing techniques for getting some of the algae and rust debris out of the old fuel tanks, I think there’s some fuel lines that are plugged which causes suction and then I’m getting air drawn in somewhere maybe through the fuel filters or other fittings. Which causes the injection to periodically air lock.
The only way to get all the crap out is to open the tanks and clean them. Polishing will only clean the fuel that is picked up so the gunk in the corners will just stay there until the least opportune moment then break loose and clog something up.

Yes, put in some access ports then physically scrape the crap out. Use plastic tools to do the scraping.

I have cleaned sludge from tanks with fuel additives and circulation alone. My current boat was built in 1942 as were her main tanks. She sat 6 years with little care. I used a 3x dose of Algae-X and circulated using the running engines and Racor filters. The twin Detroit naturals flow 70 gallons/ hour, so no additional pump or filters. It was 2 years before I could take out the galley and get to the tank tops. There were no access ports so I put them in. So I know nobody has been in the tanks before me for 70 years. There had to be a buildup in that time. Tanks are about 5'5" high so I could walk around. Anyhow, 2 years later there was there was no sign of sludge or water.
And I've achieved the same results in other boats and for other people with other fuel conditioners.

Back
Top Bottom