Liveaboard Recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharked

Veteran Member
We are looking to start actively looking for our future liveaboard boat, and would appreciate any recommendations from those that are more knowledgeable and experienced.

About us:
Married couple, planning to retire in less than 5 years. Our plan is to buy a boat (most likely in Florida or east coast) and take her to Bahamas where we will spend 6 months or so of the year once retired.

We have 20 years boating experience on inland lakes, with our largest boat so far being a 30ft Searay. This boat is good for weekends, but its not suitable for liveaboard, its basically camping on the water.

We are looking to purchase this year, while we are still working, the reasoning is that we assume whatever boat we decide on will need some repairs, or updates, most likely outdated electronics, etc. We want to do this while we still have salaries, our combined gross income is currently $215,000 CAD per year.

Pre-COVID our budget was around $500,000 USD, to purchase our boat however given our portfolio has taken a beating, and the current housing market, I would like to try to find something this year less than $250K USD.
I could go up to $300K USD if the boat required very little repairs/updates.

We are looking mostly in the 45-55 feet range, although if the perfect boat comes along that happens to be a few feet shorter or longer we would certainly consider it.

Since this will be our home, and we hope to be anchored most of the time, only booking into marinas when absolutely necessary we are looking for a stable, comfortable boat, both when crossing the gulfstream and when at anchor. I am not sure if this means we must have stabilizers, or if certain brands/models are more stable then others even without stabilizers?

Must have list so far:
- separate shower (she does not want a wet head)
- normal size bed with entry from both sides (min. queen)
- fly bridge
- diesel engines
- air conditioning / generator
- storage space, both lazarette and interior

Nice to have:
- hard top on flybridge (future solar)
- watermaker (if it doesn't have, we will be adding)
- washer/dryer (if it doesn't have, we will be adding)
- large fridge/freezer or space to add 2nd chest freezer

Things we do not want:
- ladder down to the swim platform (this eliminates most aft-cabin models)
- outside wood (I don't want to be stripping or vanishing wood)

We are open to many styles of trawlers, cruisers, sportfish, convertibles, and considering both displacement and semi-displacement. I think having the option to go fast if required would make my wife happier, instead of spending longer time in bad weather.

Would really appreciate any advise of models/years to consider, and any to stay away from?

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. S. Small point but to keep your OHIP coverage you can't spend more than 6 months out of the country in a one year period.

Greetings,
Mr. S. Small point but to keep your OHIP coverage you can't spend more than 6 months out of the country in a one year period.

Yes I am aware, you can get an exemption for a longer period, but I think its a one time thing.

Come to Florida for a week or 2 for a dock walk(s) over the winter (or next). This time of year is not a bad time to get out of Toronto. :D

You can find everything on your want/must lists in a 40’ trawler. A Mainship 400 comes to mind. Cost of ownership is approximately proportional to length.

David

My first suggestion is to look at a Bayliner 4588. You might decide these boats are too old and you might step up to the 4788 or the Meridian 490. It does give you one of the most economical starting points.

This is the boat I have lived on for several years, and have cruised from Alaska to Mexico.

Bayliner 4788 or Meridian 490 same basic boat.

It checks every box you are looking for.

Two or three staterooms, (you can convert without professional assistance inn a couple of hours)

Two heads with separate showers, and the master even has a tub.
Semi walk around queen
Large galley with big fridge
Large salon with sectional, and room for a recliner or even two.
HUGE pilothouse
huge flybridge with boat deck
Crane for your skiff
generator that is easy to service
easy install watermaker location
easy access with salon on same level as the cockpit, swimstep, galley
Minimal stairs with a maximum three stairs in any direction from the salon.
No ladders necessary anywhere
Mine has all four sides engine access for both engines
seperate utility room
enough fuel for a safe 600 NM range
200 gal water in two tanks

The 4788 Bayliner is I believe the most popular 45-50' boat ever made in terms of numbers produced and the later models have all of the benefits resulting from a very long production run and a builder with a full on engineering department.

Attachments

• IMG_6533.jpg
    IMG_6533.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7144.jpg
    IMG_7144.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 34
Clearly I am biased but a Hatteras 48LRC should be in your list. Not too many around for sale but hard to get this combination of cruising range, comfort and ultra reliable/solid build. Also parts are readily available and it is an easy boat for an owner to maintain. Downsides would be smallish cockpit. I have the even rarer still 3 cabin version with Ford Lehmans. Most are 2 cabin with Detroit engines. Both are nice boats.

We are looking to start actively looking for our future liveaboard boat, and would appreciate any recommendations from those that are more knowledgeable and experienced.

About us:
Married couple, planning to retire in less than 5 years. Our plan is to buy a boat (most likely in Florida or east coast) and take her to Bahamas where we will spend 6 months or so of the year once retired.

We have 20 years boating experience on inland lakes, with our largest boat so far being a 30ft Searay. This boat is good for weekends, but its not suitable for liveaboard, its basically camping on the water.

We are looking to purchase this year, while we are still working, the reasoning is that we assume whatever boat we decide on will need some repairs, or updates, most likely outdated electronics, etc. We want to do this while we still have salaries, our combined gross income is currently $215,000 CAD per year.

Pre-COVID our budget was around $500,000 USD, to purchase our boat however given our portfolio has taken a beating, and the current housing market, I would like to try to find something this year less than $250K USD.

We are looking mostly in the 45-55 feet range, although if the perfect boat comes along that happens to be a few feet shorter or longer we would certainly consider it.

Since this will be our home, and we hope to be anchored most of the time, only booking into marinas when absolutely necessary we are looking for a stable, comfortable boat, both when crossing the gulfstream and when at anchor. I am not sure if this means we must have stabilizers, or if certain brands/models are more stable then others even without stabilizers?

Must have list so far:
- fly bridge
- diesel engines

Nice to have:

Things we do not want:

We are open to many styles of trawlers, cruisers, sportfish, convertibles, and considering both displacement and semi-displacement. I think having the option to go fast if required would make my wife happier, instead of spending longer time in bad weather.

Would really appreciate any advise of models/years to consider, and any to stay away from?

Here you go......

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2004-endeavour-catamaran-44-8993342/

I have a 2004 GH 37 I might be thinking of selling or leasing. Well maintained and fully updated with brand new late 2021 Yanmars and transmissions as well as a bilge rerig. Motors have 50 hours on them as of now . Only thing it doesn’t have on your list is a fly bridge.

Attachments

• IMG_4264.jpeg
    IMG_4264.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3958.jpg
    IMG_3958.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Resized_Resized_20230407_180958(2).jpg
    Resized_Resized_20230407_180958(2).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Anyone living in Bahama's on a Silverton, Merdian or other brand of "express crusier/sedan" boat?

About us:

Must have list so far:
- fly bridge
- diesel engines

Nice to have:

Things we do not want:

Hello - Please check out the perfect liveaboard now for sale.

Boat is in good condition and extra wide for a 41' boat at 15'. Very comfortable.
https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/y...996-San-Pedro-California/9156974?currency=USD
Thanks,
Paul Hamilton
949 290 0400

Anyone living in Bahama's on a Silverton, Merdian or other brand of "express crusier/sedan" boat?

Exact same weather in La Paz Baja Mexico 23 degrtees n lattitude. living on my Bayliner 4788

Hello - Please check out the perfect liveaboard now for sale.

May be on the wrong coast.

Similar to Real Estate, one of the important features of a yacht would be location.

Last edited:
1. Don't write off aft cabin with aft cockpit configurations.

2. Look for fresh water Great Lakes boats.

Is there a specific model you would recommend?

We lived aboard a 440 Ocean Alexander for 5-6 months every year for 17 years. Sold it last May and miss it dearly. The cockpit is a must for an aft cabin boat, as many docks are of the floating variety. Step off the dock onto the swim platform and then immediately into the safety of the enclosed cockpit. No way would I own an aft cabin boat without a cockpit. Actually, no way would I own any configuration for live aboard other than ACMY with cockpit. Yes a few stairs to maneuver, but the space utilization can't be beat.

You want outside space if you're going to live on the dang thing. When the water bugs are out, you're above the swarms up on the sundeck. You're also above the dead air if in a slip with boats parked either side...always a nice breeze.

Not many OA 44/46 ACMY hulls around on the east coast. If you can afford the slip fees for that 55 Californian linked just above...jump at it.

Last edited:
Recommend Nordic or American tug. 37' will do. I would secure moorage BEFORE you buy the boat.

Another recommendation

We cruise with our MAINSHIP 47 and it checks all of your boxes.

What boat did you end up buying? Im new to cruising myself and all help is appreciated. Thanks

GC

Clearly I am biased but a Hatteras 48LRC should be in your list. Not too many around for sale but hard to get this combination of cruising range, comfort and ultra reliable/solid build. Also parts are readily available and it is an easy boat for an owner to maintain. Downsides would be smallish cockpit. I have the even rarer still 3 cabin version with Ford Lehmans. Most are 2 cabin with Detroit engines. Both are nice boats.

Doubling up on the Hatteras. My wife and I bought a 1986 54' MY and were aboard 2 years. Pretty easy access to major systems, surprisingly easy handling despite no bow thruster. Big enough to give us space- 3 staterooms. Dry heads- toilet in v-berth head was disconnected. Overall very comfortable living space wise, and as an older boat we were in the 100-150K process range. Although the boat was destroyed by Hurricane Ian in 2022, the same could be said of almost every other boat in our marina. I'd be more than glad to offer any help I could, we are still in Ft Myers FL.

About us:

Must have list so far:
- fly bridge
- diesel engines

Nice to have:

Things we do not want:

This listing seems to meet your requirements:
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1989-bayliner-4588-motoryacht-8994954/

My wife looked at this boat in November and described it as better than in the listing photos . Price has dropped 20 k since she viewed it with broker ( there was however no indication from him a major price reduction was imminent)

Not Bahamas, and not as long as your intended stays, but we lived on board our previous 42C for 3-1/2 months in Charleston one winter, then again for about 4 months in Jacksonville. Easy. A bud who also had a 42C routinely spent winters aboard, at least once near Ft. Myers.

FWIW, there's a Meridian 441 docked here in Charleston where we are now (again) and it looks to me to be about the same size as the Silverton 42 (which is actually 46').

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom