New Helmsman model - 38 Sedan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Change thread title? New Helmsman 43 Sedan

I was doing my routine perusal of Yachtworld yesterday, and discovered that Waterline Boats has posted a listing for for a 2023 Helmsman 43 Sedan. I am assuming this is one and the same vessel as we are discussing here - an extended version of the 37 Sedan? (While I can’t speak to the actual relationship, It’s my understanding Waterline Boats LLC is the PNW dealer for Helmsman Trawlers). Interestingly, the Helmsman Website has not yet been updated.

There are only a handful of exterior renderings, but she is quite attractive. If this is in fact the official nomenclature for this extended sedan, may be a good idea to have a moderator change the thread title to properly reflect this, and also facilitate future searches.

Waterline is the brokerage side of the business.
Helmsman is the new boat side of the business.

A 43 Sedan is news, and it’s a different boat than the 38 Sedan. A layout and interior renderings would be great to see.

There are only a handful of exterior renderings, but she is quite attractive. If this is in fact the official nomenclature for this extended sedan, may be a good idea to have a moderator change the thread title to properly reflect this, and also facilitate future searches.

The title is correct. It was posted by the buyer of Hull #1 of the 38 Sedan. Scott Helker announced the new model at the Helmsman Trawlers Rendezvous in May. The Yacht World listing is for a 43 Sedan is something entirely new. Neither the 38 or the 43 are currently on the Helmsman website. Lots of exciting new designs in the works.

The title is correct. It was posted by the buyer of Hull #1 of the 38 Sedan. Scott Helker announced the new model at the Helmsman Trawlers Rendezvous in May. The Yacht World listing is for a 43 Sedan is something entirely new. Neither the 38 or the 43 are currently on the Helmsman website. Lots of exciting new designs in the works.

I wasn’t sure if the marketing side was “up scaling” the name of the new Sedan like many manufacturers. (Much like the Mainship 350/390 ;) ) Regardless, all very interesting and good news. Thanks

I’m liking these boats. Keep buying them! My hope is to find a gently used, exceptionally maintained boat in the PNW in a couple years to commence the “Big U”, and then live the Great loop/Caribbean cruising grounds until I age out. :dance: A Helmsman Trawler is tops on my short list.

I wasn’t sure if the marketing side was “up scaling” the name of the new Sedan like many manufacturers. (Much like the Mainship 350/390 ;) ) Regardless, all very interesting and good news. Thanks

I can't comment on 'up scaling' of the name (though it's been very amusing to see the Nordic 37 become the Nordic 39 and now the Nordic 40, all without any changes in the hull structure that I'm aware of).

The 38 Sedan has the hull above the waterline, and cabin structure, both extended by 2'3" over the 37 Sedan.

“The 38 Sedan has the hull above the waterline, and cabin structure, both extended by 2'3" over the 37 Sedan.”

I assumed that in the change, the 38 pilot house hull was used. Not so?

“The 38 Sedan has the hull above the waterline, and cabin structure, both extended by 2'3" over the 37 Sedan.”

I assumed that in the change, the 38 pilot house hull was used. Not so?

Of course I'm not speaking for the company (since I don't work for them) and I don't know all the exact details. My understanding is that the 38 Pilot House and the 37 Sedan always used the same hull mold. The hulls were identical from the waterline down, but on the previous 37 Sedan the hull above the waterline was blocked off 2'3" forward, giving the boat essentially a sort of 'hull extension' or molded in swim platform.

To create the 38 Sedan this blanking off was eliminated, extending the above waterline hull all the way to the aft end - and now making the hull exactly identical to the 38 Pilot House. The 38 Sedan now uses a bolted-on swim platform like the 38 Pilot House. With 2'3" more usable hull space, the cabin was able to also be extended 2'3".

New Layout

Nick, congratulations on the new build 38. Reading over your posts I can see your decision-making process and applaud the single (larger) stateroom based on you and your wife being aboard alone most of the time. I also understand the desire for walk around decks and the advantages they offer. A few points you may be interested in considering is that even with the large beam on the H38 you will give up some interior space in the salon. Have you thought about an A-Symmetrical layout where you have one side deck? A few trawler builders such as Nordhavn and Selene offer this option providing the best of both worlds. Not sure if Scott can accommodate this since it would be a major change to the tooling but possibly worth a look.

Second is the salon layout - you may want to look at some photos of our boat H38E hull #1 where we designed the salon layout similar to what you are looking to do. The L shape sofa works great when you add in one or two ottomans as fillers resulting in a large area to layout and even accommodate an overnight guest. You can find our posts on TF.

Not sure what you are thinking about related to refrigeration but the under counter works fine except for bending down. If you can fit an upright refrigerator / freezer someplace you may find it more accommodating. This was the only issue my wife had with our boat.

We fit a 10' rowing boat across the aft deck, and it fit fine. Could not go much longer. We used foam filled portable cradles (not hard points or drilling) that also worked great and left the area free of hardware when the boat was in the water. Best of luck.

John T

Nick, congratulations on the new build 38.

Thank you very much John! :Thanx:

Have you thought about an A-Symmetrical layout where you have one side deck?

We looked at some boats that had an asymmetrical deck layout. It certainly does add interior room. I'm fanatical about walk-around easy deck access. Ever since destroying my knee on a boat with very narrow side decks, it's become a must-have for me (I only have one half-way decent knee left). Since it's only the two of us that ever cruise, a little less interior space is a worthwhile trade-off for me in exchange for easy all-around deck access (especially with the additional room of the lengthened cabin).

Second is the salon layout - you may want to add in one or two ottomans as fillers

Great idea! We have a second, straight settee on the starboard side which provides built-in additional seating. Between the two settees, it should comfortably seat 6 in the salon (maybe 8 if they're friendly, but we're unlikely to ever have more than one couple aboard as short-term visitors).

If you can fit an upright refrigerator / freezer someplace you may find it more accommodating.

I agree, and would also prefer an upright fridge/freezer, for the reasons you mentioned (arthritis in the lower back is a major pain)(pun intended). Scott wasn't a big fan of upright units, I suspect because it would block window space.

We fit a 10' rowing boat across the aft deck, and it fit fine. Could not go much longer. We used foam filled portable cradles (not hard points or drilling) that also worked great and left the area free of hardware when the boat was in the water. Best of luck.

John T

I'm thinking of a Whaly 310, 10'2" LOA. We're getting an electric crane mounted to starboard; I think the dinghy will stow lengthwise to port. Great idea to use a foam cradle. I'm not a fan of drilling holes in the deck, and will follow your lead.

Thanks again! :)

I'm thinking of a Whaly 310, 10'2" LOA. We're getting an electric crane mounted to starboard; I think the dinghy will stow lengthwise to port. Great idea to use a foam cradle. I'm not a fan of drilling holes in the deck, and will follow your lead.
:)

We have ordered a Whaly 370 with console. That's 12'2". I got an upper deck layout for the 38 and it looks like 12'6" might be accommodated, but we got the dip-down stern railing on the upper deck in case the outboard makes the length difficult to deal with. We are probably getting the same crane as you are, 700# rating. The 370 with a 20hp will be around 500#.

Cheers, and Happy Easter,
Ric

Thanks again! :)

Hi Nick,

We went the foam cradle route on our North Pacific 45. It holds an AB AL Lamina, 10' 6" with a 20 HP Tohatsu.

The cradles fit in the fly bridge seat lockers. Nothing to stub a toe on.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2480.jpg
    IMG_2480.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2481.jpg
    IMG_2481.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
We did the same on ours. Soft chocks. Love ‘em. Added a couple of eyelets to hold down dinghy.

How much weight will those chocks take? But more importantly: how do you secure the chocks and dinghy in a seaway?
Ric

How much weight will those chocks take? But more importantly: how do you secure the chocks and dinghy in a seaway?
Ric

Ric,

I don't remember the weight they will support but it is either listed on the website or I got it by email. We were well within the limits with an AB 10 AL Lamina 128#, 20 HP Tohatsu 95#, three gallon gas tank, anchor, oars, life jackets, etc.

The dinghy is held down by three folding padeyes. The backing plates are 1/2" G10. The photos are not the best but give the idea.

I cut access holes into the overhead in the cockpit, removed the core, epoxied up the G10, then installed the folding padeyes. The bow hold down is a turnbuckle from a previous boat. The two stern ss ratchet straps are from US Cargo Control.

To cover the access holes in the cockpit I used Corian left over from a long ago home project. Held in place with Phenoseal caulk.

1. Holes drilled core removed
2. G10 epoxied, drilled and padeye installed.
3. View of folding padeye from top.
4. Ratchet strap at stern, outboard lower unit rests on boat chshion
5. Turnbuckle at bow.

Rob

Attachments

• Core Removed.jpg
    Core Removed.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1734.jpg
    IMG_1734.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1731.jpg
    IMG_1731.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1730.jpg
    IMG_1730.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1732.jpg
    IMG_1732.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Forgot the shot of the Corian covers.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2479.jpg
    IMG_2479.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 43
After a long wait, my Helmsman 38 Sedan (hull #1) is getting closer. The boat is finished and in the process of being loaded onto the transport ship. Delivery should happen sometime late October-ish (maybe early November, depending on the extent of delays at the Panama Canal).

A sneak preview photo, just of the exterior:

Attachments

• Completed 1 ext profile.jpg
    Completed 1 ext profile.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 58
After a long wait, my Helmsman 38 Sedan (hull #1) is getting closer. The boat is finished and in the process of being loaded onto the transport ship. Delivery should happen sometime late October-ish (maybe early November, depending on the extent of delays at the Panama Canal).

Another beautiful Helmsman design. Congratulations!

Another beautiful Helmsman design. Congratulations!

Thank you! Congratulations to you on the first 46! We're each blazing a trail with the first of a model!

Everyone loves their boat best of all and we're all naturally biased. But I especially like the lines of the 38 Sedan (big surprise, that's why I bought it).

Looks terrific

When doing a stretch, getting the windows right and the curve of the cap rail right can be tricky. That looks just right.

Congrats

Like it. Clean lines and the hull color fits the design.

Damn! That is a great looking boat! The anticipation must be brutal, but it will all be worth it.

Looks terrific

When doing a stretch, getting the windows right and the curve of the cap rail right can be tricky. That looks just right.

Congrats

Like it. Clean lines and the hull color fits the design.

Damn! That is a great looking boat! The anticipation must be brutal, but it will all be worth it.

Thank you! :Thanx:

Some stretches look like, a stretch. A 2'3" extension took some thought to make look good, and more importantly, to work.

I'm very happy with how the lines came out. I think it looks even better than the 37 Sedan on which it's based. The length and beam look more proportional to my eyes.

:lol: Yes, the waiting was very hard. At my age the time remaining to go boating is limited, and precious.

We’re still not sure when delivery of our 38E will take place. Originally scheduled for May 2023(original contract signed December 2021). We were recently told early December 2023 but based on pictures from the factory there’s no way of meeting that schedule. We’re obviously excited about the boat but are becoming increasingly more frustrated. Any suggestions, recommendations and/or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated…thanks

We’re still not sure when delivery of our 38E will take place. Originally scheduled for May 2023(original contract signed December 2021). We were recently told early December 2023 but based on pictures from the factory there’s no way of meeting that schedule. We’re obviously excited about the boat but are becoming increasingly more frustrated. Any suggestions, recommendations and/or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated…thanks

G2squared: Sorry to hear about the delay. I’m in the same situation. My PO was signed in June 2022 for a May 2023 completion, which I acknowledged was a very optimistic build schedule. Two delays and now a November 2023 completion. Since mine is Hull #1 of the 46 series I don’t mind too much since I expect a well finished and excellent quality trawler. I’m looking forward to a beautiful Christmas present!! Helmsman’s factory is being pushed to the limit with the popularity of their 38’s and 43’s.

Just when you think there is no way, things will begin to happen.

From someone who has been there, seen that.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1182260&postcount=14

Having waited seventeen months from contract signing to completion and an additional four months due to an error by the shipping company, I can feel your anxiety. Having just docked our 38E after a beautiful fall day on the water, I can assure you that the experience of owning a Helmsman is worth the wait. Keep in mind that it’s a Helmsman you are waiting for, not a production boat.

Yep, it is worth the wait. You are on the downhill slope now. We really enjoyed the boat this summer. In Knoxville Tn at the upper reaches of the Tennessee River for a month finding out of the way fall colors from the water.

My 2024 Helmsman 38 Sedan (hull #01) has arrived stateside. It was offloaded in Norfolk VA this week. I'll shortly be meeting it in person.

Here are a couple of pics of the delivery in process (interesting comparison with the size of the container ship that brought it over, the APL Quingdao) -

Attachments

• IMG_0727.jpg
    IMG_0727.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom