New VHF antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MTW

Vessel Name
Mike Tango Whiskey
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 456+3
Good Morning, I currently have 2 8' fiberglass VHF antennas (Shakespear I think). The paint or exterior finish is worn off and you can get fiberglass splinters from them. I didn't realize how many different options there are and don't quite understand what the difference is between a $70 and a $700 antenna. Please advise. Thanks

My best advice would be..... Do research on how antennas work. It can get complicated but anything you can get out of it would be a plus in buying one.

I look for at the cable for footage and and how the connector to the VHF is attached. Plus the db spec on each antenna I am looking at. The higher the db the general for the better.

If the antennas work fine, they can be painted pretty easily to stop the splintering for a few more years.

The difference in pricing is all about the guts, the build materials, type of mounts, finishes and performance.

I am curious where you saw a $700 8' VHF antenna?

Last edited:
If the antennas work fine, they can be painted pretty easily to stop the splintering for a few more years.

The difference in pricing is all about the guts, the build materials, type of mounts, finishes and performance.

I am curious where you saw a $700 8' VHF antenna?

I repainted several antennas on my charter boat. Only caution is to make sure there is no metal in the paint.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom