No Foreign Land (NFL) App

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Interesting App (Android or iPhone) I started using a month ago at suggestion of a fellow cruiser. No Foreign Land (NFL). It shows boat location as reported by the owner and includes local information similar to Active Captain. In the Caribbean, they have a link to CSSN security/Piracy database.

Someone on the Panama Posse started a sub-liet of folks on this years PP which is handy as it's easier to track the various boats. I would think w sub-list for current year PNW, Bahamas, or Loop would also be interesting.

No affiliation beyond a user. Attached screenshot of Weebles data is a sample (albeit not great). Also a screenshot of display of another boat anchored 50 nms west of us. Also, a zoom-out view of Florida and Bahamas; and another of PNW (you can see icons for anchorages, fuel, etc.). Tons of boats there. You don't have to share boat data if you prefer not to but can still see first hand info on anchorages and land based sights. App is a bit unstable - I have to relaunch periodically. Not a huge issue but minor annoyance.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noforeignland

Peter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240306_051808.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_051808.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20240306_051733.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_051733.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20240306_052630.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_052630.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20240306_053532.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_053532.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I’ve been using the app/website for the past 2+ years. The app/website is very sailor centric. I created a group for trawler cruisers but after 2 years there are only 7 members. Maybe we can convince other cruising trawlers to use. Seems trawlers are using Nebo.

Ooops - I just searched and didn't find the Trawler one (I searched "Power"). I have joined, but I inadvertantly added a "Power Cruising - Voyaging under Power" group. I'll see if I can delete it so it doesn't divide members.

Here's the link to join the NFL Trawler group -

https://www.noforeignland.com/group/5092541005299712?sid=6347214253195264&tc=1709736166230

Also, I'll post it to the Panama Posse group and to Cruisers Forum to see if we can generate some additional interest. Power of a network.....

Peter

Greetings,
Keep in mind if you're broadcasting your location, the "bad guys" know where you are, as well. IF they know you're 50 miles offshore you may become a target...

Greetings,
Keep in mind if you're broadcasting your location, the "bad guys" know where you are, as well. IF they know you're 50 miles offshore you may become a target...

True, if cruising in dangerous places it’s easy enough to turn off real time tracking and spool your track and delay the uploading. No different than disengaging AIS.

Ooops - I just searched and didn't find the Trawler one (I searched "Power"). I have joined, but I inadvertantly added a "Power Cruising - Voyaging under Power" group. I'll see if I can delete it so it doesn't divide members.

Here's the link to join the NFL Trawler group -

https://www.noforeignland.com/group/5092541005299712?sid=6347214253195264&tc=1709736166230

Also, I'll post it to the Panama Posse group and to Cruisers Forum to see if we can generate some additional interest. Power of a network.....

Peter

Thanks for spreading the word, we are up to 9 members.? From looking at the various groups it seems the most active are those dedicated to a particular geographic location. I guess this makes sense as it provides a forum for users to ask location specific questions on anchoring, provisioning, customs, immigrations, etc.

Greetings,

Almost all cruisers these days are broadcasting AISB/B+ position updates. I can't imagine Bad Actors using an App like NoForeignLand but ignoring AIS feeds.

A couple weeks ago we were hailed by a northbound catamaran and chatted for a couple minites. On NFL I saw that he'd started in South Africa a few years ago and had been to several dozen countries. At least for the cruising we're doing now, it's sort of handy to be able to identify other like-minded boats. I would think the Loop or PNW would similarly enjoy identifying folks with broadly similar itineraries.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom