Northern Loop this spring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slainte 1

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Slainte
Vessel Make
Krogen Express 49
Hi all,
My wife and I will be starting quite and adventure on our newly purchased, 1999 Krogen 49 Express trawler this spring. The boat is being somewhat refit at Bay Marine in Sturgeon Bay where we'll be starting from. Hopefully we will be able to leave around the end of April, first part of May for a journey back to the Maine coast where we live; Boothbay Harbor area.

The thought has been to take the northern route over to the Trent Sevren - down to Lake Ontario, cross over to the Oswego Canal to the Erie Canal, over to the Hudson to NY city then up the inside of Long Island and back to Maine......

We'd love to caravan with any other folks thinking of doing a similar trip. The more the merrier! Although new to this boat, we are fairly experienced boaters, myself being ex-Coast Guard.

So let us know if you're at all interested so we can talk more about this adventure! Hope to hear from some of you!!

Best and Happy New Year to all

John Bryer and Tacy Trippe
Wiscasset, ME

Sounds awesome. Have you thought about extending that loop by taking the Trent Severn to Georgian Bay and North Channel, then down Lake Huron to the St. Clair River to the Detroit River and across Lake Erie to enter the Erie Canal at Tonawanda?

Keep an eye on the Kirkfield bucket Lock on the Trent Severn. It broke this summer and should be back in action for 2023. But if not, there could be significant delays.

Ted

Hi guys,
Yes, we did think about the T/S Waterway however some of the locals out there thought the first week in May might be a bit too early to go that route - weather might not be so good and there could be high water which has its own problems.

I just heard about the Kirkfield lock problem - someone in that thread said they spoke with an engineer at the lock who thought it would be back in operation by spring!

I think we will probably just plan both routes out over this winter and see what the spring brings us.......still would love company along this trip so maybe that will happen as well......

Anyway guys, happy New Year and will see you on the water!!

John

John
As I said before May is early for TSW. I thinkntheir normal opening is around the 3rd week in May and that is with reduced staff and oper hours. Something to think about is any Wx considerations will be minor on TSW compared to open water great lakes.
The TSW is a wonderful experience if you can delay your start date a bit.
I added a page of cruising tips & notes for NY Canals to my Bacchus website.

Thanks Don - we are still really thinking about that! The problem may be that it puts us back in Maine later than we wanted. We want to go through NY City as our 2 boys are there - thinking they might train up to Albany for a nice trip down to the city!

The planning continues!!

Thanks and Happy New Year
Stay in touch!

John

Thanks Don - we are still really thinking about that! The problem may be that it puts us back in Maine later than we wanted.
John
You do understand that the wording you have consistently used is a flat out admission of not wanting a job. The minute that you have set a schedule to be somewhere bringing the boat back becomes a job. You have not used the words "I have to be back".
Change your wording to "I want to be back to Maine to enjoy some of the summer" and watch what it does to you planning and stress level in planning.

I was planning on going backwards loop up the Tenn-Tom to Lake Michigan where we were going to spend the summer in the upper Great Lakes. Some pencil neck put a date of June 1 to be through the locks to Joliet and whamo, The trip suddenly feels like a frigin job with a deadline. Too damned scary.
That has me thinking of going the ICW and that route is 1,000 miles further and will get me back late and I likely would not go to the Northern Lakes until the following summer. The plan is to winter next year in heated storage near out home for some work and further repairs.

Job

LOL Pierre - you are correct!! We don't want to have a set schedule OR the stress that goes with it......so......we will continue to plan out our options!

Thanks and hope you make it up to the GL's area for that great summer!!

Further LOL - my wife is an old English major and caught it right away after she read it!

Take care and Happy New Year!

John

Greetings,
Mr. S. Aside from your faux pas of insinuating a schedule, may I be so bold as to say you've put your foot in it AGAIN! Your wife is NOT an old English Major. Better to say she majored in colloquial English OR majored in early English. NEVER old...Just sayin'

iu

The real attraction of cruising is the fact that you can enjoy being fully retired yet not be fully retired. Schedule wise you can be fully retired and not be bound by anything yet the boat itself, is a real job.
Yes, we bought a job not to have a job and still feel useful and connected. Such is the human condition. That is the reason that Artificial Intelligence is so scary. AI will surely eliminate us for such inferior logical nonsense.

OMG......I"m on the floor!!
My size 14's are starting to bother my teeth!!!
Won't be the last time I'm sure!!
I'm NOT showing my wife this one!!

Later

May 1 is very early for departure. Spring comes late to Door County and the North Channel. I've done a couple of trips between Chicago and Georgian Bay in late May, and in most stops was the first transient of the season. It can be cold and nasty, and there are a couple of exposed segments that may require waiting for weather windows.

I'm not trying to discourage an early departure, but give yourself lots of time. Also give some thought to cold water safety and survival. You'll be alone on the water most of the time.

I'd expect the TS to open on schedule. 2022 was a very bad year. Even under reduced hours you can normally get through in a week or so. It's a great trip through the North Channel and down into Georgian Bay. You can decide when you get close whether to go through the waterway or go out of Georgian Bay and head down to Buffalo.

I think I'll be heading east in May from Toronto, heading for Nova Scotia via Maine. Likely ahead of you, but maybe our schedule will coincide.

Sounds like a great trip.
The biggest mistake I see people making is skipping over Narragansett Bay. You could take a month to fully explore the bay. Everyone stops in Newport then heads to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket but venturing up the bay will bring you to other marvelous destinations such as Wickford, East Greenwich, Providence, Bristol, and Fall River. All have great marinas with restaurants / bars within walking distance. Fall River has battleship cove / marine museum with many bars / restaurants/ live music on the waterfront and is often skipped.
If you find yourself in the bay next summer or fall, send me a message and I buy you a beer if I'm in the area.

I have done the southern loop (non-Canadian) from Manitowoc to Charleston across the Erie Canal. When do you plan to go?

When I bought my trawler south of Chicago and brought it up to Green Bay in early May I was often the only boat on the lake. Most marinas did not have their docks in or water and electric available. Ice was not a problem but it was often very cold. I suspect Lake Superior would be worse, maybe find some ice even.

If I were you, I would wait at least until June.

pete

Port Washington Marina opens April 1st. Not sure about the rest of them. I am running up from the Mississippi through Chicago out on the Lake in early May. Stopping in Racine for decking, RIB and transom art. Should be just fine if you watch the weather!

Hi guys,
Yes, we did think about the T/S Waterway however some of the locals out there thought the first week in May might be a bit too early to go that route - weather might not be so good and there could be high water which has its own problems.

I just heard about the Kirkfield lock problem - someone in that thread said they spoke with an engineer at the lock who thought it would be back in operation by spring!

I think we will probably just plan both routes out over this winter and see what the spring brings us.......still would love company along this trip so maybe that will happen as well......

Anyway guys, happy New Year and will see you on the water!!

John
None of Parks Canada Canals and parks are open untill Canadian Victoria Day, and then only 10-4

Small Boat Route Eastern Georgian Bay

Any opinions out there about taking our 50' boat with 4'6" draft through the small boat channel when heading SE from Killarney towards Severn and the TSW. We would be there this spring 1st part of June.

Thanks

I dont believe there are any issues w the Inland Small Craft Route. We are about 3 ft 6 in draft and never gave it.much thought. A lower wayer year might change things. Worth a check.but I believe the lakes are still high. We didnt go as far N as Killar.ney but did go N of Parry Sound. The large tour boats fo the south channel out.of Parry Sound. Some sections you need to issue a Securite to make sure.no approaching boats but due to.width not depth.

Any opinions out there about taking our 50' boat with 4'6" draft through the small boat channel when heading SE from Killarney towards Severn and the TSW. We would be there this spring 1st part of June.

Thanks
There are a couple of tight spots, but it's a great trip. I like the passage behind Philip Edward Island to Beaverstone Bay heading south from Killarney.

Bad River is a great spot to stop over. Just south of there you can follow the small boat channel to Pointe aux Baril, then all the way down through Parry Sound.IMG_20220808_120346549_HDR.jpgIMG_20220808_120743320_HDR.jpg

There are a couple of tight spots, but it's a great trip. I like the passage behind Philip Edward Island to Beaverstone Bay heading south from Killarney.

Bad River is a great spot to stop over. Just south of there you can follow the small boat channel to Pointe aux Baril, then all the way down through Parry Sound.View attachment 138541View attachment 138542

Hi Jeff - You must be talking about the Collins Inlet! We've looked at that and other than the far eastern turn down into Beaver Stone Bay, it looks wonderful! That little channel at the corner looks as though it can be really shallow.....If the water level is high we will def. be going that way. South of that is still up in the air.....Even while living and boating up here on the rocky Maine coast, that eastern shore of Georgian Bay is a tad intimidating! I'm looking at charts left and right....!

You headed up there anytime soon?
Thanks for the input Jeff!

I dont believe there are any issues w the Inland Small Craft Route. We are about 3 ft 6 in draft and never gave it.much thought. A lower wayer year might change things. Worth a check.but I believe the lakes are still high. We didnt go as far N as Killar.ney but did go N of Parry Sound. The large tour boats fo the south channel out.of Parry Sound. Some sections you need to issue a Securite to make sure.no approaching boats but due to.width not depth.

Thanks for the info! We leave next week for WI so there's lots on our minds about the course we want to take. Really like the looks of that small boat channel, but man...there's a lot there to watch out for!!

We'll let you know how it goes!!

Even while living and boating up here on the rocky Maine coast, that eastern shore of Georgian Bay is a tad intimidating! I'm looking at charts left and right....!

You headed up there anytime soon?

Fortunately there are no tides or significant currents. You'll have it all to yourself until you get to Parry Sound. And it's almost all sheltered from the lake. If you're timid stay outside until you get to Pointe aux Baril. The main small boat passage is relatively easy from there all the way down.

I went through Collins Inlet in early August of last year and had lots of water. Escapade draws 4' and I remembered it being shallow from previous passages. But the lake level is still high. Stop for the night in Killarney and ask the locals. It's just the head of Beaverstone Bay that gets silted up. It may get dredged occasionally.

I just threw off my lines in Toronto and will take the Trent-Severn up to Georgian Bay and beyond. Will keep a watch for you.

Jeff
Escapade

Hi I have for sale paper charts covering the area that you will be sailing If you are interested in them I have listed the chart#'s under items for sale I have done the same trip and I am sure that you ll have a wonderful time

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom