Series or Parallel Solar Panels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tpbrady

Guru
Vessel Name
Silver Bay
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42-002
I just installed 4 100W panels on the pilot house roof. They are located on either side of radar scanner pedestal. Currently they each side of 2 panels are connected in series and the each pair is paralleled to connect to the controller. At any given time one of the two panels next to the radar pedestal will be partially shaded by the radar. Is there a better series/parallel arrangement for these 4 panels since one of the 2 panels in series will be partially shaded?

Tom

You would likely get better performance from 2 controllers, one for each side. But the improvement may not be enough when looking at cost/benefit. For such relatively low wattage panels series on each side will be best to increase voltage, and thus reduce voltage drop.

On my system i run 4 controllers, each with a pait of panels in the 330-345W range. On two of the pairs I use locking SS drawer slides to be able to get panels away from shading. Shading kills performance....

You could wire the panels all in parallel which would limit shading interaction among the panels. But you have to have a controller that can accept the higher current and a wire gauge big enough to limit the voltage drop.

David

Back
Top Bottom