Solar Bimini project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got out to the boat today and got the side panels of vinyl installed. I am still waiting on a new snap tool to finish up the back corners. I also still have to lace it up. For now I just have it on with a few zip ties. It is looking sweet. I am really happy with how it is coming out. The wind was howling today and it was a considerable challenge to hold onto the darn thing flapping in the wind while I tried to line up the inboard edge and stick it into the butyl tape, and clamp it down.

Attachments

• IMG_3039.jpg
    IMG_3039.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3041.jpg
    IMG_3041.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3042.jpg
    IMG_3042.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 20
I was out at the boat today and laced on the side panels. The only thing I have left is to install some snaps. My new snap tool was waiting for me when I got home today, so I should be an able to wrap it up next week. I am close enough to done that I can offer some overall thoughts.

I am very happy with the way it it turning out. The only part that I feel like I could have done better on is the outside edge of the side panels. On the front panel I doubled up the fabric 6" back from the leading edge. I figured it needed the stiffness as it extends slightly past the frame and forms a little hat brim hopefully protecting the lacing from drips and uv. On the sides the leading edge is vertical pointing down, instead of horizontal on the front. I figured since I have gravity on my side there was no need to stiffen up the edge with a double layer. What I didn't see coming was the tension caused by setting all the grommets, that made the outside edge less strait than I would like it. It's not super bad, but if I had it to do over I would double up that edge like I did the front.

The project cost me about $3,400.00. About $1500 for the solar panels, $1,200 for stainless steel, and about $650 from Sailrite for fabric and all the other stuff I needed. But only about $2000 of that went on the boat as explained below.

I way over order on Stainless steel as my original plan was to build a much more elaborate frame to hold the panels that I later decided was way more than necessary, and would just be a bunch of extra weight up high where I don't want it on the boat. I only used about $200 worth of the $1200 of SS I bought. I have a bunch left for future projects. I also only used about $300.00 of the $650 is spent at sailrite on the actual bimini. The rest was for stuff I will have for the next project like Gromit punch, and setting tool, extra grommets, snap setting tool, extra snaps, Huge roll of PTFE thread, etc.

I have no idea what it would have cost to have someone build all this for me, but I wouldn't be surprised by $15-20K. I definitely saved money doing it myself.

The old, failed system, I took off (10 flexible panels, mounted on a sunbrella Bimini) Was a very complicated bit of fabrication. I would estimate it would have cost me twice as much in material, and at least twice the labor hours to try and recreate what was there. I am hopeful that the system I built will also last 2-3x as long as the old one did.

In general I think this is a really good way to add hard solar panels to a Bimini that was previously Canvas. Using the panels themselves for most of waterproof surface saves a lot of weight and expense compared to adding a hard top, then mounting the panels on top of that. I am also hopeful that it will be very low maintenance, for a very long time.

Attachments

• IMG_3048.jpg
    IMG_3048.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3049.jpg
    IMG_3049.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Finally finished up all the loose ends of this project. I installed the snaps at the back corners, got everything laced tight, and installed the flaps at the back. The flaps cover the three opening hatches and block rain or spray, and funnel the wind in from under the awning. They are nice as you can leave the hatches open even when it is pretty stormy out.

Attachments

• IMG_3056.jpeg
    IMG_3056.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3058.jpeg
    IMG_3058.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3057.jpeg
    IMG_3057.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3075.jpeg
    IMG_3075.jpeg