The next boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilPB

Guru
Vessel Name
Sun Dog
Vessel Make
Mainship 34
After spending 2 1/2 years over-spending, updating and rebuilding many aspects of my current boat I'm now contemplating the next boat. I want something a bit bigger that can still fit into my 45 ft slip. In a perfect world I could trade my boat with someone looking to downsize. I would also like to be able to go 20kt if necessary, doubt I could get mine to do that even with an engine upgrade. As with most toys, I always make it great for the next owner while dumping a lot of my time and money into it where they won't need to.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you just letting us know your plans or are you looking for suggestions for a new boat?

I know I will be able to pickup my next boat, put it on my shoulder and walk into the water with it.

I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you just letting us know your plans or are you looking for suggestions for a new boat?
Code for he is looking for another project but cannot utter the words.

I usually like to buy a boat were it’s already the way I want it or at least buy the boat on the market that is the closest.

I did buy a project boat once. The one I currently own. The key with my project boat was it had all the equipment I wanted and was only truly in need of maintenance and cosmetic work. This made the project much easier and much less expensive.

Code for he is looking for another project but cannot utter the words.

My wife and many others have offered the same sentiment. I justify it by saying that it's my productive addiction.
Something a bit bigger and capable of a higher top end speed would be nice. Cruising at 8-9 knots is fine but I would like something that could approach 20-ish knots if needed would be nice. Also a boat that would get knocked around a bit less would be desirable. The PO was trying to get the boat ready for the Loop but he passed away before he could. I have no interest in the Loop but may eventually do the Floop, did about 1/4 of it when we bought the boat on the Florida Gulf side and brought it home to the east coast.

Greetings,
Mr. P. Sounds to me like you might be looking at a 45'ish convertible sport fish. You're in the right place (South Florida).

Just remember to take the weight of the new project and divide it by the weight of the next project and that is the ratio of work on the new project.
For instance, Viking 43 Double Cabin (34,000)/Mainship 34 ll (14,000) = 2.43 times as much work and money. Viking and Hatteras are better stock to start with and mostly eliminate hull/tank issues with Viking being the lighter boat. Both are probably in your price range and give better return on investment.
All boats have a price range and you are smart to study the project well first. You want to end up well within the price range when you are done. If you end up in the mid range with a nice boat you might be able to recover as much as $5-10 and hour for your labor. If you end up near the top, you might recoup $0.50 an hour. This is assuming you are worth $100 per hour or more in talent.
Good luck on your next project.

Greetings,
Mr. P. Sounds to me like you might be looking at a 45'ish convertible sport fish. You're in the right place (South Florida).

My slip is 45' so I'm thinking possibly 40'-ish. Buying a larger slip is out of the question, nothing available and very expensive.

Just remember to take the weight of the new project and divide it by the weight of the next project and that is the ratio of work on the new project.
For instance, Viking 43 Double Cabin (34,000)/Mainship 34 ll (14,000) = 2.43 times as much work and money. Viking and Hatteras are better stock to start with and mostly eliminate hull/tank issues with Viking being the lighter boat. Both are probably in your price range and give better return on investment.
All boats have a price range and you are smart to study the project well first. You want to end up well within the price range when you are done. If you end up in the mid range with a nice boat you might be able to recover as much as $5-10 and hour for your labor. If you end up near the top, you might recoup $0.50 an hour. This is assuming you are worth $100 per hour or more in talent.
Good luck on your next project.

Fortunately, I don't think about recovering my costs, that's out of the question. When I sell my current boat, if I get 30% of what was put into it I'd be lucky! Good thing I don't consider it an investment.

Greetings,
Mr. P. Was going to suggest 40ish but I thought it might not be a big enough step up BUT for the properly configured boat, it might be.

Yep. Cost recovery really doesn't enter into MY picture either. Don't want to lose everything but the right boat is foremost in my mind.

Holy crap! Just tried to do a quick search on YW. Regarding the YW thread...They HAVE really dumbed it down. What a bunch of idiots.

Fortunately, I don't think about recovering my costs, that's out of the question. When I sell my current boat, if I get 30% of what was put into it I'd be lucky! Good thing I don't consider it an investment.
This statement just brings up memories that I would just as soon forget. I realize I use to have the same stinkin thinkin that lead me to low self esteem. I came to the conclusion that with a bit of planning, I could do considerably better. Investment? Not unless I can top $200 per hour for my labor. I just don't want to take anything away from my family to fund something I have control over with a bit of good due diligence.
I learned to say no to some really cool boats that rocked my heart with an obvious negative ROI. When I start with good stock, the job is easier, cheaper, more fulfilling and funds my next project. I now drive with my heart and my brain. I have learned that there is a finite life to a boat. There is a point when they are too far gone to bring back economically with DIY and a point you cannot even salvage enough to pay to scape them. My heart still longs to try and a few have been given to me if I would just take them but, I knew I had to pass.
The current boat is my last project boat. I estimated the project perfectly and priced it right. The problem is I have finally run up against and aging body that I cannot easily reverse. What should be a joy is more of a chore and I can now afford a turn key boat.
Time to start using them, not tinkering with them.

This statement just brings up memories that I would just as soon forget. I realize I use to have the same stinkin thinkin that lead me to low self esteem. I came to the conclusion that with a bit of planning, I could do considerably better. Investment? Not unless I can top $200 per hour for my labor. I just don't want to take anything away from my family to fund something I have control over with a bit of good due diligence.
I learned to say no to some really cool boats that rocked my heart with an obvious negative ROI. When I start with good stock, the job is easier, cheaper, more fulfilling and funds my next project. I now drive with my heart and my brain. I have learned that there is a finite life to a boat. There is a point when they are too far gone to bring back economically with DIY and a point you cannot even salvage enough to pay to scape them. My heart still longs to try and a few have been given to me if I would just take them but, I knew I had to pass.
The current boat is my last project boat. I estimated the project perfectly and priced it right. The problem is I have finally run up against and aging body that I cannot easily reverse. What should be a joy is more of a chore and I can now afford a turn key boat.
Time to start using them, not tinkering with them.

I like tinkering and improving everything I own and always will, that's my life process. I don't lose any time from my family and get my boat out 1-2 times every week. I would guess 95% of the boats in my marina are just dock appendages, most are relatively new, being turn key and all, and they are not used, they just float there. I use mine frequently and am constantly improving it. I love projects, it is my retirement plan and I'm sticking to it. Also, my post about having a lot of $ spent on the boat is not a complaint, I've learned a lot about marine systems, don't think about ROI (thats only for my investments), and am perfectly happy with every expenditure on the boat

Last edited:
Well, I don't know budget or style preferences, but if you're looking for a solid build, a bit older, that can easily cruise at 20kts when desired, one of the earlier Grand Banks Eastbay models would fit the bill. There is a shorter flybridge version (43') and one is on the market now. The sportfish suggestion above is of course also spot on in terms of speed. Beyond that you're looking at a different style of boat (to me) - Searay, Tiara, Regal, etc. Too many of that style to list! https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1999-grand-banks-eastbay-fb-9033492/

I like tinkering and improving everything I own and always will, that's my life process. I don't lose any time from my family and get my boat out 1-2 times every week. I would guess 95% of the boats in my marina are just dock appendages, most are relatively new, being turn key and all, and they are not used, they just float there. I use mine frequently and am constantly improving it. I love projects, it is my retirement plan and I'm sticking to it. Also, my post about having a lot of $ spent on the boat is not a complaint, I've learned a lot about marine systems, don't think about ROI (thats only for my investments), and am perfectly happy with every expenditure on the boat

Phil I just want to say that you are my doppelganger in thinking. I have my current boat as I evolved along with my wife to the current one leaving money behind, enjoying every moment with no regrets. You cannot take it with you.
Living the life we want.
I will continue to thinker with this one to make it mine without considering it as an investment.

Phil I just want to say that you are my doppelganger in thinking. I have my current boat as I evolved along with my wife to the current one leaving money behind, enjoying every moment with no regrets. You cannot take it with you.
Living the life we want.
I will continue to thinker with this one to make it mine without considering it as an investment.

As stated by someone smarter than yours truely a while back, a boat is not a financial decision, it is a lifestyle decision. It's not an investment, it's a depreciating asset.

Personally, I can’t wait to buy another asset which depreciates and brings me immense joy. Seems like a win to me.

My next boat....

Phil,
It could be worth taking a look at the "downeastboatforum.com", I think that hull-type would give you a very stable platform in most seas, or just sitting at anchor, and most can easily cruise at 18+ knots, but also slow down to trolling speeds, since they are based on hulls for lobstering or fishing. Some of the more well-known names you will see are Calvin Beal, Wesmac, Webbers Cove, Young Bros. and Ellis, but there are a lot of small builders active in the Northeast, and plenty of project boats if that is the direction you decide to go.
A lot of the Downeast posters are commercial operators, and have built their own boats, or modified existing boats themselves, so you would be able to get a lot of specific and practical advice. They are probably even more opinionated that TF'ers!?
Good luck!

My slip is 45' so I'm thinking possibly 40'-ish. Buying a larger slip is out of the question, nothing available and very expensive.

For a data point... a Silverton 42 Convertible is approx 46' OAL (i.e., including pulpit and swim platform) and will cruise at about 22 kts.

They used Cats (3126s, I think), Volvo TAMDs, Cummins 450Cs, and Yanmar something-or-others over the years. (There was also a gas version, not many made, ignore.)

Silverton was part of Luhrs Group, along with Mainship... (our '87 Mainship 34 was still built by Silverton, i.e., before company spin-off)... and engineering and systems are similar. There's probably a Luhrs (brand) convertible that's similar to the 42C, too.

-Chris

Reference of the discussion above regarding "Investments", and "ROI":
If you are thinking of purchasing a cruising boat and believe that it is an "Investment", and you are expecting a "return", ie; a profit, when selling, after totaling up what you spent on it . . . . I would suggest that you don't understand boats!:whistling:
I'm mean, sure, there must be people out there who have bought boats, cruised with them, and sold them for more than they have into them . . . . , I mean, they must exist, right? But in 40+ years of boat, I've never met one.:dance:

Reference of the discussion above regarding "Investments", and "ROI":
If you are thinking of purchasing a cruising boat and believe that it is an "Investment", and you are expecting a "return", ie; a profit, when selling, after totaling up what you spent on it . . . . I would suggest that you don't understand boats!:whistling:
I'm mean, sure, there must be people out there who have bought boats, cruised with them, and sold them for more than they have into them . . . . , I mean, they must exist, right? But in 40+ years of boat, I've never met one.:dance:

I must admit that I have never recouped my boat expenditures on the last 9 boats I have owned, not that I ever expected to either

For a data point... a Silverton 42 Convertible is approx 46' OAL (i.e., including pulpit and swim platform) and will cruise at about 22 kts.

They used Cats (3126s, I think), Volvo TAMDs, Cummins 450Cs, and Yanmar something-or-others over the years. (There was also a gas version, not many made, ignore.)

Silverton was part of Luhrs Group, along with Mainship... (our '87 Mainship 34 was still built by Silverton, i.e., before company spin-off)... and engineering and systems are similar. There's probably a Luhrs (brand) convertible that's similar to the 42C, too.

-Chris

Unfortunately,.for the time being I am stuck with my 45' slip. One 50' came on the market recently but was sold quickly. If I could get a 55' foot slip in my marina it would be a good find and I think that would be the right size. They are also getting rather pricey and there are slim pickings.

Back
Top Bottom