water dispensor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
I want to set up a simple tap water supply to supply running water when the f.w. pump is turned off.

I first tried a collapsible 5 gallon water cube with garden hose adapter. It didn't work out as planned: the flexible hose was too rigid (it was soft in hot water but became hard again after cooled) and the lid adapter started to leak after a few yanks of the hose, leaving a mess on countertop.

I'm considering a 4 gallon bucket , more flexible hose and a water pump. This pump looks potential as it's 110v powered and demand diaphragm, but it's powerful enough for much more than what I need (1-2gpm). Is there any alternative options?

Attachments

• IMG_8653.jpg
    IMG_8653.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8652.jpg
    IMG_8652.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 13
I want to set up a simple tap water supply to supply running water when the f.w. pump is turned off.

Why turn the freshwater pump off?

And/or why not use dockside water supply when you're aboard?

What are you intending to solve?

-Chris

We tried these dispensers. They grow algae. It can't be avoided unless you store it in the fridge. Our fridge is too small for that.

Here is what we installed so that we can drink off of our water tanks:

https://generalecology.com/boat-rv/boats/

We installed the 'RS2QC' a couple of years ago. i don't think that the QC@-PB was available back then. We tapped ours into the cold water feed in the galley.

Now, if you're objective is to have this work without the pressure pump, then install one of these inline with it:

https://defender.com/en_us/whale-gusher-mk3-manual-galley-foot-pump

I am with Chris on this one...why turn the pump off?

If it must be...what kind of water setup are you looking for and what does it need to do?

The dock water is turned off in winter

The boat has water lines on the sundeck and near the transom, these areas are subject to freezing temp, I want to keep these lines empty during freezing periods. Because there are no separation valves, I always turn off the pump and leave those faucets open until it warms up again

To have running water when the pump is off, I thought to place a water container on the table top, connect a garden hose coupling a faucet valve to it, then water flows down along the hose when the faucet opens.

Why turn the freshwater pump off?

And/or why not use dockside water supply when you're aboard?

What are you intending to solve?

-Chris

The boat has water lines on the sundeck and near the transom, these areas are subject to freezing temp, I want to keep these lines empty during freezing periods. Because there are no separation valves, I always turn off the pump and leave those faucets open until it warms up again

To have running water when the pump is off, I thought to place a water container on the table top, connect a garden hose coupling a faucet valve to it, then water flows down along the hose when the faucet opens.

Why not to use a 5gal jug like for home water fountain and connect a small pump to it. You can toss it under a galley counter top or on the side, slip a hose in and connect a small faucet like for filtered water to the pump. Easy and cheap.

L

Why not to use a 5gal jug like for home water fountain and connect a small pump to it. You can toss it under a galley counter top or on the side, slip a hose in and connect a small faucet like for filtered water to the pump. Easy and cheap.

L

the bucket is too large to fit in the galley closet. it can be place on the salon table top and use gravity feeding, or on the salon floor and run a hose across the table top over to the galley sink

what kind of small pump can be used?

I also saw that usb pump. with the bucket on the salon floor, the pump would be too weak to pump through 6ft hose to the galley. it does not provide for adaptation to garden hose fitting either. It's good for short range delivery

Not sure I understand the problem, but in Mexico, 5 gal jugs ("garafon") are used for drinking water.

Here's a simple USB rechargeable pump that works well. https://a.co/d/fd4754C

Walmart carries 5 gal garafons they are made in the US and BPA free.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/American...id=b32c4eac86ad16c13c5b2b665f8f6642&gclsrc=ds

Good luck with the snowstorm headed your way.....

Peter

these filtration system is very nice to have, but the galley area is pinched, there is not even space to fit the foot pump. I need a pump that's remains on to provide water on demand, so that pump in my first post does fit the purpose, but I don't know if the 4gpm flow rate is a concern, it's powerful to support an entire RV anyway. generally can the 45psi that it's regulated to maintain be adjusted lower?

We tried these dispensers. They grow algae. It can't be avoided unless you store it in the fridge. Our fridge is too small for that.

Here is what we installed so that we can drink off of our water tanks:

https://generalecology.com/boat-rv/boats/

We installed the 'RS2QC' a couple of years ago. i don't think that the QC@-PB was available back then. We tapped ours into the cold water feed in the galley.

Now, if you're objective is to have this work without the pressure pump, then install one of these inline with it:

https://defender.com/en_us/whale-gusher-mk3-manual-galley-foot-pump

Gotcha. Maybe buy a spare 12v water pump and adapt garden hose fittings? Search for bulkhead water fittings to put a fitting and barbed nipple hose adapter on the bottom of your bucket; connect the pump and away you go.

In Mexico, we have a similar issue about water but not due to freezing but rather because of non-potable water (most of mexico has this challenge). 5 gal bottles seems to be the universal workaround.

Again, good luck with snow storm headed your way. Stay warm.

Peter

Thanks. this year's snow has been mild. I haven't needed to use the snow shovel to clean the rooftop.

There is a 12v version which is also 4gpm/45psi. I'd get 110v version that plugs in an outlet so it is somewhat "potable" and I don't need worry about how to wire to the pump. With the pump, the hose would enter the bucket from the top opening rather than from a bottom location via a Rainpal fitting

Gotcha. Maybe buy a spare 12v water pump and adapt garden hose fittings? Search for bulkhead water fittings to put a fitting and barbed nipple hose adapter on the bottom of your bucket; connect the pump and away you go.

In Mexico, we have a similar issue about water but not due to freezing but rather because of non-potable water (most of mexico has this challenge). 5 gal bottles seems to be the universal workaround.

Again, good luck with snow storm headed your way. Stay warm.

Peter

This thread reminded me I have a fresh water tap in the cockpit locker. It did not freeze in the recent cold snap. But I think I may install a shut off tap in a less vulnerable location. Or eliminate the never used water source.

I saw a small seaflo pump rated for 1.2 gpm 35psi. max 2.7A

is it easy to convert 110v ac to provide the required dc input? the normal converter is not directly compatible with the dc wiring on the pump

Last edited:

Got it.

Install a separation valve?

Presumably that'd allow you to service the rest of the boat with water too. Heads and so forth...

??

-Chris

Got it.

Install a separation valve?

Presumably that'd allow you to service the rest of the boat with water too. Heads and so forth...

??

-Chris

I have explored the copper lines fixed against the ER aft bulkhead, the options are either install two valves by moving the genny away, or install four valves by disconnecting multiple hoses. since the copper lines are clamped to the bulkhead using many screws, the installation requires either taking off all clamps and doing a lot of wiggling, or soldering some sweat fitting T valves. given these lines could be brittle, I intend to keep the way they are now

Just get an office water cooler. they have models now that the water bottle goes on the bottom so it is not top heavy, also the benefit of hot and cold water.

this seaflo bottle water system seems promising. see the the video in the first comment , that seems to be in an RV

does anyone know what fitting is used to adapt the 1/4" discharge tube to the sink supply hose? I would adapt to a garden hose instead of tap into the sink hoses

If your boat has internal potable water tanks, fill them and just use your water system and pump as you normally would.

There is no need to turn the pump off.

If your boat has internal potable water tanks, fill them and just use your water system and pump as you normally would.

There is no need to turn the pump off.

See OP's post #7.

-Chris

the seaflo bottle water pump comes with a 7/16" 24 UNS Thread to 1/4" Quick Attach, which looks like this coupling

i never heard of the UNS thread. I remember the water supply line thread is 1/2" npt. what applications use 7/16" 24 UNS Thread ?

Water Dispenser

OK, well I'm not entirely sure what you are using this intended water supply for. I read some of your posts and didn't pick up why you are doing this. The hose and hose fittings are a conundrum that I don't understand.

I would ask, are you a live aboard that you NEED a winter water supply but 1 of your comments makes me think that isn't the case? Does the marina have an open head to use during the winter?

We have a 43 Albin Sundeck and lost our stern water connection due to me trusting someone else to do our winterizing. That made me a 'never again trust someone else to do jobs I should & can do'.

Hopefully you have winterized your boat. We use pink in all water lines and yes leave the spigots open as well.

We have a side door that is on the port side and between the door and a locker there was a space just wide enough for a water cooler, which also heats water. Holds a 5 gal bottle in the base, BUT, we lost 1 of those when we didn't winterize it properly. NO PINK but you would need to drain it each time you used it during the winter. We also have a hand pump which fits in the 5 gal bottle, incase we'd lost the contained pump but the bottle was still usable.

This (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Avalon-Bottom-loading-Cold-and-Hot-Water-Cooler/1001721824) is what the cooler looks like and this (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Primo-Fountain-Cool/50385770) is what the pump would look like.

When we go to provision, we will pick up 1 gal bottles from Walmart, etc, to refill the 5 gal bottle but we always keep a gal bottle in the galley for morning coffee.

Hope this helps, any questions, PM me.

Good luck.

I visited an Albin 43 last June. with an LOA 47ft, the interior is more roomy than marine trader 40

I live aboard and keep inside heated. This should have kept the water lines from freezing including the lines close to the water fills or transom shower as long as the power remains on. but I have to keep watching shore power status.

what went wrong in that winterization process that led to the damage of the stern water connection? is that the dock water inlet on the transom?

OK, well I'm not entirely sure what you are using this intended water supply for. I read some of your posts and didn't pick up why you are doing this. The hose and hose fittings are a conundrum that I don't understand.

I would ask, are you a live aboard that you NEED a winter water supply but 1 of your comments makes me think that isn't the case? Does the marina have an open head to use during the winter?

We have a 43 Albin Sundeck and lost our stern water connection due to me trusting someone else to do our winterizing. That made me a 'never again trust someone else to do jobs I should & can do'.

Hopefully you have winterized your boat. We use pink in all water lines and yes leave the spigots open as well.

We have a side door that is on the port side and between the door and a locker there was a space just wide enough for a water cooler, which also heats water. Holds a 5 gal bottle in the base, BUT, we lost 1 of those when we didn't winterize it properly. NO PINK but you would need to drain it each time you used it during the winter. We also have a hand pump which fits in the 5 gal bottle, incase we'd lost the contained pump but the bottle was still usable.

This (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Avalon-Bottom-loading-Cold-and-Hot-Water-Cooler/1001721824) is what the cooler looks like and this (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Primo-Fountain-Cool/50385770) is what the pump would look like.

When we go to provision, we will pick up 1 gal bottles from Walmart, etc, to refill the 5 gal bottle but we always keep a gal bottle in the galley for morning coffee.

Hope this helps, any questions, PM me.

Good luck.

Hmmm

In Alaska what I did as a year round liveaboard was to block off and blow out water lines going to areas that are unheated.

I cannot imagine living on a boat without running water. That is not living, it is existing.

it must require a lot of heat for the winter season there

it's my first winter on a boat. afterall, life is still on a sort of reduced state. running water is in the marina shower room. the purpose of this thread is to add running (cold) water for washing hand/dishes.

Hmmm

In Alaska what I did as a year round liveaboard was to block off and blow out water lines going to areas that are unheated.

I cannot imagine living on a boat without running water. That is not living, it is existing.

Back
Top Bottom