We suspect my high protein diet keeps clogging toilet - HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarrieLeigh

I'm a fitness enthusiast and eat a very high protein diet, it keeps clogging the duck (?) valve and my poor husband is constantly having to take the head apart. We bought some Noflex Digestor but that hasn't fixed the problem. It only happens to when I go, never hubs so we do strongly suspect it's related to my high protein diet.

HELP!!!

If you're not adding water to the bowl ahead of solids, you need to start doing that. Solid waste would clog a toilet on land with no water in the bowl. If your toilet isn't designed to bring in water and hold it, use a cup from the sink...if it won't stay in the bowl long enough for you go, add it immediately before going (pour it in between your legs). You may also need a new joker valve. Adding water ahead of use will also reduce the amount of flushing needed to rinse the bowl and plumbing after use.

You might also consider increasing the amount of fiber in your diet and the amount of water (doesn't have to be just plain water) you drink daily.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply!

What you're saying completely makes sense, that the toilet is not keeping the water in the bowl while I sit and go for 10-15 minutes, so it makes sense to add water to ensure there's liquid when flushing. So it may not be the high protein diet at all, rather my lengthy sit on the bowl and the solids clog up as the liquid drains whilst I sit. Ah-ha, makes perfect sense!!!

Thank you!!!!

I eat 40-60 g of fiber per day, and drink at least 2 gallons of alkaline water a day, got that covered, lol!

I have your book....And you're definitely #1 in the #2 biz!

As well as providing valuable, constant ongoing advice to forums.
It’s a messy, awkward business, but Peggy seems to always sort it out, and deserves the accolades and support from the community she helps. :thumb:

What you're saying completely makes sense, that the toilet is not keeping the water in the bowl while I sit and go for 10-15 minutes, so it makes sense to add water to ensure there's liquid when flushing. So it may not be the high protein diet at all, rather my lengthy sit on the bowl and the solids clog up as the liquid drains whilst I sit...
Might a flush (or 2?) during the 10-15 minute visit help? A sort of "intermediate" flush before the final one.

I don't think so,, Bruce. If you think about the loo at home, there's always water IN the bowl to carry the deposit through the plumbing...it refills automatically after each flush. Flushing solids without water in even a wet bowl bowl results in "skid marks" that have to be cleaned by hand. Solid waste is 75% water, plus it's broken up or macerated as it goes through the toilet pump so it dissolves fairly quickly IN water, so you also need less flush water after the bowl is empty to rinse the bowl and the plumbing. That may not be worth much on land, but for boat and rv owners who must use holding tanks, less flush water extends their capacity considerably. In fact, with at least half bowl of water in the bowl you can even "dry" flush, followed by only about a liter of water to rinse out the toilet discharge line.

--Peggie

I agree.

I think the most important thing is to have water in the bowl before you flush. If the water always drains while going I would add before flushing for sure. Even with #2 in a dry bowl adding a liter or 2 on top should insure a successful "grind" and pass through the ducks. Followed by a rinse of course.

If Peggie's recommendations don't work, and if a diet modification is out of the question...

Water not standing in the (VacuFlush?) bowl might suggest the bowl seal could need replacing?

Perhaps another more expensive approach could be to change the current toilet (VacuFlush?) to an electric macerating model. Raritan's Marine Elegance always gets good online reviews...

Can't say I'm all that impressed with our VacuFlush systems... and in our case replacing would actually reclaim some nifty storage space where our vacuum generators live.

-Chris

Try eating a probiotic like Activia twice a day. Passing rocks through your own plumbing isn't healthy either.

Ted

I wouldn't be surprised that the problem starts with a partially clogged up hose that is restricting the flush

Try eating a probiotic like Activia twice a day. Passing rocks through your own plumbing isn't healthy either.

Ted

Yes, sounds like a gut culture issue...that much protein would overpower anything. If she would work on that with same tenacity, a couple of weeks would likely have things getting on track.

Arf arf arf

Attachments

• FA6DB2DE-8A6B-448E-B8D1-13FB7798197C.jpeg
    FA6DB2DE-8A6B-448E-B8D1-13FB7798197C.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 13
I wouldn't be surprised that the problem starts with a partially clogged up hose that is restricting the flush

Agreed. We had occasional clogging issues with our Vacuuflush, but I noticed the primary culprit was the toilet paper. Even though we have always used Scott singe-ply, TP seemed to be the problem.

Then when we replaced the hose, there was only about a quarter-inch hole in the years of build-up inside the hose. No wonder it clogged occasionally!

Installed new Sani-flex hose and no more clogs. So it's possible that a restricted hose is preventing enough water to adequately clear the duck bills.

I don't think the problem is with the Vac U Flush pipes, I think it is with Carries pipes.
A very high protein diet is hard on both pipes. Struggling to go for 10-15 minutes with a high protein diet could cause diverticulitis and possibly diverticulosis. Start taking powered Metamucil. You can also take 100mg of over the counter Colace. 100 in the morning and 100 at night. Both pipes will love it.

When the boat head was getting clogged by my wife only, it wasn't her diet that was the root cause, it was the amount of TP she was using. Not accusing, just sayin'.

I put a bidet on our head so the amount of TP has been cut in half, my wife refuses to use it…

Reactions: PNW
Camodave, I would say you've reduced YOUR TP use by 100%, but the total TP use may be reduced by much less than 50% if you know what I mean...;)

Last edited:
TP habits are learned early in life and are very rarely changed. The variance in number of squares used between toilet users is surprizingly large.

Absolutely. Ask my wife how much she uses…

There was a recent thread about NOT putting TP into the toilet. Views varied from "Ugh" to "works well". TP goes in a plastic liner bag in a lidded container kept beside the toilet, bag goes in the trash. Not that confronting, you only use one side of the TP. Surprisingly, unpleasant odor is not present.
The "ick" factor alone will prevent many trying it but your head and tank will thank you, whatever brand/type of head is fitted.

For some unknown reason, many Americans (norte americanos) do not like bidets.

I guess it's the water stream on the tenders that sets them off. I dunno.

But I can tell you I have 2 bidets in the house and 2 in the boat.

Water is much kinder on the bottom than paper - :)

For some unknown reason, many Americans (norte americanos) do not like bidets.

I guess it's the water stream on the tenders that sets them off. I dunno.

But I can tell you I have 2 bidets in the house and 2 in the boat.

Water is much kinder on the bottom than paper - :)

And much cleaner…

There was a recent thread about NOT putting TP into the toilet. Views varied from "Ugh" to "works well". TP goes in a plastic liner bag in a lidded container kept beside the toilet, bag goes in the trash. Not that confronting, you only use one side of the TP. Surprisingly, unpleasant odor is not present.
The "ick" factor alone will prevent many trying it but your head and tank will thank you, whatever brand/type of head is fitted.

We have tried that and it worked fine. I was surprised that it didn’t smell. But then we got rid of the VacuFlush head and with the Marine Elegance TP isn’t an problem.

Bidet at home is great. Surprised more people don`t have one.

Reactions: PNW
We have tried that and it worked fine. I was surprised that it didn’t smell. But then we got rid of the VacuFlush head and with the Marine Elegance TP isn’t an problem.

Marine elegance says in their literature that choice of TP doesn’t matter. Is that really the case?

It can`t matter if it`s kept out of the head. Sounds like it`s quantity rather than quality that`s the problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom