12v selector switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac G

I am contemplating a system wherein an existing push button switch will control either of two separate devices where I can swtich back and forth between the two and only one device will have power at any gicven time depending on the selection made on this new switch, never both at once.
Both devices are low amps so do not want to use a battery selector switch but that is the sort of switch I am looking for.

Someone recommended an ON/OFF/ON toggle switch similar to what are used on bilge pumps to switch between auto and manual, but in those cases the same device is being served.
I want to serve two separate devices.

What do you recommend and what is such a switch called?

Thank you

It's either a single pole or double pole, depending on whether you want to switch the positive or positive and negative.

The switch term is "double throw center off". So, "double pole, double throw center off" would switch two wires.

Ted

I am contemplating a system wherein an existing push button switch will control either of two separate devices where I can swtich back and forth between the two and only one device will have power at any gicven time depending on the selection made on this new switch, never both at once.
Both devices are low amps so do not want to use a battery selector switch but that is the sort of switch I am looking for.

Someone recommended an ON/OFF/ON toggle switch similar to what are used on bilge pumps to switch between auto and manual, but in those cases the same device is being served.
I want to serve two separate devices.

What do you recommend and what is such a switch called?

Thank you

Toggle switch (on)-off-(on) SPDT (in your case you only want to cut the positive so SP=Single Pole)

lot different ones exist with or without light but here is an example:
https://canada.newark.com/carling-technologies/6fc53-73-tabs/switch-toggle-spdt-15a-250v/dp/72R6966

L

In the single pole double throw, center off switch (on/off/on), the center post is the power in. The outside posts are for whatever device you want to power, depending on the position of the switch.
This only switches one side of the electricity, typically the dc plus, or ac hot.
If you want to switch both sides you need a double pole, double throw, center off.
Be sure the two “on” positions are maintained, not momentary.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom