6-pack and Voyager question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Okumejoe

Hi Everyone I need your expert opinion. I have a sailing business here in North Texas and want to add a trawler to my lineup. A Voyager has caught my eye as a suitable small captained charter boat. But, looking at the specs and seating arrangement I'm not sure that she would be a suitable fit. I am too far away for a casual inspection. Can anyone shed light on the maximum passengers and their overall comfort with this model. Thanks in advance.

Are you talking about a Willard 30 Voyager layout? Screenshot_20230809_121216_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Hello sir. Yes the Voyager. Can 6 or 7 people be comfortable on this boat? A combination of inside and outside is ok.

Perhaps you should describe your use, as the answer almost certainly depends an awful lot on sea/weather conditions, activities and duration. I suspect overnight is a non-starter, but that a 2 hour harbor cruise on a nice day with no more than cocktails and light pre-prepared hors d'oeuvres would be fine.

Thank you. That was my thoughts. Location inland Texas lake in good to fair weather. Some anchoring and swimming. Two to three hour cruises and no overnights. Would need to add a boarding ladder.

You can fit 3 people in the pilothouse but 2 will be standing. 2-4 could sit on the foredeck. 2-4 on the aft deck.

These boats roll a bit. Would need to assure solid handhold to get forward.

Definitely a cute character boat and workable.

Peter

Thank you. That was my thoughts. Location inland Texas lake in good to fair weather. Some anchoring and swimming. Two to three hour cruises and no overnights. Would need to add a boarding ladder.

For that use I would think you would want a boat with less enclosed space, like a center console or cuddy cabin.

Thanks for your insight Peter. I think the “character” will help bookings. Doug

Thanks for your insight Peter. I think the “character” will help bookings. Doug
I owned a Willard 30 Searcher model, which is fairly similar. I think 6 paying passengers might be tight. There is no great seating, so folks would be standing, which can be tedious. If there isn't already a decent bench in the cockpit, building one would help. Not sure what your plan is for refreshments which would also take up space.

Frankly, if your business plan pencils out with 4 paying passengers, I think you'd be alright. 6 might push it a bit. The boat can handle 6 friends, but paying passengers often have a higher expectation.

Peter

What lake may I ask?

Also curious why a trawler? For marketing with "sea going" appeal?

Been around a lot of sightseeing boats and day cruise boats, not sure that kind of trawler would be what I would use.

My answer is no, not really suitable, but my "would be" business plan may not mirror yours

Have you thought about a Down East style boat?
I would think more open space vs closed cabin would accommodate passengers better and lend itself to customizing seating.
I can envision a lobster style boat with a custom hardtop & seating still being attractive and practical.

I’ve been looking into those too. My only reservation is air conditioning. Gets very hot for long periods in the summer here. I could do portable ac for the guests. I’ll keep looking. Thanks

Thanks, you have all been helpful and I now agree the Voyager would not be suitable.

Most of the party charter boats here are pontoons or high powered express cruisers. I prefer a more traditional look and better fuel economy and air conditioning. My sailboat business is showing me I’m getting to old and need a few more comforts.

I go to and RV at Ray Roberts all the time, my son lives over in Pilot Point.

If you want a sales gimmick...how about a genuine Chesapeake Bay Deadrise oyster and crab boat. Have a after canvas with some roll up sides, plenty of room for coolers, chairs and chaise lounges? If part of the top is a hard top like some, you could store floats and tubes on top. Throw some crab traps and nets around to give it a touristy look. Maybe have for interested parties a crab boil or steamed oyster lunch catered.

Also.... pretty economical and shallow enough draft, but enough speed to get around faster than a 6-8 knot trawler.

May be easier to ship also with a lower profile.

Even closer would be a Louisiana Bateau with a similar theme.

Attachments

• IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 22
  • fg_13_15 (1).jpg
    fg_13_15 (1).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I’m on Lake Lewisville northwest of Dallas.
That's where my MS 34HT was before I purchased it and moved it to the NE.
Actually a MS 34 HT might provide the space & AC you are looking for by clearing the saloon and being creative with seating.
The fwd cabin would be " wasted space" for just day cruising.

You are right. I’ll have to move something here and I don’t need sleeping space except for storage. I’m thinking of a down east style might be a better fit.

Peter, I like your thinking. A down east would be a better fit. Several are available in the NE. Ray Robert’s is a nice lake for camping and boating. I looked at a boat there that wasn’t as advertised. I looked at a Sea Ray trawler on Texoma that I thought had poor fly bridge access and was a little too tired.

I think for the size lake you are discussing; you really don't need the deep draft and heavy construction of many DownEast boats. One would though still better that a full cabin trawler.

Quite a few of those Chessie deadrises are used for charter fishing boats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom