79 Albin36 with hynautic steering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eli27

Good afternoon all!! Happy New Year and hope all is well with everyone.

So, another question as usual. Wondering if anyone has upgraded there steering. Or maybe I shouldn't say "upgraded" but rather just made a change,,, in total turns from lock to lock.

My total turns is almost 5 complete turns. I was wondering if anyone has changed to less turns like 3 or so. Not liking my time spent on the wheel in tight quarters spinning the boat around. No thrusters, single engine.

I would think all I have to do is replace the pumps?!? Seeing that my upper has a seep to it, instead of repairing it, might as well replace them with what I want. I'm just not sure if I'd have to do the ram as well.

Thanks in advance for all comments and advice

Eli

I had adjustable stroke on my 83 Albin. Don’t have a picture handy but it had an adjustment knob on the front to change the stroke of the rotary pump.
It was 1 1/2 turns from center to full rudder. The change did not make it any more noticeably harder to turn.

If you change the pump to one with a faster oil delivery then the cylinder will move faster also. Worry about the ram later if there is still not enough faster movement.

Measure the cylinder or look for a label which should tell you the stroke and diameter of the cylinder from which you can then calculate the capacity and figure out what the turns will be.

Helm pumps are well over $1k each. What kind of autopilot for you have? Wondering if you can install a jog lever and use it instead of the wheel.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom