Holey sink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bay Retriever

Vessel Name
Bay Retriever
Vessel Make
2004 Mainship 400
Planned to upgrade main sink faucet with one that has spray wand. Boat yard just called during install to inform me they found a small hole in one of the two sink basins. See attached pic. Wondering if anyone has replaced their sink yet. My boat is a 2004 Mainship 400 with original equipment. Yard said they would try fixing, possibly spot weld. Please advise of any reliable sources for replacing the sink or steps to repair.

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 26
I dropped a chef’s knife in a stainless steel that landed point first on one of our boats. :eek: It was an under counter sink so removal/replacement wasn’t an option. I degreased the hole and the bottom. On the underside, I used a square piece of duct tape. I then used slightly thickened West System epoxy and filled the hole from the top and forced enough epoxy to just make a small bulge on the underside and smoothed the expoxy on the top. When we sold the boat 10 years later it never leaked and you really had to look for the patch. I feel your pain. :flowers:

I would try the West epoxy first and if it doesn’t hold then replace the sink. I might put some 1708 glass on the bottom to reinforce it. Scuff the metal where the glass soes with some sandpaper, maybe 120 grit and then clean with acetone before applying the epoxy.

I dropped a chef’s knife in a stainless steel that landed point first on one of our boats. :eek: It was an under counter sink so removal/replacement wasn’t an option. I degreased the hole and the bottom. On the underside, I used a square piece of duct tape. I then used slightly thickened West System epoxy and filled the hole from the top and forced enough epoxy to just make a small bulge on the underside and smoothed the expoxy on the top. When we sold the boat 10 years later it never leaked and you really had to look for the patch. I feel your pain. :flowers:

+1

Rob

My last boat had a grey water metal sump tank. It had a disused screwhole for attaching the bilge pump. Metal was thin, I epoxied a small coin on the inside of the tank as a patch.

I think I would replace the sink. It's a little too small for a double sink anyway, and at least on my 400, it isn't quite level which causes the water to collect in the corners away from the drains. Sinks never totally drain.

I haven't looked closely at how it is mounted, but I think it shouldn't be too hard to replace.

Back
Top Bottom