80’s 38 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cosmo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Shear Bliss
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 44
We just closed on the sale of our boat and the search for her replacement has begun.

We are drawn to the mid 80s 38 OA. My research thus far has her cruise at 8kts with twin 135 Lehmans. What is consumption at this rate? Is she capable of a little more speed if needed?

Any window leak issues? Stringer issues? There are 3 for sale in Washington-one with 6000 hours. They seem to hold their value. Any other tips/tricks on this model to look for? I’d like to minimize the brightwork so earlier models may not work. Looking between 38-45’-ish.

Thank you!

I have a marine trader 38 but it's a single . a 8kt cruise is very optimistic . i doubt it will be vary efficient at that speed . I think my efficiency drops off a cliff at 6 1/2 to 7kn . any pictures ?

Hi Cosmo, I have a 1984 38 OA with twin Perkins 135's. @ 2,000 RPM, 8 kts is right around 3 gal/hr total. I can get 9-10 kts when needed but guessing double the fuel burn. 8 kts is her happy place.
Typical leakage issues, same as most other Taiwan boats of that vintage. We keep ours in a enclosed boathouse so not much of an issue for us. No stringer issues that I'm aware of.
Side and rear deck can have some water intrusion issues. I've met some folks with the same boat that have had some core work done in the past.

Thank you both. Great info as we slowly ramp up for the long boat shopping process.

Still Looking?

Hello Cosmo... old post I know, but if you're still looking for 80's OA's please reach out to me. Best! Chris

Thanks Chris.

We purchased a 44 Tolly this summer.

Good for you! Congratulations!

I have a 1987 OA with twin Volvo-Penta 165 hp turbo and easily cruise at 9-10 knots, unfortunately have not calculated my fuel burn

In that vintage of boat, look closely at the fuel tanks, they are at risk.

pete

Are steel tanks an issue if boat had no teak decks?
Could be. Deck fills are another source.

I was aboard a Roughwater 37 a couple days ago. Tanks were very nicely installed. Well elevated and ventilated around all sides. Should last another 40 years.

Peter

They usually rust because of deck leaks or poor installation but can also rust from water in the fuel. Our last boat had steel tanks and we never had any problems with them. However a year after we sold the boat they started leaking. It was an 87 vintage boat.

I had one tank that was rusted from the top around the fuel fill. The other tank had developed a small leak at the lowest point from inside probably due to contamination.

Back
Top Bottom