Advice on Bayliner 4588

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seadancer

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Dancer
Vessel Make
37' Canoe Cove Sedan Bridge
I'm looking at a Bayliner 4588 for sale locally, and was told by a friend to have the stringers hydro-tested because water intrusion is a common problem in these. Anyone have any other problem areas specific to these that I should look into?

There is a Bayliner Owner group website that might have some good info on it.

I think Kevin (ksanders) might be able to help you. He may be a bit.busy after the storm but he probably will see the thread when he checks in. Or PM him.

Like all 30+ year old boats, history makes a big difference on the current condition. Specifically for the 4588 beware of water intrusion on the fly bridge deck from unsealed penetrations, same with the radar arch and the front deck around the anchor locker. Hinos have proved to be a very rugged diesel but some parts are getting harder to find but there are distributors in the PNW. These like the 4788 have poor access to the engine room but a cutting in a center hatch (common modification ) alleviates that problem.

These boats are a terrific design with more usable living space then some boats that 7 to 10 feet larger.

If you can find one that has spent it's life in covered moorage so much the better.

BOC is a great resource to get any additional questions answered but like most boating websites you tend to see mostly issues and complaints posted.

The Bayliner Owners Club www.baylinerownersclub.org has a wealth of information and owners of that exact model.

Myself I have not heard of stringer problems with the 45 and 47' pilothouse models, and honestly I probably would have heard of the problems.

Things to look for are radar arch issues, and leaks as others have noted on deck surfaces.

Remember that these boats are now approaching 40 years old. The condition will be based on previous maintenance

A search on Bayliner owners group brings up just one thread on the topic. Not seeing a widespread problem. Of course there is always one.
link for stringer
As discussed there stringers may use wood for the glass layup, wood gets wet and rots of course, but the wood is not IMO the the strenght of the stringer, just a placeholder for the glass.

Back
Top Bottom