Anyone familiar with Dominica?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNK

My wife and I are planning on going to Dominica in mid-February, flying because we only have a short window in between chemo treatments.
Anyone familiar with the island who could recommend some good spots for snorkeling, and maybe suggest some places to eat?
Thanks!
Peter

Spent quite some time there but don’t know if would apply. There’s an organization called PAYS in the main cruising harbor Prince Rupert. It’s through them that you get information, things done and book visits to th various attractions. It’s fairly mountainous and untouched. Drop dead glorious. We snorkeled on the edges of the bays but thought investigating the land was the main joy seeing a undeveloped Caribbean island. We did some wandering around the towns and liked Sousfries the best. Did some charity work so had a local lady minister as a guide. Sorry can’t remember restaurant names. Seems to be two separate cultures. Those who live inland and those on the coast
Good things to do are hikes to the hot springs, eat at the various very small road side places in the mountains, do a river cruise. Be alert in the towns but the people are nice. There’s a great couple who runs macario advantage who can hook you up for a day or three of charity work. These people believe in helping themselves not handouts. Believe in durable change . They’re active in Dominica as well as elsewhere in the windwards.

http://www.macarioadvantage.org/

Last edited:
Island of Dominica

Thanks so much, those are really helpful suggestions. Turns out we are staying quite near to Portsmouth and Rupert Bay, but I didn't know anything about PAYS. I will get in touch with them, we are hoping to take a boat to some different snorkeling sights. I am also going to check out the macari site, they could be a good option if my wife isn't physically up to a lot of activity.
Merry Christmas, and thanks again!
Peter

Dominica

We just got back from Dominica, and I wanted to thank you again for the local advice you gave. We absolutely loved the place; not easy to get to, but that way it is much quieter once you are on the island. We did some snorkeling around Cabrits Point, Secret Bay and Toucari Bay, which was great, and spent some time on a fascinating farm called FreeUp Farm, pretty high up in the Syndicate region, which was a real highlight for us. Also had a number of good meals at some local places, including the Sea Bird Cafe, right next to PAYS, which was pretty funky looking, but served us the best Mahi we have ever had. One day we will have to go back on our own boat; spending time sailing from Antigua down to St. Lucia would be a trip to remember.
Peter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom