Best ice class explorer yachts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi everyone, i recently retired and I’m looking to spend more time with my sons so I’m planning to travel the world with them for a 12-18 months before they join they start their careers after law and medical school. I sold my nordhavn 63 a while ago and I really loved it so much. I’m looking for an ice class yacht that is small enough that it could travel through the Amazon and some of its tributaries if it’s possible. I have around a $25-30 million budget and I’d like to not have to increase upon that but I would if something was perfect for our needs. FYI I already have a captain and crew lined up.

A bit confused....ice class to travel the Amazon?

Is it you think an ice hull would be stronger for poorly charted water in case of grounding?

As to the polar regions, are you familiar with the different classes of ice capable ships?

Having spent a lot of time in the Arctic and some in Antarctica.... I really suggest there are ways to visit those places that I would consider much superior than going by yacht.

Last edited:
Troll. Ice class to go up the Amazon? $25-$30M budget for something smaller than a Nordhavn 63?

Did say travel the world.... but that's a lot to see in 18 months without the short, well out of the way and extraordinarily dangerous trips to the polar regions. You can see the world on a computer or documentaries...but to experience the world takes nearly a lifetime of travel.

Having done the cold and the tropics, nice to "see" the polar areas for a few minutes but could spend a lifetime in the tropics..... :D

Last edited:
we have friends in Svalbard and have a few hunting properties in alaska, we really the polar regions but are mainly looking to travel the world especially the amazon rainforrest, use the boat to travel ther deeper sections of the river and use a tender for the more shallow sections.

Last edited:
Money goes a long way to negating compromises and leveling playing fields but boats are one where money runs into problems. An ice class boat great for the arctic is not going to be comfortable up the Amazon river.
With that kind of money and a short window I would be looking at chartering a boat and arctic seasoned crew in the arctic and flying to the Amazon and chartering a different boat and crew familiar with that location. You walk when you are done without the hassle, responsibility, the loss of time with loved one's while dealing with the boat and large open expanses of boring water.
Find a yacht management agency that can do all the legwork, planning and set the whole thing up for you. Use your money to buy time.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Mr. RG. I would suggest you get in touch with a Dutch shipbuilder. Long known for building world class yachts, they may be best to advise you.

Your boat Captain will have all the answers and contacts for the thousands of details and criteria for this vessel search and resulting journey. If he doesn’t, best to redo your search for the right experienced person. The Captain and crew will dictate the success and safety of the journey.

What was the name and hailing port for your N63?

Troll. Ice class to go up the Amazon? $25-$30M budget for something smaller than a Nordhavn 63?

Ding. If you have that kind of budget, with a captain and crew in place, you have many other resources to tap into besides the opinion of well meaning folks on an anonymous forum to help him spend that kind of money.

Last edited:
I want to see the kind of boat <63' that $25-30M buys. Does it have solid gold engines?

On second thought, I can be had as a Project Manager for a mere 5% of the boat build/purchase budget...

I want to see the kind of boat <63' that $25-30M buys. Does it have solid gold engines?

I had a couple of Jimmies with aluminum blocks from minesweeper generators. Detroit also made their big boys (16V’s) with stainless steel blocks for propulsion. What beauties to see!

I’m pretty sure that either Dr. No or Mr. Goldfinger had a pair in solid gold.

we have friends in Svalbard and have a few hunting properties in alaska, we really the polar regions but are mainly looking to travel the world especially the amazon rainforrest, use the boat to travel ther deeper sections of the river and use a tender for the more shallow sections.

Nice. Where are the hunting properties?

Would you consider another N63? Which one did you own?

. . . but are mainly looking to travel the world especially the amazon rainforrest . . . .

I spent many years living in Brazil. In addition to ice capability you may want to consider armour plating.

Look at the doggersbank 67 and 77. Can be done to light ice class. Steel hull(bulletproof) but aluminum house (maybe bullet resistant). Modest draft for a boat that size. Both offered with 3500+nm range if so required.
I assume your budget includes all costs of ownership not just purchase price. Otherwise if not do a one off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom