Can you re-puropse the speed wheel through-hull for a washdown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garmstro55

Vessel Name
Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Make
Mainship 400
My MS400 has the factory Raymarine speed wheel but I don't think it is connected to anything that displays speed through the water, and anyway I really only care about SOG, which I get from my chartplotter.

I don't have a washdown at the bow, which would be nice to have. What would be involved in re-purposing that thru-hull to use for a washdown? I assume the 400's that came from the factory with the washdown had a thru-hull for the water source. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 17
The problem I see with that is for a washdown you would likely want about a 3/4” through hull. The transducer hole is probably about 2” or so. So it would take a very large through hull and seacock to fill the transducer hole.

The problem I see with that is for a washdown you would likely want about a 3/4” through hull. The transducer hole is probably about 2” or so. So it would take a very large through hull and seacock to fill the transducer hole.
But doable and reduce it to fit hose size inside

Yes, it is doable but the large seacock will be expensive.

This is one of those everybody is right questions.

Just what is cheaper? Bigger sea cock adapted down to 3/4" or paying to have the hole glassed over. You can certainly put off filling the hole but some day you will want to remove the defuncted speed sensor and fill the hole. However, you might be able to push that off to someone else's watch.

Which way is safer? I really don't know that answer either.

Some people do not like to patch holes in the hull since it will be a secondary bond. I have done them on several boats without any issues, but I do it very carefully. I grind both sides to a 12:1 taper. Then glass one side with multiple layers of 1708 glass. I use epoxy resin since it is stronger. After doing one side I clean off the amine blush and sand the new glass and clean with acetone. Then layup the second side. Still I would not put the new smaller through hull in that spot, I would install it in virgin hull.

My MS400 has the factory Raymarine speed wheel but I don't think it is connected to anything that displays speed through the water, and anyway I really only care about SOG, which I get from my chartplotter.

I don't have a washdown at the bow, which would be nice to have. What would be involved in re-purposing that thru-hull to use for a washdown? I assume the 400's that came from the factory with the washdown had a thru-hull for the water source. Any thoughts?

Do you have another transducer somewhere, too?

In most cases that I know of, the SOW wheel is just an add-on to the depthfinder/fishfinder transducer...

-Chris

Another option would be to do your glass work to wind up with an integral extra thick backing area (interior) that is much larger than the original hole.

It will probably be stronger than the original section. Epoxy forming ionic bonding beyond a simple secondary bond as in polyester repair.

If done properly I would have no problem putting a smaller through hull in the repair. This type of repair I would have more confidence in than just a flush on both sides type of repair.

When I blow up the photo I don't see any threads on the through-hull above the nut locking it to the hull. IF that is so, there would be little that could be done to simply slap on a bronze reducer to fit a 3/4" valve for your washdown needs.

If the bother and expense of fiber-glassing over the hole only to then drill a smaller hole is daunting, maybe you could investigate replacing the existing mushroom with something the same size with enough threads to which you could attach a reducer.

I have one of these speed sensor/depth sounder installed. The depth part still works to 2 inch readouts, the speed part used to go to a large screen. Mine is black plastic. The wheel part can be removed from inside in water to clean the wheel. If in good shape the one inch hole is available for a thru hull to insert into I suppose.

Thanks for all the good feedback and suggestions. I kinda figured it would involve a big (expensive) seacock and/or some fiberglass work. Not sure if it's worth it to me because I'd also have to feed a supply line through a bulkhead, then under the sole and the master berth. It's going on the back burner for now.

Do you have a raw water inlet for your head? Mine has a Y-valve, which is the water source for the raw water washdown.

Do you have a raw water inlet for your head? Mine has a Y-valve, which is the water source for the raw water washdown.

No, it's a freshwater flush head.

Gary, Have you decided what you will do?

Steve, I am still a bit undecided. Not sure if it is worth a few hundred to get a washdown when I can stretch the hose from a fresh water washdown located near the transom. Maybe if I could find a cheap seacock at a boat flea market or something.

Gary,

I think that the location under the stairs would be a good spot for a washdown pump. The plumbing would be easy to run forward over the top of the holding tank, under the bed and up into the anchor locker. You could tap into the wiring that is already there for the macerator pump.

Understood about the cost of the seacock though. I pulled that transducer wheel out and had the hole glassed over at my last haulout. I think it cost about $350.

Doug

Gary,

I think that the location under the stairs would be a good spot for a washdown pump. The plumbing would be easy to run forward over the top of the holding tank, under the bed and up into the anchor locker. You could tap into the wiring that is already there for the macerator pump.

Understood about the cost of the seacock though. I pulled that transducer wheel out and had the hole glassed over at my last haulout. I think it cost about $350.

Doug

That's probably where I'd put it. It would be nice to be able to tap into an existing thru-hull, like the A/C for example, but I'm worried about unintended consequences, like creating an air lock or starving the A/C unit.

I am of the philosophy that the less holes in a boat, the better.

Back
Top Bottom